Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

OK. I am all moaned out.We all know Saints have ****ed up but we are where we are.

We expected to lose Jason & had little hope of keeping him. IF we got £600k plus decent add one then it is probably the best we could get. I think we can cope without him as long as Gordon is in the team.

McCann is a different kettle of fish. No way we will get or bring through a player as good as Ali. We just have to hope that Crawford is close to the player he was at Hamilton & the St Mirren player is better than their fans think.

£1.2 million is a disgrace for a player who is an International & there is not a pundit or opposition fan that doesn't think he is a class player.

On the positive side if Tommy had kept McClean instead of McCann we would not have got anything & may not have won 2 cups & had the pleasure of watching probably the best player to play for Saints.

Thanks Tommy for Ali, Rooney & McCart.

2 hours ago, montrosesaintee said:

Anyone else think Saints were waiting for the work permit to be finalised before announcing the Finn, but have made the official statement in panic to try and counter the negative bombardment about McCann and Kerr. Expect the photo was taken a while ago!

Worry is that it could still go tits up. 

My thoughts exactly, broony asking the press help me out boys Im in a bit of shit:D

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

OK. I am all moaned out.We all know Saints have ****ed up but we are where we are.

We expected to lose Jason & had little hope of keeping him. IF we got £600k plus decent add one then it is probably the best we could get. I think we can cope without him as long as Gordon is in the team.

McCann is a different kettle of fish. No way we will get or bring through a player as good as Ali. We just have to hope that Crawford is close to the player he was at Hamilton & the St Mirren player is better than their fans think.

£1.2 million is a disgrace for a player who is an International & there is not a pundit or opposition fan that doesn't think he is a class player.

On the positive side if Tommy had kept McClean instead of McCann we would not have got anything & may not have won 2 cups & had the pleasure of watching probably the best player to play for Saints.

I’m still processing it all.

Fair play for attempting to make sense of everything. 

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Confused. What have you done with Cagey? This is way too positive. 

I’m hoping we can see more of Gilmour, we still have the lad Kucheravyi at Brechin who is supposedly a talent, and if we can get some some form out Ali Crawford, we should be ok. 

my biggest concern right now is Gordon’s injury. We are super light at the back and really lacking in experience 

How realistic it is, I don't know, but from what I could see on google, Dendoncker is on a contract to 2022 same with McPherson, so perhaps these are more long term than we expect.

I assume we can still make free transfers, so there might (only might) be something there. I'd say where's Guy, but by the time we get a work permit for him and get him match fit, we would be into the turn of the year!

5 minutes ago, MrBored said:

How realistic it is, I don't know, but from what I could see on google, Dendoncker is on a contract to 2022 same with McPherson, so perhaps these are more long term than we expect.

If we're signing players on loan with an option to buying them then thats fine but surely the club should have stated that at the time?

10 minutes ago, MrBored said:

I assume we can still make free transfers, so there might (only might) be something there. I'd say where's Guy, but by the time we get a work permit for him and get him match fit, we would be into the turn of the year!

Sure we have an option to buy on Ali Crawford, would assume similar with MacPherson, in that it’s a loan to a view of a permanent deal. 

Dendoncker is probably out of our hands. Will depend as much on him and how good he is, and Brighton.  

The problem with loans is that if the player has a great 6 months, you can be placing them in the shop window for someone else. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

18 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

If we're signing players on loan with an option to buying them then thats fine but surely the club should have stated that at the time?

Don't disagree at all, but I think that's how we played the Brown loan last season. At first all that was mentioned was the loan to replace McN...then as time went on it became clear Millwall weren't renewing his contract.

There's no way Dendonker is anything other than a loan. He's only just signed for Brighton and they are just looking to get him some senior game time.

The only way we could sign Muller is if he's not awful, but not great either and so Millwall don't want to keep him.

I imagine Crawford and MacPherson are effectively on 6 month trials. We sign them on pre-contracts in January if they do ok.

8 minutes ago, Linky said:

There's no way Dendonker is anything other than a loan. He's only just signed for Brighton and they are just looking to get him some senior game time.

The only way we could sign Muller is if he's not awful, but not great either and so Millwall don't want to keep him.

I imagine Crawford and MacPherson are effectively on 6 month trials. We sign them on pre-contracts in January if they do ok.

If they do ok?

Then they'll head for someone paying higher wages.

5 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

If they do ok?

Then they'll head for someone paying higher wages.

That's why I say 'ok'. Not good enough to catch someone's eye, but solid enough for us to offer a contract (like Brown rather than Melamed).

Edited by Linky

Disappointing to sell 2 great players but wish them all the best and hope it all works out for them. We all new sooner or later they would go and amazed we held onto them for so long. In terms of price, unfortunately and it shoulnt be this way but we are St Johnstone and even winning 2 cups doesnt seem to alter how St Johnstone players are valued.

Even if the club had got 3m for McCann they wouldnt have spent it on players. The biggest disappointment is that these deals were so last minute it does look we have left ourselves short to get the right players in, how many potential replacements have we missed out on waiting on these deals.

17 minutes ago, Center Half said:

We have got Cammy Ballantyne, need to let him loose as we did McCann now and see if he grows into it, Probably had a better loan experience than McCann  had so now is his time!    

I'd agree with this - give the lad some game time between now and Xmas. Probably need to break him in gradually but we need to demonstrate that the next generation of youngsters are going to get their chance

59 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

I'd agree with this - give the lad some game time between now and Xmas. Probably need to break him in gradually but we need to demonstrate that the next generation of youngsters are going to get their chance

Aye but will the wallopers gie the boy time before there on his back.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Disappointing to sell 2 great players but wish them all the best and hope it all works out for them. We all new sooner or later they would go and amazed we held onto them for so long. In terms of price, unfortunately and it shoulnt be this way but we are St Johnstone and even winning 2 cups doesnt seem to alter how St Johnstone players are valued.

Even if the club had got 3m for McCann they wouldnt have spent it on players. The biggest disappointment is that these deals were so last minute it does look we have left ourselves short to get the right players in, how many potential replacements have we missed out on waiting on these deals.

All good points, got to remember all hell would have broken loose if we had sold them before our Europe exit.  Also there were no bids from any bigger clubs so you could say Preston and Wigan saw an opportunity.  Trouble is I can't see the sell on clause raising much of a bonus down the line, neither club has the clout to break through the £10m barrier.

Whilst the cash to Saints was a disappointment both players will be pleased with their increased wages and will see the moves as good intermediate steps to higher things.  They will get game time for a start.

I've calmed down a wee bit now. I'm genuinely chuffed for Kerr and McCann to have got moves they wanted - as mentioned above they'll get game time at their clubs, and have every chance to progress to bigger things.  I wish them every success and thoroughly enjoyed watching them at Saints.

What still angers me is the McCann deal.  We, as fans, are often a bit off the mark with valuations, but in this case the chairman himself had (admittedly somewhat vaguely) put a value on his head months ago, and then proclaimed that an offer of around half that was too good to turn down, at the last minute of the window with no chance to source a replacement.

I think Callum has done pretty well to get a few loans in under the circumstances.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Here's my thought on this.

Ali McCann away to Preston in the english "2nd division". No chance of winning anything but will be earning a lot more money than he did at saints.

Jason Kerr away to Wigan in the english "3rd division". No chance of winning anything but will be earning a lot more money than he did at saints.

We are left with this question. How can an English 3rd division team pay more money than a Scottish premier league team?

Here's the answer. Sky Sports.

If you are a St Johnstone supporter and are paying a subscription to Sky Sports I would suggest that you cancel your subscription.

You are part of the problem.