Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

11 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Hate to say it but the time is definitely right to be selling McCann. Double winner, NI regular, unofficial YPOTY. His stock can’t get any higher with us.

£2.5 million plus sell on, international caps, promotion to Prem etc...

Would be a massive deal for the club.

You would sell him for £2.5m? I hope Brown drives a harder deal.

You have to consider the above - making one of the group stages could be a huge monetary incentive for the club. It is also dependant on whether the player wants to move as well.

12 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Hate to say it but the time is definitely right to be selling McCann. Double winner, NI regular, unofficial YPOTY. His stock can’t get any higher with us.

If it's to either of the uglies, should be more, £3m +. Players that go there around McCann's age tend to stay there quite a long time (unless they bomb). If he went down south, more likely he'd move around a few clubs.

Personally don’t think £2.5m is enough for him, Aberdeen threw out £1.5m for Ferguson saying they wanted considerably more for him so would expect them to want £2.5+ Ali is a full international he’s won more domestic honours and has now scored an  international goal I would be disappointed if he went for less than 4 million 

2 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

Need more than that I think 

I am sure Callum will have a quiet word with him to see whether he is in a hurry to go or not. I don't think he is the kind of guy to put in a transfer request if a bid is rejected.

Unfortunately agents are involved.

Would be disappointed if he went for less than £4mill. Hopefully not to the OF.

Edited by Cagey

We’re not going to get anywhere near £4m. We’ll take the best 7 figure offer - my guess around £1.5m - £1.75m plus decent add-ons. No way would Broon turn down that kind of money. But we may never know, because Saints don’t disclose. Celtic would be favourites if they weren’t in the state they are. Mid-table Championship would be my guess. There’ll presumably be the usual string of derisory offers from the Sheffrotherhampton Wanderers of the Tesco B Division South types first, no doubt. Obvs would be delighted to be wrong, but we go down this road most summers, and that’s kind of where it ends up - about half the consensus on WAP.

£3m + clauses I reckon. Midfielders generally  command a bigger fee than say, equivalent ability defenders. He's certainly worth more than Doig. He could of course sign an extension- which would be brilliant, but were he to go, Saints are in an interesting situation, because to a large extent our midfield depends on his mobility, distribution and winning midfield battles. 

If we were to get £xyz, how much would Broon make available for transfers? Who could we afford on our wage structure? What is the ambition of the club? Disregarding the cup achievements, 5th in the league is an excellent season. Knowing Broonie as we all do, he knows Saints position- staying in the Premier, targeting top 6. We got 5th and still posted £2m negative cash flow- with cup runs. I suspect SB stated this figure so as to give fans a reality check that if McCann goes, don't expect "big" transfer fees.

If we got £2-3m for McCann, CD would be very lucky to get £500k- maybe £250k and that may be swallowed up in wages/ agent's fees. If you look at clubs such as Hibs, Dundee United, Motherwell, they've sold talent for decent money in the past- and not really achieved much on the back of it. Apart from relegation in 2 cases. I'd be happy for a decent % of any fee to be ploughed into attracting promising youths & their development (we have an excellent story now to show a career path) & continue our policy of balancing the books. 

This is an incredibly challenging close season for CD, after all the euphoria & plaudits. We have to be realistic, it won't happen again. McCann, if sold, will hopefully go a long way to ensuring Saints remain viable for the next 5 years.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

4 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

£3m + clauses I reckon. Midfielders generally  command a bigger fee than say, equivalent ability defenders. He's certainly worth more than Doig. He could of course sign an extension- which would be brilliant, but were he to go, Saints are in an interesting situation, because to a large extent our midfield depends on his mobility, distribution and winning midfield battles. 

If we were to get £xyz, how much would Broon make available for transfers? Who could we afford on our wage structure? What is the ambition of the club? Disregarding the cup achievements, 5th in the league is an excellent season. Knowing Broonie as we all do, he knows Saints position- staying in the Premier, targeting top 6. We got 5th and still posted £2m negative cash flow- with cup runs. I suspect SB stated this figure so as to give fans a reality check that if McCann goes, don't expect "big" transfer fees.

