Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

39 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

Think this has been asked but how many loan players are we allowed, also means a massive rebuilding job next year as we have quite a few players out of contract and loans returning to parent clubs not a position I’d like to be in 

You could probably look back over the last 20 years and we'd be saying the same thing every year. 

11 minutes ago, bankfoot saint said:

I had sort of hoped when we started handing out longer contracts that we’d moved away from that but you’re right happens every year 

Rooney would be the example of why offering more than 1 year deals is the way to go, but the risk is you are left with a player on books that you are stuck with for a longer time that doesnt contribute. Did Duffy not get a 2 year deal?

A loan signing is all good as low risk and arguably can get a better quality player than you can afford a wage for, but then if they are good, then you get no fee. If say we had signed Middleton outright, you could argue that if he had another good 6 months, he would be quite a sellable asset in the Jan window.

On Middleton, I wonder if there is scope for an outright transfer or certainly a loan with option to buy? He needs game time and knows he will get it here and that the manager likes him.

The fact that 2 players are mentioned might support this. Buy/get Middleton on the basis we take player x on loan too. 

Theres no point in pretending a club of our size can perform consistently at the top of the Scottish game.  Last season was, from November onwards at least, remarkable.  If we are to capitalise on that, have a crack at group stage euro football, top 4 in the league, more cup runs, and not undermine the way the club is run, the only option is really quality loan signings.  

It seems like the two guys in already are better than most loans in our past, and we know what quality Middleton brings.

I kind of feel like it's an intrinsic part of the game now.  Contracts etc are irrelevant if the 11 players in the shirt are giving 100% for Saints.  You can't argue that McNamara and Middleton last year gave anything less.

The only way Katic is coming in is one of the centre-backs going out. Rangers wouldn't send a player like that out on loan without confirmation that he'd be a first-team regular. More likely Middleton & Hastie.

I did wonder though whether it is someone from Celtic instead. Davidson said that things have eased up this week in regards to transfers. Is that because Celtic have played their first Champions League Qualifier, with a threadbare squad, and are confident that they'll have brought in enough players for the second leg so are happy to send one or two out on loan?

18 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Ex Arab Cammy Smith?

He’s a player I really like. Looking for a club in Scotland so you’d hope we are putting our hat in the ring.

You’d imagine Dundee and Dundee United are front runners and Ross County would offer him something.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

5 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Rooney would be the example of why offering more than 1 year deals is the way to go, but the risk is you are left with a player on books that you are stuck with for a longer time that doesnt contribute. Did Duffy not get a 2 year deal?

A loan signing is all good as low risk and arguably can get a better quality player than you can afford a wage for, but then if they are good, then you get no fee. If say we had signed Middleton outright, you could argue that if he had another good 6 months, he would be quite a sellable asset in the Jan window.

On Middleton, I wonder if there is scope for an outright transfer or certainly a loan with option to buy? He needs game time and knows he will get it here and that the manager likes him.

The fact that 2 players are mentioned might support this. Buy/get Middleton on the basis we take player x on loan too. 

Buy Middleton probably out of our reach however pay a fee and tag him with a large sell on fee Rangers may accept 50% sell on

15 hours ago, byebyedundee said:

Buy Middleton probably out of our reach however pay a fee and tag him with a large sell on fee Rangers may accept 50% sell on

But would Middleton accept the permanent move? If he comes here on loan he plays for Saints with a Rangers salary. If he comes here permanently he plays for Saints with a Saints salary. He may as well stick around at Rangers and keep taking loan moves, then take his chances of a good deal somewhere when his contract expires.

Taken fro the official site
St Johnstone are pleased to announce that Stevie Grieve  has joined the club as the new Head of Recruitment.

His expertise in analysis and coaching has taken him across the globe. From creating coaching curriculums in Canada to providing tactical analysis on Europe’s elite for Asian broadcasters.

Grieve previously worked for Premiership outfit Dundee United as their Head of Analysis and Opposition Scouting.

The lifelong Saint explained what he could bring to the club: “I’m quite organised. Without basic organisation you don’t really know what you’re looking for. 

“I’m quite good at identifying talents early from different markets. We need to try and be strong in the domestic markets. Try and find the best players in the Championship or the undervalued players of the Scottish Premier League. 

"I’ve got a good eye for talent in terms of what fits tactically into the squad and what we need to try and improve.”

Grieve has learnt a lot from his time working in the football world and believes his experiences will be hugely beneficial for the club: “I think from a perspective of just coaching you can see what a player should be doing and how they might be progressing.

“Sometimes it’s not about looking outside for players, it’s about understanding what’s in the building and how that player can grow and develop.

“You have to have an eye to get talent ID right as many times as possible and see how a player might progress and grow in what you are trying to do. Then see if you can help them in the next stage of their career.”

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

But would Middleton accept the permanent move? If he comes here on loan he plays for Saints with a Rangers salary. If he comes here permanently he plays for Saints with a Saints salary. He may as well stick around at Rangers and keep taking loan moves, then take his chances of a good deal somewhere when his contract expires.

Thats a fair point

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Problem he will have is that if he stays at Rangers knowing they font want him and he gets a couple of loans that dont work out, he ends up becoming a free agent at 22/23 and not the best reputation. Fraser Aird and Little bring 2 recent examples of this at Rangers. Clubs less likely to take a chance on that kind of player.

He might be of the view that his days at Rangers are numbered. Get a move to a 'lesser' club, get regular game time and look to get a good move. If I was saints, that's what I'd be selling to him. 

50 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Problem he will have is that if he stays at Rangers knowing they font want him and he gets a couple of loans that dont work out, he ends up becoming a free agent at 22/23 and not the best reputation. Fraser Aird and Little bring 2 recent examples of this at Rangers. Clubs less likely to take a chance on that kind of player.

He might be of the view that his days at Rangers are numbered. Get a move to a 'lesser' club, get regular game time and look to get a good move. If I was saints, that's what I'd be selling to him. 

But by the same token he could opt for a permanent move away from Rangers now and that might not work out either. At least in his current situation he'll be making good money for a couple of years. He's actually in a pretty good situation. Either he plays his way into the Rangers team which he'd be happy with, or he keeps his Rangers contract while going out and playing elsewhere. If he keeps performing like he did for Saints last season, I don't think he'll have anything to worry about reputation-wise.

Also I think we have to bear in mind we don't know what he's being told by Rangers. If they tell him he has no future there, maybe he'd want to look at other options. But if they're telling him he has a chance of breaking into the manager's plans by doing well on loan, it's probably a no-brainer for him to not cut his ties.