Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

If you read into the fact we are even looking at another striker or even 2, you would have to assume that Davidson is maybe of the assumption Hendry might be heading off. Going by last season, he seems to only want 3 senior strikers in the squad. He could of course be wanting extra bodies in in case of a European run, but my gut feel is that he is seeing how well Hendry does pre season and if he isn't right on it, then he might be away. Certainly, Hendry's body language on Saturday didnt look like that of someone absolutely buzzing for a new season, although, I thought he actually had a decent enough game.

I'm sure there will be plans too for Central defence. We are a bit light there and if we loose even 1, then need to at least replace him. I know Booth, Rooney and possibly brown can play there, but then you are leaving yourself short on full backs. Could Bates maybe be an option? 

Edited by TheYellowBox

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

He was apparently on over £10k a week at Rangers.

I'm not sure that matters...it's not as if he's going to get that again, anywhere. He's earned good money for very little game time for about 7/8 years.

Come to Saints...get £3k a week (or whatever)...play regularly in the top league. (or sign for Hearts and get £5k!!!) 

I trust that we won't pay over the odds...if he wants to play, then come and play.

2 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

I'm not sure that matters...it's not as if he's going to get that again, anywhere. He's earned good money for very little game time for about 7/8 years.

I'd agree - his Rangers salary is irrelevant if no one is offering him close to that again. His salary at the moment is £0 a week, not £10k a week. Of course, he's totally within his rights to seek out the best contract he can get, and if that's not from Saints then fair enough.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

He was apparently on over £10k a week at Rangers.

In which case he will have made a healthy living off the last few years and might just want to play football . There again might not have been on anything like the salary you are quoting. 

7 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

Come to Saints...get £3k a week (or whatever)...play regularly in the top league. (or sign for Hearts and get £5k!!!) 

I trust that we won't pay over the odds...if he wants to play, then come and play.

What might be a sway for players now though is that as opposed to historically, the option to come to saints might also give you a winners medal. Of course, players will want the money, but some may accept a fraction less to go to a club where they realistically might win something. Clearly has to be only a small difference in cash though. 

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Does Stewart generally play out wide? Personally I feel we could still do with two wide forwards as we have both Conway and Middleton to replace, so it's not unthinkable that we could want both Stewart and Middleton. 

Partly depends on where we're planning on playing Vertainen too, of course. One of the reports said he can play up front or as an attacking midfielder. But if he's mainly just a centre-forward then that's suddenly a lot of strikers to keep happy with him, May, Kane and Hendry all fighting for what is often just one place in the team.

From what I remember he tended to play on the right & cut in on his sweet left foot. Don't think he is blessed with great pace or heart. This is all from memory as I haven't seen him play for a couple of years.

As I have said ,he would be a decent addition to the squad & probably have the same role as Conway.

As long as he is in line with Saints wage structure.

I did wonder whether May's new number is a sign that he's being developed into playing as a Conway replacement this season. This then leaves Kane, Hendry and the Finn as the strikers competing for what is 1 or 2 places in the first team depending on the formation. Stewart has played so few games over the last few years, but I don't think he was an out and out striker, so might be a Middleton replacement. 

In the Sky Sports interview, Davidson did talk about wanting a player who was a bit of a mystery (the Finn) and someone who is tried and tested in the league, which might be Stewart. From what I've seen, I'm not sure his work ethic is quite what Davidson would expect though.

1 hour ago, Linky said:

I did wonder whether May's new number is a sign that he's being developed into playing as a Conway replacement this season. This then leaves Kane, Hendry and the Finn as the strikers competing for what is 1 or 2 places in the first team depending on the formation. Stewart has played so few games over the last few years, but I don't think he was an out and out striker, so might be a Middleton replacement. 

In the Sky Sports interview, Davidson did talk about wanting a player who was a bit of a mystery (the Finn) and someone who is tried and tested in the league, which might be Stewart. From what I've seen, I'm not sure his work ethic is quite what Davidson would expect though.

Numbers are largely irrelevant these days and dont really indicate the players position.They are just squad numbers 

45 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Don't think the article has anything in it to suggest a deal is closer or further away. It's a nothing article tbh. He's probably got some offers from (take a pick) China, Middle East, maybe US, which is to be expected at his age. Whether his family wants to go there, even with great $$$ is another question. Have to say I'm quite ambivalent about us signing him, because he's not really featured much for Sevco so hard to know how he'd fit in. He'd want 2 years, and who knows on what wage. 

27 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Don't think the article has anything in it to suggest a deal is closer or further away. It's a nothing article tbh. He's probably got some offers from (take a pick) China, Middle East, maybe US, which is to be expected at his age. Whether his family wants to go there, even with great $$$ is another question. Have to say I'm quite ambivalent about us signing him, because he's not really featured much for Sevco so hard to know how he'd fit in. He'd want 2 years, and who knows on what wage. 

I just can’t see how we could possibly afford him. We could barely afford a quarter of the wages he’s been on.

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Did he not knock back a chance to play for us on loan while still earning his Rangers money?

So he’s hardly gonna sign for us is he…..quite frankly he’s obviously choosing money over game time…best forgot about in my opinion!

49 minutes ago, Tricky6 said:

Did he not knock back a chance to play for us on loan while still earning his Rangers money?

So he’s hardly gonna sign for us is he…..quite frankly he’s obviously choosing money over game time…best forgot about in my opinion!

I suspect he wasn't out on loan in January cause rangers decided not to loan him out. There were numerous club's in Scotland and England in for him. 

If you were in his position had probably your last contract and have a family to keep what would you be doing? I doubt if you would be looking for the team that was going to play you every week but pay peanuts. 

You would do exactly what he is being accused of you would look for what was going to be the best deal to help your family. 

Edited by mainstand

13 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

I just can’t see how we could possibly afford him. We could barely afford a quarter of the wages he’s been on.

Same could be said for O'Halloran. He was seemingly on £7k at Rangers but he took a big wage cut to come and play football

27 minutes ago, SJPERTH01 said:

Same could be said for O'Halloran. He was seemingly on £7k at Rangers but he took a big wage cut to come and play football

BIG difference between the two cases you have mentioned. Michael was bombed out of Rangers. Latterly, he was made to feel like an imposter and it was toxic. He just wanted out. Not the same!!

9 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

BIG difference between the two cases you have mentioned. Michael was bombed out of Rangers. Latterly, he was made to feel like an imposter and it was toxic. He just wanted out. Not the same!!

Stewart is 31 though, he’s unlikely to get another contract on terms like that, and I’m sure he’s realistic enough to accept that.