If we got £2-3m for McCann, CD would be very lucky to get £500k- maybe £250k and that may be swallowed up in wages/ agent's fees. If you look at clubs such as Hibs, Dundee United, Motherwell, they've sold talent for decent money in the past- and not really achieved much on the back of it. Apart from relegation in 2 cases. I'd be happy for a decent % of any fee to be ploughed into attracting promising youths & their development (we have an excellent story now to show a career path) & continue our policy of balancing the books. 

This is an incredibly challenging close season for CD, after all the euphoria & plaudits. We have to be realistic, it won't happen again. McCann, if sold, will hopefully go a long way to ensuring Saints remain viable for the next 5 years.

Brown has already said Covid has cost the club £2m. 

If we sell McCann, the whole lot will be ploughed back into the club. There will be nothing significant spent on fees. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

My biggest worry is the big offer comes close to the deadline and we do not have time to replace him or our replacement targert(s) have gone. 

I would hope CD is looking for a replacement already as Ali will go.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

My biggest worry is the big offer comes close to the deadline and we do not have time to replace him or our replacement targert(s) have gone. 

I think Gilmour or Balantyne could step in if that happened 

I suspect Gilmour is the planned replacement anyway 

9 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

We’re not going to get anywhere near £4m. We’ll take the best 7 figure offer - my guess around £1.5m - £1.75m plus decent add-ons. No way would Broon turn down that kind of money. But we may never know, because Saints don’t disclose. Celtic would be favourites if they weren’t in the state they are. Mid-table Championship would be my guess. There’ll presumably be the usual string of derisory offers from the Sheffrotherhampton Wanderers of the Tesco B Division South types first, no doubt. Obvs would be delighted to be wrong, but we go down this road most summers, and that’s kind of where it ends up - about half the consensus on WAP.

Have to agree. It's fine all of us on here chucking figures about but we can only sell him for what a buyer is willing to pay, and unless some sort of bidding war develops between some very wealthy clubs, it's not going to go miles above our record transfer. The alternative is to reject offers and risk upsetting the player and potentially losing him for nothing when his contract expires. It's a tough balancing act to get right. Previous experience suggests Saints are not in the habit of holding out for bigger money, and if a decent seven-figure offer comes in we'll take it. I seem to remember that when we were selling Stevie May, a major sticking point was that some clubs wanted to pay in numerous small instalments - that's more the sort of thing that Saints will back away from.

Have to admit I think McCann's size and build might put some English clubs off. A lot of clubs down south have big, athletic players in the middle of the park and some will wonder if McCann will be able to thrive against that kind of opponent. Physically it could be a big step up for him.

If we do sell him, I really can't see it making a big difference to Davidson's transfer plans, but it would be nice if at the very least some of the money could be used to get our defence/goalkeeper tied down on longer deals.

2 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Have to agree. It's fine all of us on here chucking figures about but we can only sell him for what a buyer is willing to pay, and unless some sort of bidding war develops between some very wealthy clubs, it's not going to go miles above our record transfer. The alternative is to reject offers and risk upsetting the player and potentially losing him for nothing when his contract expires. It's a tough balancing act to get right.

Have to admit I think McCann's size and build might put some English clubs off. A lot of clubs down south have big, athletic players in the middle of the park and some will wonder if McCann will be able to thrive against that kind of opponent. Physically it could be a big step up for him.

If we do sell him, I really can't see it making a big difference to Davidson's transfer plans, but it would be nice if at the very least some of the money could be used to get our defence/goalkeeper tied down on longer deals.

McCann has shown in internationals that he can mix with the big boys & I think the state this season has shown he is near the top of the ball winners in the league.

Agree with last sentence.

I wonder, as the story develops, how many fans from Melton Mowbury Rovers and the like we will get on here this time telling us our best players would be lucky to get a shot at their reserves for £50 payable over 15 years, because all Scottish players are shite? Always the highlight of the summer foe me,