Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

791073788_giphy(1)(4).gif.78c3b720755bc9a99b7dcfd6d2307a3c.gif

Fair play to him, and his agent, for getting the money he was after. A defensively weak LWB, whod lost his place in the side, has somehow managed to get a pay rise.

Potentially we could sign Scott McMann now and arguably be better off in terms of the LWB position, while also saving money on wages.

McMann likely heading to Mansfield. 

I'll never blame a player for moving on for more money but really you have to wonder just *how much more* money it could realistically have been, from a club of St Mirren's size? Enough to make him turn his back on European football and what Saints have built under Davidson over the past year? Enough for him to apparently change his mind about why he wanted to leave in the first place (to go back to England - although of course that would rely on there being offers on the table from England in the first place). Or maybe he just felt he wouldn't get a game here next season?

St Mirren have improved under Goodwin and seem to be making some decent signings, but let's face it: they'll still finish bottom 6 and win nothing.

Personally I liked Tanser but I don't think anyone would dispute that Booth is the better all-round player and would have continued to keep him out of the team. I wouldn't want to have to depend on Booth going a whole season without an injury though, so we'll definitely need some strong back-up.

41 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'll never blame a player for moving on for more money but really you have to wonder just *how much more* money it could realistically have been, from a club of St Mirren's size? Enough to make him turn his back on European football and what Saints have built under Davidson over the past year? Enough for him to apparently change his mind about why he wanted to leave in the first place (to go back to England - although of course that would rely on there being offers on the table from England in the first place). Or maybe he just felt he wouldn't get a game here next season?

St Mirren have improved under Goodwin and seem to be making some decent signings, but let's face it: they'll still finish bottom 6 and win nothing.

Personally I liked Tanser but I don't think anyone would dispute that Booth is the better all-round player and would have continued to keep him out of the team. I wouldn't want to have to depend on Booth going a whole season without an injury though, so we'll definitely need some strong back-up.

Fairplay BH that's another good post from you.

I think Tanser is greatly underated to be honest; he is a real threat going forward and his dead ball skills can win games.

I always enjoyed watching him and wish him well.

There will be a huge pool of decent young players looking for a team and I would expect CD to find some uncut gem to bolster our squad and keep Booth honest.

I'm wondering if it's possible we actually wanted Tanser to take a pay cut to stay, given he started last season as first choice in his position but would probably have been going into next season as second choice.

Just thinking back to when Tam Scobbie left and he said Saints offered him less money than he'd been on.

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm wondering if it's possible we actually wanted Tanser to take a pay cut to stay, given he started last season as first choice in his position but would probably have been going into next season as second choice.

Just thinking back to when Tam Scobbie left and he said Saints offered him less money than he'd been on.

If you can believe anything the press say then he turned down a deal at Christmas: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/scott-tanser-sunderland-left-back-19586530

In March it was said talks were ongoing but Davidson believed Tanser was going to go: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2051005/scott-tanser-left-back-likely-to-leave-st-johnstone/

Then he turned down those improved terms this week: https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/sheffield-wednesday-linked-with-scott-tanser-as-st-johnstone-contract-talks-continue/

From what I understand the teams linked are all smoke blown up by his agent who is also the guy that deals with Chris Kane and Guy.

Surely we wouldn't have offered him such reduced terms twice?

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Pretty much spot on. Booth will be the starter, but it does mean we will need cover at left back. I haven't heard of any of the youth players being mentioned as potentially stepping up in that position, so we will need to recruit.

If he is going to be a starter for St Mirren, then I can see why he would go. Extra money on top will help too.

I've no idea whether he stayed in a Perth or not, but if he moves through to Glasgow/Paisley, then he is an hour closer to 'home' too. Might not seem much, but for him, could make a big difference.

St Mirren have the potential to match what we have done and maybe he wants to be part of that. Equally, its within possibility they could sink and he's in the championship or unemployed in 12 months time. 

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Is European football that enticing to players? Realistically, we're going to play four games and get scudded in all of them before the season really gets going.

1 hour ago, california_saintee said:

Is European football that enticing to players? Realistically, we're going to play four games and get scudded in all of them before the season really gets going.

This seems like the sound bites when our Scottish Cup Quarter Final opponents were known  and yet we are the team with two trophies for the season and that team only has one.

1 hour ago, california_saintee said:

Sure there's a real chance we could play Luzern in one of the ties, with the winner going into a Group Stage.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Sure there's a real chance we could play Luzern in one of the ties, with the winner going into a Group Stage.

Not in the first qualifier, which will definitely going to be one of Austria Rapid Wien, Galatasaray, PSV Eindhoven, Sparta Prague, or Midtjylland.

There's tons of potential teams in the conference league playoff, which we'll be unseeded in.

I'm not trying to be negative, but is that really enough of an incentive for a player like Tanser, who'd probably be on the bench?

