Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

Still can't wrap my head around this. Fair enough Ali (and his agent) wanted a move but that late in the day PNE should have had to pay a premium given the damage it will do to our season. Yeah there might be potential add-ons but they might never kick in and we'll be left spunking our 1M on loan wages making other teams better.

We should have sold last week for 1 million. The extra £200,000 does not come close to making up for losing such a good player at such a late stage.

To only have loan players as replacements for the 2 we lost is even worse, I'm not expecting some marquee signing but after last season, the uefa money, the increased season ticket uptake and much bigger crowds this season I did expect some absolute unit brought in at the back as a permanent replacement and some kind of change up front.

Real downer yesterday, feel sorry for the players coming in, he'll of a pressure to step up straight away.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I think you need to chill. No not happy that McCann is away but the player and his agent have obviously expressed a desire to leave and why would you keep an unhappy player at the club. 

They also maybe feel that gilmour is ready to step up and he could be our Ali replacement. 

Virtually impossible for saints to do contracts with players so late in the day so suspect loans with the intention of players possibly moving at the end are there. 

Not happy at the two out but have faith in Callum and the club. 

The clubs that signed our players managed to do contracts late in the day. Maybe if we weren't so amateurish behind the scenes and didn't rely on a skeleton staff and volunteers. Maybe if we actually had a recruitment policy that wasn't us developing players for other clubs.

Our captain has been replaced by a 20 year old that has played 0 senior games. 

Gilmour? How many minutes has he played? 

St Mirren played a CB in midfield on Saturday rather than start McPherson. 

The chairman has moaned since he came in about poor season ticket sales. Gets a massive increase this year and this is how he responds? 

Disgusting. 

Edited by rik2304

50 minutes ago, mainstand said:

I don't know why they Sold Ali and didn't hold out for another season but can only think that it was down to the player and what he wanted. We are not daft we have all known that players would be sold eventually it's jus a shock to see 2 go at once. 

As for replacements hopefully they are using them in the same way as we did with brown. Get them in on loan then sign them. 

Look at the some of the loan deals bigger clubs that saints have been involved in. 

Stuff what he wants.

He gets the power in the final year of his contract. We held the power yesterday and folded in half when it absolutely was not required. 

If Hibs can tell Nisbet he’s not moving even after handing in a transfer request, so can we, or our contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. 

15 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Many predicted we would lose a centre back so this move should not come as a surprise to the board. I am sure we have a contingency plan in place and we will bring in a replacement before the windows close

Guess I was wrong. There was no Contingency Plan for any of of players going on deadline day

11 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Stuff what he wants.

He gets the power in the final year of his contract. We held the power yesterday and folded in half when it absolutely was not required. 

If Hibs can tell Nisbet he’s not moving even after handing in a transfer request, so can we, or our contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. 

Exactly.What IS the point in a contract.

I'm still trying to get my head around the McCann fee. Its almost like we have settled on Kerr's one year left on his contract being worth £600k, therefore, McCann's two years must be worth twice that.

I can only imagine that whatever McCann's agent said to the club, the club were left with the impression that over the next couple of years we would get nothing better for him. Those add on's better be good!

While I am disappointed with the fee for McCann, its the complete lack of planning replacements that sticks in the throat. Its not as if we needed to wait until the money came in from both in order to do some transfers of our own. So saying that they left the building too late to do anything other than loans doesn't wash with me.

It will be interesting to see if the club acknowledge the discontent over this.

I am glad there is no game for a wee while and this season looks like a long, long drag....compare this to a few weeks ago!

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Good morning all but there is f*** all good about it. Sold 2 of our best players and brought in loanees. Scrooge will now put the money into the piggy bank and we may see some of it come out for new contracts to keep existing players,

Big worries. will we survive in the Premiership this season and what do we have left for next season when the loanees goo back and Clark McCart Rooney etc do not sign new contracts. Many of them will also be worried about survival and will wait to the end of the season before or IF resigning

It was a black night

We are now in the position where most of the team can sign PCAs in January & walk away for free.

We are up shit creek. Great  management.

Who would have thought after last season we could find ourselves in this position.

2 minutes ago, Cagey said:

We are now in the position where most of the team can sign PCAs in January & walk away for free.

We are up shit creek. Great  management.

Who would have thought after last season we could find ourselves in this position.

That's harsh on Callum, I doubt he's had much say in any of this.  Shite chairmanship I'd say.

