Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

On 6/9/2021 at 5:19 AM, skivealive said:

I agree that it would be a consideration. However, if the other team is offering an extra £400 (a figure I have plucked from nowhere) a week more than Saints are offering, thats 20 grand over the year. Also the opportunity for first team football, therefore putting yourself in the shop window for an even better contract. I'd be surprised if most players that are on Saints type wages wouldn't move for a decent wage rise, especially if the length of contract is the same/better. I'm pretty sure that everyone that posts on here would change company if they were offered an extra £20,000 a year to do the same job!

Not with the cost of living in the SF Bay Area. (Ironically, I probably would change jobs if they offered me a game against PSV Eindhoven)

On 5/28/2021 at 10:47 PM, RandomGuy said:

Defenders

4. Jamie McCart (23) - May 2022

5. Jason Kerr (24) - May 2022

6. Liam Gordon (25) - May 2022

19 - Shaun Rooney (24) - May 2022

24 - Callum Booth (29) - May 2022

: - Sam Denham (18) - May 2022

Me the eternal pessimist this worries me 5 of theses will be playing every week and we have no cover we need at least 3 right and left wingbacks and centre back. Please bring them in sooner rather later. I know the window is just open and we have resigned most of our team but going on our past seasons I will be reposting this again at the end of July.

5 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Me the eternal pessimist this worries me 5 of theses will be playing every week and we have no cover we need at least 3 right and left wingbacks and centre back. Please bring them in sooner rather later. I know the window is just open and we have resigned most of our team but going on our past seasons I will be reposting this again at the end of July.

I do agree that we need a bit of cover but we can't have fixed replacements for all positions...there no way we can carry a squad of (say) 25 first teamers so you need to get that flexibility in the squad.

At the moment, probably only left back is the only position we'd be truly stuck. Rooney and Booth would be centre back cover...MOH would probably be RWB cover etc etc.

14 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

I do agree that we need a bit of cover but we can't have fixed replacements for all positions...there no way we can carry a squad of (say) 25 first teamers so you need to get that flexibility in the squad.

At the moment, probably only left back is the only position we'd be truly stuck. Rooney and Booth would be centre back cover...MOH would probably be RWB cover etc etc.

If we sign Brown and a replacement for Tanser, plus one new central defender to cover the back three, the squad will only have one more player than it had last season. I think we used the fewest players of any Premiership club last season, so that would still be a small squad.

What would be really handy would be if Brown could cover on either side - he'd double his chances of getting a game and double his value to the squad.

38 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

It is may be the way I think but 11 players 2 (doubler) for each position is 22. And 1 extra goal keeper is 23 no flexibility required unless both players for the one position get injured. If you want an extra forward take out a centre back doubler

On 6/10/2021 at 6:54 AM, Johnny B said:

I too remember the great away days. My first full season was 65-66 and Stirling Albion were in the top flight, and it was an 18 team league How times have changed .

Remember standing on the auld railway sleepers around then caught ma first sight o wee Henfy ran us ragged on the wing.

The defence scenario is interesting, as is up front. CD has stated, unsurprisingly, that he wants a player that can play winger/upfront and presumably he will want a LB/CD too. For both these roles there's hardly a plethora of suitable players in Scotland that are realistically within reach. It makes sense with Saints budget- we simply can't afford a bench with more than 5 players on a decent wage (for Saints), rest youths. 

I'm not sure about Brown, but if he's cheap, then why not. But if signing him means a lower wage for a LB/CD then he's not a priority.

I believe CD will recruit 3 from his contacts and knowledge from down south. The only problem with loans is if they're recalled, as with McNamara. Obviously we had Rooney, but we don't have any noticeable fallbacks in defence now. I'm hoping for 1-2 signings in the coming week. It's not long now until players are due back.....

3 hours ago, Linky said:

We’re about to sign Michael Gardyne apparently. Really hoping this isn’t true, can’t think of anyone from the SPL I’d want to sign less.

How the hell did you come up with that based on the very lacking in any solid evidence article that was written? Lazy journalism from someone since he’s based in Dundee. 

19 hours ago, Widge said:

How the hell did you come up with that based on the very lacking in any solid evidence article that was written? Lazy journalism from someone since he’s based in Dundee. 

That’s why I said ‘apparently’. I don’t think there’s anything in it, but it is interesting that that is the level of players we are being linked to by the press.

19 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I know it's the lowest in the league but I wouldn't say 27 is a bad number TBH. That's enough to have two players for every position, plus a third goalkeeper, plus a few extra youngsters.

I actually think that having a small, tight-knit squad might have been one of the factors behind our success.

Interesting that Sevco, who presumably have a far bigger squad than us, only used one more player than we did.

On 6/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, Linky said:

That’s why I said ‘apparently’. I don’t think there’s anything in it, but it is interesting that that is the level of players we are being linked to by the press.

Well that was over quickly - wonder how many others like that we'll be linked to this summer. I did hear a rumour that Davidson was scouting players at the Euros, but I don't think this can possibly be true as he could only see games in the UK, and players would be beyond our means anyway.

On 6/14/2021 at 7:14 PM, blueheaven said:

I know it's the lowest in the league but I wouldn't say 27 is a bad number TBH. That's enough to have two players for every position, plus a third goalkeeper, plus a few extra youngsters.

I actually think that having a small, tight-knit squad might have been one of the factors behind our success.

Interesting that Sevco, who presumably have a far bigger squad than us, only used one more player than we did.

Killie only used 1 more.... We were pretty lucky with injuries (apart from Covid at the end), but in general, having a smaller squad can be a bonus. Though we also didn't have youths considered ready for a few games. Not surprised by Aberdeen, new manager would want to give the squad a chance to impress.

Rangers apparently willing to loan out Kai Kennedy & a few premiership clubs interested. Would be good cover for Spoony when he is away to Canada or when he tires after 70 mins.

I am sure Callum has said he wants Middleton back but if not he has a good relationship with Rangers & may get someone else.