19 hours ago, california_saintee said:

In my opinion yes, The opportunity to play in foreign lands and play against some of the best teams in Europe is a great incentive. Even if you get scudded. I would compare it to the thrill of a highland league players coming play the Scottish cup and League cup winners. They would enjoy the challenge and most certainly enjoy the experience. They get scudded so what. Something to tell the grandchildren. 

55 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

In my opinion yes, The opportunity to play in foreign lands and play against some of the best teams in Europe is a great incentive. Even if you get scudded. I would compare it to the thrill of a highland league players coming play the Scottish cup and League cup winners. They would enjoy the challenge and most certainly enjoy the experience. They get scudded so what. Something to tell the grandchildren. 

I agree that it would be a consideration. However, if the other team is offering an extra £400 (a figure I have plucked from nowhere) a week more than Saints are offering, thats 20 grand over the year. Also the opportunity for first team football, therefore putting yourself in the shop window for an even better contract. I'd be surprised if most players that are on Saints type wages wouldn't move for a decent wage rise, especially if the length of contract is the same/better. I'm pretty sure that everyone that posts on here would change company if they were offered an extra £20,000 a year to do the same job!

14 hours ago, mainstand said:

Greg Stewart been released by Rangers we were allegedly linked to trying to get him on loan in January. Not sure if he will be a target. 

If Davidson is looking for a Melamed-type replacement, I think he’d tick some boxes. Good player, but he’s always looked a but lazy to me.

47 minutes ago, skivealive said:

I agree that it would be a consideration. However, if the other team is offering an extra £400 (a figure I have plucked from nowhere) a week more than Saints are offering, thats 20 grand over the year. Also the opportunity for first team football, therefore putting yourself in the shop window for an even better contract. I'd be surprised if most players that are on Saints type wages wouldn't move for a decent wage rise, especially if the length of contract is the same/better. I'm pretty sure that everyone that posts on here would change company if they were offered an extra £20,000 a year to do the same job!

Maybe Dunfermline will be outbidding us for players this summer. After all, they are a bigger club... Zzzzzzz

C8E5C07D-5784-4DE1-AB9C-2722E4E81C4D.jpeg

51 minutes ago, skivealive said:

Sorry I think you have gone off on a tangent. I was posting in response to European football being an incentive to stay. All players will move for substantially more money,  recent years May, MOH, Wright and Kennedy have proved it. Although this time round it has been said that MOH turned down more money from St Mirren to stay. Why could one of the reasons be European football 

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Maybe Dunfermline will be outbidding us for players this summer. After all, they are a bigger club... Zzzzzzz

I've never really understood what people mean when they talk about one club being "bigger" than another. You see fans of other clubs talking about it on social media all the time. Seriously, who cares if their club is "big" or not? It's completely meaningless. I'm very content with the fact that I support a club that is small but successful.

Dunfermline have been under-performing for years now, but then again so have loads of clubs of a similar "size" -  Falkirk, Raith Rovers, Partick, Dundee, Airdrie etc. All of them could do what Saints have done in theory, but actually doing it in reality is a completely different matter.

To be honest I'd much rather have Dunfermline in the Premier League than Livi or any of the west coast clubs, so if they can get back up then good on them. Ditto Raith Rovers and Inverness Caley.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Sorry I think you have gone off on a tangent. I was posting in response to European football being an incentive to stay. All players will move for substantially more money,  recent years May, MOH, Wright and Kennedy have proved it. Although this time round it has been said that MOH turned down more money from St Mirren to stay. Why could one of the reasons be European football 

I guess what he's saying is that it's one possible incentive for a player, but not the only factor to consider. I'm sure Tanser would have loved to play in Europe next season - but probably has to balance that against the money on the table, length of contract on offer, and the fact that there's a very good chance he wouldn't make the starting line-up in our European games anyway.

MOH already has that experience of moving for big money and seeing it backfire, so he's maybe now of the view that he'd rather stay where he's happy and settled, European football or not.

22 hours ago, california_saintee said:

Not in the first qualifier, which will definitely going to be one of Austria Rapid Wien, Galatasaray, PSV Eindhoven, Sparta Prague, or Midtjylland.

There's tons of potential teams in the conference league playoff, which we'll be unseeded in.

I'm not trying to be negative, but is that really enough of an incentive for a player like Tanser, who'd probably be on the bench?

Well done on being negative without even trying, good job. 

14 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I've never really understood what people mean when they talk about one club being "bigger" than another. You see fans of other clubs talking about it on social media all the time. Seriously, who cares if their club is "big" or not? It's completely meaningless. I'm very content with the fact that I support a club that is small but successful.

Dunfermline have been under-performing for years now, but then again so have loads of clubs of a similar "size" -  Falkirk, Raith Rovers, Partick, Dundee, Airdrie etc. All of them could do what Saints have done in theory, but actually doing it in reality is a completely different matter.

To be honest I'd much rather have Dunfermline in the Premier League than Livi or any of the west coast clubs, so if they can get back up then good on them. Ditto Raith Rovers and Inverness Caley.

I remember the great away days to the likes of Dunfermline and Kirkcaldy back in the day!