Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Sturrock copped it big- and to be honest it was deserved. He was heavily linked with Utd for quite a while, swore blind he'd never go back - remember vividly a fairly fruity "meet the manager" at barossa and he lost his shit big time at certain fans big time over the Utd link and swore he'd rather die than sign for them. Bit of fisticuffs with Blackley later. Then he signs for Utd. Felt sorry for GB. That's when the whole Judas thing happened. A player that also copped it was Paul Wright.

We might know each other 

I was In attendance that night 

52 minutes ago, Bruno Strasser said:

All these young defenders coming in is quite disconcerting. I dont think we will see our cup winning team play in the flesh 

Wouldn’t say this is particularly disconcerting in itself. We need a replacement for Tanser (Devine), we need a second-choice RB (Brown) and we need a back-up CB in case one of the back three gets injured at any point (Muller). Not saying that our defence isn’t about to get ripped apart, but these signings aren’t an indication of that.

Yes, I'm hoping the signings so far are just back-ups. It seems this is the case from what Davidson has said.

We need one more signing to replace both Conway & Melamed I'd suggest. Then, we need to wait and see in terms of players leaving.

12 minutes ago, Linky said:

Yes, I'm hoping the signings so far are just back-ups. It seems this is the case from what Davidson has said.

We need one more signing to replace both Conway & Melamed I'd suggest. Then, we need to wait and see in terms of players leaving.

And Middleton, plus we need someone who can provide what Wotherspoon does.

Hopefully Ballantyne and Hendry prove themselves in pre-season.

As frustrating as this is, we’re not in a position to start offering a lot more money to keep these guys on new contracts. We have a wage structure. What about the guys who have agreed new deals in the last few months? Do we give them more money too to keep everyone happy? 

We’re a small, well run club who live within our means. We have one of the smallest budgets in the league. We don’t have 10,000 season ticket holders.

Even winning the cups and being in Europe doesn’t significantly change anything. 

For the Browns, it must be like like filling up a bucket with holes in it. Even if we make a couple of million selling various players don’t expect to see us splashing the cash. It’s the reality of Scottish football and supporting St Johnstone.

2 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

We might know each other 

I was In attendance that night 

I'm sure we do know each other! There were a few meet the manager nights at various venues back then, but that one was an angry one. The rumours about Luggy were everywhere, and we wanted answers. Blackley was like a bouncer that night, protecting Lug. The other thing that came up that night was a certain CD's performances at LB. He was going through a very shite patch & everyone (apart from Luggy) wanted him dropped.

1 hour ago, Brian Potter said:

As frustrating as this is, we’re not in a position to start offering a lot more money to keep these guys on new contracts. We have a wage structure. What about the guys who have agreed new deals in the last few months? Do we give them more money too to keep everyone happy? 

We’re a small, well run club who live within our means. We have one of the smallest budgets in the league. We don’t have 10,000 season ticket holders.

Even winning the cups and being in Europe doesn’t significantly change anything. 

For the Browns, it must be like like filling up a bucket with holes in it. Even if we make a couple of million selling various players don’t expect to see us splashing the cash. It’s the reality of Scottish football and supporting St Johnstone.

Understand what you're saying- just because we've won an incredible double doesn't make us a Real Madrid. Or Rotherham/Macclesfield/a gym in Plitosi etc. Get it.

But I think that there's a huge amount of emotion, rightly or wrongly, that fans feel. 

We can't undo the position we're in. I'm not sure the club really knows how to manage this emotion from fans. We've been very average at communication for a long time. I think it is completely understandable that there are some very passionate fans out there- we're all that, because there's not many of us (!), but that doesn't mean we can't be very emotional. 

I do think the club need to show something other than self-substenance though. We haven't celebrated the unthinkable. Now it feels like a funeral of an uncle you hated.

Let's just smile a bit, without going bust? Freedom of Perth should at least guarantee a millennial cash injection of £5quid.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

And Middleton, plus we need someone who can provide what Wotherspoon does.

Hopefully Ballantyne and Hendry prove themselves in pre-season.

I would count Middleton as the Conway replacement. He might also cover Wotherspoon too. I'm keeping my expectations low in terms of the number of players we will be bringing in.

8 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Thats Reece Devine in from Man U - season-long loan

He is. He's got pace to burn/ can cross/ can tackle- but needs to be careful, because he goes in very hard. Lovely. He's young, will be really decent I think once the coaches work on him. But that may take a while.

12 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

So far we have 2 loans how many are we allowed 

Used to be 3, then, I think, 5- for the season? But there's the emergency thing. And the transfer windows. I thought it was 3 registered pre-january, top up after? Which comes into play with Covid. And the SFA can claim "we have no fricking idea rules", but a very grey area, so can be circumvented if you've got Govan connections.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

If this is correct we have 1 loan place left to fill (Middleton?)

God knows mate! I don't even think god knows, nor Buddha, nor sheikhs. If you were to base it on last season, we had a lot. I can't be arsed counting, but maybe 6-7? There were some mysterious ones, culminating in Zlamal at the end - but he was under emergency rules. I think there is a number according to the transfer window. But Covid basically stumps that, as clubs could be decimated with track & trace.

58 minutes ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

we have 10000 seats....

10,000 seats are mainly soaking up rain for the majority in fairness. Unless the Jehovah's are in town. I think we're hoping to get an average around 4,500 or so with season holders/ walk ins/ away fans. Although Hearts/Dundee would push it up now Hamilton are gone. But Covid could stuff it. Hearts & Dundee could bring decent fans.... Who knows.

6 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Used to be 3, then, I think, 5- for the season? But there's the emergency thing. And the transfer windows. I thought it was 3 registered pre-january, top up after? Which comes into play with Covid. And the SFA can claim "we have no fricking idea rules", but a very grey area, so can be circumvented if you've got Govan connections.

It is 4 but last season it was increased to 6 due to Covid. No word yet as to what it is this season. 

Not sure if under 21 players are actually different.