Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

He has good contacts darn sarf, and whoever pointed him towards Melamed will be trusted, so I’d expect a few signings that will see us reaching for Google and Wiki. He has a pretty good record so far for loanees and signings, although it’s early days.

Of course, Callum now has the problem of everything he and the team do being compared unfavourably with last year, the year dreams came true. We may have to be prepared to cut them some slack.

23 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

This just sums up SKY's coverage of Scotland's top teams:

20:53

O'HALLORAN COMMITS TO ST MIRREN

Michael O’Halloran has knocked back a move to St Mirren by opting to sign a new two-year deal with St Johnstone.

Paisley boss Jim Goodwin admitted last month he was keen on the former Rangers winger. O’Halloran had a decision to make after coming to the end of his contract.

But the 30-year-old has now decided to stay put in Perth with Callum Davidson’s team after last season’s dream Scottish Cup and League Cup double triumph.

Mikey never played for the former Rangers, he played for the new Rangers.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Kilmarnock come out and confirm Kyle Lafferty wanted his wages trebled this Summer.

Folk saying he was wanting around £6k a week basic wage.

Hopefully that kills every hope of him coming to us and its never mentioned again.

I read Lafferty's version of events yesterday and saw Killie's statement today. I think it was actually four times their offer he was looking for. Yeah, good luck with that mate.

Did I see the other day that Motherwell are trying to sign him? There's no denying he will score goals for whoever he signs for.

I would think that a top 4 finish could be a bit of a dream target for Saints in the next few years. Although Aberdeen seemed to manage it this season despite a goal drought you need someone who can score a good number of goals. Saints wouldnt spend that kind of money so our best bet would be that we could bring in someone on loan that has something different to offer upfront.

Would be surprised if we even bring in a new striker, the manager will be more concerned about a couple of other positions.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Did I see the other day that Motherwell are trying to sign him? There's no denying he will score goals for whoever he signs for.

I would think that a top 4 finish could be a bit of a dream target for Saints in the next few years. Although Aberdeen seemed to manage it this season despite a goal drought you need someone who can score a good number of goals. Saints wouldnt spend that kind of money so our best bet would be that we could bring in someone on loan that has something different to offer upfront.

Would be surprised if we even bring in a new striker, the manager will be more concerned about a couple of other positions.

Motherwell have offered a contract, so guessing he'll sign, as no-one else would put up the money. If Motherwell signed Mel too, that would be a good forward line. Anyway, think CD will want 4 players in 1-2 defenders, attacking midfield & striker. Given his system, it's more compatible with European players.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:17 AM, Melbourne Saint said:

Now MOH is tied down, CD has a clear picture of who to bring in. Prepared for countless trialists....

I wonder if Covid will make it difficult to have trialists, especially with players from abroad. Might be wrong, but I don't think we had any trialists last summer. Melamed signed without a trial and then had to isolate for a while before getting to train with the rest of the squad.

On Lafferty - I can't see him coming here and as @RandomGuy says his wage demands would probably put him beyond our reach even if we wanted him. But personally I wouldn't be at all against seeing him brought here. He's proven he can be prolific at this level, he made a big impact at a struggling Killie side, and he'd give us a completely different kind of option up front. Last season I felt we wasted a lot of energy sending crosses into the box that no one got on the end of, and I think a player like him would have changed that. 

11 hours ago, blueheaven said:

On Lafferty - I can't see him coming here and as @RandomGuy says his wage demands would probably put him beyond our reach even if we wanted him. But personally I wouldn't be at all against seeing him brought here. He's proven he can be prolific at this level, he made a big impact at a struggling Killie side, and he'd give us a completely different kind of option up front. Last season I felt we wasted a lot of energy sending crosses into the box that no one got on the end of, and I think a player like him would have changed that. 

Would not mind Lafferty either.  It is reported that he wanted 4 times what Killie were paying him to resign.  Sounds a bit far fetched though I suppose it depends how much they were paying him.

Not bothered about Kiltie. A few seasons back he was touted as the next big thing, but did he not spend a fair bit on loan in the lower leagues recently (or was that rebuilding after injury). Strikes me as a player who could have been a squad like player here, or more game time at St Mirren and chose St Mirren.

As for Tanser...ok the guy has a young family and I assume he's going after the £ for that. Can't blame him for that. .....but, the noises I thought were he was looking to move nearer to family and he hasn't joined a bigger club or anything. Again strikes me as a player who saw the competition for his place in the side and went for the easier option.

Don't think we will miss him much from a defensive point of view.

1 hour ago, MrBored said:

As for Tanser...ok the guy has a young family and I assume he's going after the £ for that. Can't blame him for that. .....but, the noises I thought were he was looking to move nearer to family and he hasn't joined a bigger club or anything.

Tanser would've been a bit of a luxury signing (bit like Mel). Not enough in the pot for luxury. I'm sure he'll do pretty well at Midden. Thanks for the weird goal at Dens, amongst other performances.

Agree about Lafferty, who would've been a big asset, but he's naturally looking for his last big contract -fair enough. Also worth considering what effect his contract would have on other players- if we are going to offer contract extensions to Kerr, McCart etc (hope we do), it could add further complexity- and maybe piss off a few guys in the dressing room.

I imagine St. Mirren offered guaranteed first- team football to Tanser, which we can’t as Booth is the new Roberto Carlos.

I’ve never been hugely impressed by Kiltie, so quite happy he’s going elsewhere.  

I think Lafferty will go to Aberdeen, or maybe Hibs depending on offers for thier strikers.

Edited by Linky

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Surprised by Tanser. 

791073788_giphy(1)(4).gif.78c3b720755bc9a99b7dcfd6d2307a3c.gif

Fair play to him, and his agent, for getting the money he was after. A defensively weak LWB, whod lost his place in the side, has somehow managed to get a pay rise.

Potentially we could sign Scott McMann now and arguably be better off in terms of the LWB position, while also saving money on wages.