Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

Worth remembering McCann is contracted until 2023, its not as if he's out of contract at the end of the season. 

He's 21, a full International with goals at that level, has 2 medals is his pocket, and will breach 100 top flight games next season.

John McGinn went for £2m and didn't have any caps and was 2 years older. Turnbull went for £3m and didn't have nearly as such a strong CV.

Initial fee should be £2.5-£3.5m IMO, then you look to get a sell on fee. Brexit means UK players are in demand now.

The following players have been released at the end of their contracts.

First Team

Guy Melamed
John Robertson
Craig Conway

Development

Olly Hamilton
Ben Finnan
Michael MacFarlane
Lennon Smith
Aiden Walsh

The following players will return to their parent clubs.

Loan Expiring

James Brown
Glenn Middleton

We are in contract negotiations with the following players.

Contract Expiring

Scott Tanser
Michael O’Halloran

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Brexit means UK players are in demand now.

I am sure I read somewhere that if you have been capped by one of the UK teams then UEFA classify you as a foreign player in England eg John McGinn in England and Defoe in Scotland, Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I am correct McCann and Wotherspoon are our Foreign players.

7 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I am sure I read somewhere that if you have been capped by one of the UK teams then UEFA classify you as a foreign player in England eg John McGinn in England and Defoe in Scotland, Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think that is the case, but the UEFA international registration is a fairly straightforward paperwork matter. The issue with Brexit is that while are EU citizens used to have the right to live and work in the UK,  I believe these players now require visas/work permits etc, and so have to meet the same Home Office criterea as those from elsewhere in the world.

45 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I think you're maybe on about counting as "home grown", in terms of squad criteria?

John McGinn doesn't count as "home grown" in England, but McCann/Wotherspoon do for us, as they spent so many years before their 18th birthday in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

I am sure he is but my point was if the big offer comes in on deadline day will there be time to get a replacement. 

I think we need to get a replacement in regardless. McCann will go,if not now then in January. Regardless of that the squad is a few players light. I always believe in insurance policies & there is no chance we will go through another season without injuries & suspensions.

Just now, Cagey said:

I think we need to get a replacement in regardless. McCann will go,if not now then in January. Regardless of that the squad is a few players light. I always believe in insurance policies & there is no chance we will go through another season without injuries & suspensions.

Tbf CM is relatively stacked even without McCann.

Craig, Davidson, Bryson, Wotherspoon, Gilmour, Ballantyne all there if McCann does go. First 4 all proven top flight performers.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Tbf CM is relatively stacked even without McCann.

Craig, Davidson, Bryson, Wotherspoon, Gilmour, Ballantyne all there if McCann does go. First 4 all proven top flight performers.

Four over 30s & 2 unproven but I get your point.

Callum saying he wants to bring in 1 or 2. Hope that is just a figure of speech & on top of Mikey & Brown.

4 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Four over 30s & 2 unproven but I get your point.

Callum saying he wants to bring in 1 or 2. Hope that is just a figure of speech & on top of Mikey & Brown.

Yeah we need to start bringing through more youth, but it's not desperate in the short term if we lose McCann and can't replace him.

Think the "2 players" comment was in terms of before the season starts, not in total.

2 hours ago, sleepless said:

The following players have been released at the end of their contracts.

First Team

Guy Melamed
John Robertson
Craig Conway

Development

Olly Hamilton
Ben Finnan
Michael MacFarlane
Lennon Smith
Aiden Walsh

The following players will return to their parent clubs.

Loan Expiring

James Brown
Glenn Middleton

We are in contract negotiations with the following players.

Contract Expiring

Scott Tanser
Michael O’Halloran

I remember see Robertson against Dundee when he was about 16. Thought he was a prospect but unfortunately it looks like he has not shown up well on loans. Same with Hamilton. Hope they get a decent club as they are bound to be gutted after spending so long with Saints & not making it.

Unfortunately there will be hundreds in the same boat. You can only feel sorry for them as their world has just come tumbling down.

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Think the "2 players" comment was in terms of before the season starts, not in total.

I wonder if there might be a bit of "wait and see" about the approach this summer. We won't know until 26th August if we're going to be playing in a European group stage, which is before the transfer window closes (albeit only five days before). If we get into a group we'll need a bigger squad, but if not then our squad probably won't be too far off what it needs to be once a couple of extra signings come in.

24 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

Yeah my nephew has trained with Saints for many years.I know the commitment it takes from them and the family so I can well imagine how devastating it is to be let go.I guess football is littered with young boys that were released only to come good years later  though

Too true, some take longer to mature.

Some will turn their back on the game, as others will want to prove they are worth a contract and ultimately succeed.

Wish your nephew all the best.

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Where did you see that? Looks to me like they’ve expired but we’re still negotiating new terms. 

all contracts will end at the same time 

45 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Contract Expiring

Scott Tanser
Michael O’Halloran

It was the word expiring future tense (meaning not yet expired) others were expired 

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

Yeah my nephew has trained with Saints for many years.I know the commitment it takes from them and the family so I can well imagine how devastating it is to be let go.I guess football is littered with young boys that were released only to come good years later  though

Steve Tosh was in and out of the team back in the day and only after he was released did he bloom in to a really fine player for Queens.

One example of many I suspect.

2 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Too true, some take longer to mature.

Some will turn their back on the game, as others will want to prove they are worth a contract and ultimately succeed.

Wish your nephew all the best.

I was speaking to Alastair Stevenson last Monday and he was saying all age groups have lost 18 months development 

Went on to say that a lot of the age groups coming through at time of lock down would be lost to the game forever as they will have taken up other things 

Also said that impact on some of current ones coming to the point where they should be progressing into first team wouldn't make wouldn't make it due to lack of games and  would have to be let go to bring next batch on

John Robertson was an example he made  along with  Northcott 

6 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I was speaking to Alastair Stevenson last Monday and he was saying all age groups have lost 18 months development 

Went on to say that a lot of the age groups coming through at time of lock down would be lost to the game forever as they will have taken up other things 

Also said that impact on some of current ones coming to the point where they should be progressing into first team wouldn't make wouldn't make it due to lack of games and  would have to be let go to bring next batch on

John Robertson was an example he made  along with  Northcott 

Northcott not on the released list but I would have thought he would be.

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

McCann has shown in internationals that he can mix with the big boys & I think the state this season has shown he is near the top of the ball winners in the league.

Agree with last sentence.

Can see the boy signing a new contract nowt to lose crack at Europe sign a prenup.winners aw round