12 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Stuff what he wants.

Yes, I don't buy into the whole "he wanted to try his luck in England". Sorry, but Ali McCann's desires do NOT COME BEFORE CLUB. He's contracted by mutual agreement for 2 F*CKING SEASONS.Why the rush to sell? If he has a release clause, tell us! If he doesn't... someone please explain... Morelos has been after a move out, Ferguson at Aberdeen after a move out, even bloody Kane at Spurs. I'm sure Ali would've been professional enough to see the season out- his fee would only increase & we could plan, identify & close out replacements. But no, Stevie "Trump" Brown is trying to sell us an excellent deal??? C'mon!!! It's shite!!! Next, we'll find out it's in installments & we should be happy with it. Also, SB reckons it "may be over £1.75m with add-ons". What??? It should be £1.75m plus add-ons!!! I reckon we've lost £700-800k on this. Yes, it is a big fricking deal- that's a huge amount for saints. Plus, a lot of walk-ins aren't going to come. For the foreseeable future.

Keep trying to sell it Stevie... We aren't mugs. I can understand ST's demonstrating at the Rangers game. SB has 10 days with the international break before that & he'll need every minute to spin his way out.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

I don't know why they Sold Ali and didn't hold out for another season but can only think that it was down to the player and what he wanted. We are not daft we have all known that players would be sold eventually it's jus a shock to see 2 go at once. 

As for replacements hopefully they are using them in the same way as we did with brown. Get them in on loan then sign them. 

Look at the some of the loan deals bigger clubs that saints have been involved in. 

Yeah but look at the quality of those players & the wages they are paying. We are loaning young players with no first team appearances & crocks who can't get a regular game in inferior teams.

This time your glass half full is not convincing me MS.

11 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Yes, I don't buy into the whole "he wanted to try his luck in England". Sorry, but Ali McCann's desires do NOT COME BEFORE CLUB. He's contracted by mutual agreement for 2 F*CKING SEASONS.Why the rush to sell? If he has a release clause, tell us! If he doesn't... someone please explain... Morelos has been after a move out, Ferguson at Aberdeen after a move out, even bloody Kane at Spurs. I'm sure Ali would've been professional enough to see the season out- his fee would only increase & we could plan, identify & close out replacements. But no, Stevie "Trump" Brown is trying to sell us an excellent deal??? C'mon!!! It's shite!!! Next, we'll find out it's in installments & we should be happy with it. Also, SB reckons it "may be over £1.75m with add-ons". What??? It should be £1.75m plus add-ons!!! I reckon we've lost £700-800k on this. Yes, it is a big fricking deal- that's a huge amount for saints. Plus, a lot of walk-ins aren't going to come. For the foreseeable future.

Keep trying to sell it Stevie... We aren't mugs. I can understand ST's demonstrating at the Rangers game. SB has 10 days with the international break before that & he'll need every minute to spin his way out.

1000% this.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Thanks ,yes management ie Board or Brown . Not not manager ie Callum . But as I said last night Tommy would not have been silent on this.

Callum is, unfortunately for us, well above that level of pettiness.  I suspect he'll be off to the next championship side that needs a new manager.  It won't be long until he's gone after this.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Yeah but look at the quality of those players & the wages they are paying. We are loaning young players with no first team appearances & crocks who can't get a regular game in inferior teams.

This time your glass half full is not convincing me MS.

Generally, the whole point of being a selling club, is we sell at a tidy profit, re-invest this money in players with more potential than those that we sold were originally and slowly develop a squad. There is always going to be a point where teams plunder the best of that squad- it's a cycle. 

We seem to have missed a cog. We're getting loans. If they're decent, other clubs will come in for them. We can't compete on wages. If they're average, we'll probably sign them. Like Brown. Now we do have 2 players of talent coming through, Ballantyne & Max, but there's a gaping hole in experience & talent.

We should've kept McCann until summer. In fact, even if it was for the same money in summer, I'd be happier. We're facing a god awful season unless something happens in January. 

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

I think you need to chill. No not happy that McCann is away but the player and his agent have obviously expressed a desire to leave and why would you keep an unhappy player at the club. 

Clubs do it all the time. Why do we roll over? We do not benefit by doing this business so close to the end of the window.

SB just says "if you're after McCann, wait until next summer. If you're really keen, sort out a great offer by start of December, and we can get a replacement in January". 

Done.