Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

"Aberdeen manager Stephen Glass say the club will play "hardball" over their players after rejecting a £2m bid from Watford for midfielder Lewis Ferguson."

He is probably a good benchmark for McCann's value - Ferguson may have more goals but was a main penalty taker for Aberdeen and doesn't have the international experience. 

5 hours ago, garydavidson said:

"Aberdeen manager Stephen Glass say the club will play "hardball" over their players after rejecting a £2m bid from Watford for midfielder Lewis Ferguson."

He is probably a good benchmark for McCann's value - Ferguson may have more goals but was a main penalty taker for Aberdeen and doesn't have the international experience. 

In fairness, I would say Ferguson would probably command a larger fee. Extra year or two in first team(s) and has played well in a few European games for Aberdeen. Add to this that Aberdeen have a better recent history of getting fairly large fees. Although, not much more if a fee. If they got say £3m, I would want £2.5m. Although, possibly the offset being international caps and hopefully McCann playing in Europe.

For someone like McCann, if I was Davidson, I would use the Paul Lambert example. Couple of excellent games vs Borrusia Dortmund in Europe got him noticed and he got a move there. 

2 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

When you look at the ins and outs at other clubs (via the bbc website) it looks to me that every club is weaker now than at the end of last season. The exception perhaps is St Mirren. I fancy there is going to be a lot of movement over the next couple of weeks. 

Well they are weaker in the sense that they signed Tanser.

16 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Why not go for Gareth Bale, he doesn’t want to play for either Real Madrid or Spurs (where he was on loan last season) but does want to continue with Wales a biggish name like that could even boost the crowds when we are allowed back.

Who's Bale? Does he play for a conference team?

St Johnstone midfielder David Wotherspoon, the Perth-born 31-year-old who has seven caps for Canada, admits he would consider a move to North America before the end of his career. (The Courier)

If the above come to fruition this will be his last season

42 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone midfielder David Wotherspoon, the Perth-born 31-year-old who has seven caps for Canada, admits he would consider a move to North America before the end of his career. (The Courier)

He is contracted here until 2023.

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

He is contracted here until 2023.

After all the service he has given us would we stand in his way if he asked to be released. He may want a fresh start for his wife and children

All speculation no inside information

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Good for him, and why not. Good opportunity 

18 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

After all the service he has given us would we stand in his way if he asked to be released. He may want a fresh start for his wife and children

All speculation no inside information

He says that he'd consider it before the end of his career. Considering his age and contract situation, I don't see why that would necessarily equate to him leaving after this upcoming season. He's still got a good few years ahead of him.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

He says that he'd consider it before the end of his career. Considering his age and contract situation, I don't see why that would necessarily equate to him leaving after this upcoming season. He's still got a good few years ahead of him.

I do not want to get into a great debate over my speculation. My last words on the subject.

He may want to spend the few good years he has remaining playing at a decent level and continue his international career for Canada.

Less disruption in his life when he plays international football living in Canada

Getting his kids settled into schools.

etc etc

8 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I do not want to get into a great debate over my speculation. My last words on the subject.

He may want to spend the few good years he has remaining playing at a decent level and continue his international career for Canada.

Less disruption in his life when he plays international football living in Canada

etc etc

I think you're reading a helluva lot into this.

5 hours ago, mainstand said:

You really have a dislike for the guy don't you :huh: I think some of the stick he takes/took on here was totally unwarranted. 

I have been consistent in my feelings towards him as a footballer. He was decent going forward and could take a good set piece.

Very weak defensively though and often a liability. 

He certainly would not have been doing the same things Callum Booth did in the cup final :laugh: .

All IMO of course.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

etc etc

Absolutely agree with you about his kids and having a future beyond kicking a ball at Firhill/ Parkheid (or wherever). He's saying, to me at least, once his contract with saints is done, he's looking at the future. Maybe a role with Dasovic? He's in Toronto. 

Be great if saints can tap into emerging talent from Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Absolutely agree with you about his kids and having a future beyond kicking a ball at Firhill/ Parkheid (or wherever). He's saying, to me at least, once his contract with saints is done, he's looking at the future. Maybe a role with Dasovic? He's in Toronto. 

Be great if saints can tap into emerging talent from Canada. 

Looks like he's at the right age, right point in his career, and right time family-wise to seriously consider it. Will more likely regret if they don't give it a go.

Either way, he's got to be one of the players that we Saints fans will support no matter what!

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think you're reading a helluva lot into this.

Yes, overall tone of the article does not suggest Spoony is considering a move anytime soon.  Don't know much about the standard of football in Canada but maybe he thinks he could pick up a decent wage either side of his 35th birthday.

Reporter: "ever considered moving closer to Canada now you're a regular in their national team?"

Wotherspoon: "loving it at Saints so not yet, but I wouldn't say no to trying it at some point if it comes up"

Saints fans: "Spoony is desperate to leave and won't be here next year"

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Reporter: "ever considered moving closer to Canada now you're a regular in their national team?"

Wotherspoon: "loving it at Saints so not yet, but I wouldn't say no to trying it at some point if it comes up"

Saints fans: "Spoony is desperate to leave and won't be here next year"

I imagine this is how it is!...if spoony does eventually move to Canada good luck to him he's been a great servant to saints over the years