Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

7 hours ago, saintee in exile said:

Totally.If you go to the Preston social media links they think it is a complete bargain.Want does that tell you!

I’ve spent my whole day at work fielding questions from colleagues in disbelief. They just can’t fathom how McCann went to anyone for that sort of fee.

3 hours ago, south inch said:

All good points, got to remember all hell would have broken loose if we had sold them before our Europe exit.  Also there were no bids from any bigger clubs so you could say Preston and Wigan saw an opportunity.  Trouble is I can't see the sell on clause raising much of a bonus down the line, neither club has the clout to break through the £10m barrier.

Whilst the cash to Saints was a disappointment both players will be pleased with their increased wages and will see the moves as good intermediate steps to higher things.  They will get game time for a start.

A bit of a what if situation but would Kerr and McCann have stayed if we had got through last Thursday. I think we would have had them until January and been able to plan replacements a bit better and had money to help.

47 minutes ago, Rob said:

A bit of a what if situation but would Kerr and McCann have stayed if we had got through last Thursday. I think we would have had them until January and been able to plan replacements a bit better and had money to help.

I think so, I thought Ali made it fairly obvious he was off after the game.

4 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

God help the guys who have come in on loan when they make their first mistake.

I can hear the moans now, so & so wouldn't have done this or that.

Gie the guys a break.

They are all Saints, for the present.

C.o.y.s.

Yep. We were all angry this morning, angry at the outgoings and unimpressed by the incomings. But none of this is the players' fault. 

All the new guys seem happy to be coming to Saints so let's give them our support. 

The dust has settled, we still have most of last season's squad, we still have our manager.

Zander, Rooney, Gordon, Mccart, Booth. Liam, Muzz, Spoony. MOH, Middleton, Kano, May, Hendry, all still here.

Keep the faith, COYS.

10 hours ago, Lubolzer said:

Here's my thought on this.

Ali McCann away to Preston in the english "2nd division". No chance of winning anything but will be earning a lot more money than he did at saints.

Jason Kerr away to Wigan in the english "3rd division". No chance of winning anything but will be earning a lot more money than he did at saints.

We are left with this question. How can an English 3rd division team pay more money than a Scottish premier league team?

Here's the answer. Sky Sports.

If you are a St Johnstone supporter and are paying a subscription to Sky Sports I would suggest that you cancel your subscription.

You are part of the problem.

Saints TV all the way. Magic.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

That is a moot point. It's not about Kerr- let's be clear. He was going, we got a fee, good on him. Nice lad.

McCann is different. Every player wants to "play in England/spain" whatever. I'm sure everyone in a profession would like to grow & develop. I am a bit uneasy about SB using this glib excuse. We were fully in our rights to keep McCann for 2 years. What the mystery is... Why the rush??? Why jeopardise the squad? It makes no sense. 

Absolutely none.

57 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

Yeah he 100% knew he was saying farewell at the end of the Lask game

So what???? Does anyone deserve to break a contract & leave us in the lurch until Christmas? Does CD deserve that? Do the season ticket holders deserve that???

No!!!

I don't think it's at all an over reaction until SB shows the maths behind this deal.

To most people, and that includes pretty much everything and anyone that knows Ali or watched him, press, players, etc he's a £2m + signing. Then add-ons. 

I don't think Stevie should be let off with this. If he could at least explain his reasoning. To dump £700k in 2 months is one heck of a fire sale. Makes Rooney at £200k look overpriced (maybe is). McCart at £250k? Might as well pocket it. 

Seriously, if we're going to do a complete squad overhaul, let's do it on our terms!

And before folk start saying "over-reaction"...

McCart- gone January. Gordon? Doubt that, but who knows. 

What have we got left? 6 loanees & 3 going to pasture.

5 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

That is a moot point. It's not about Kerr- let's be clear. He was going, we got a fee, good on him. Nice lad.

McCann is different. Every player wants to "play in England/spain" whatever. I'm sure everyone in a profession would like to grow & develop. I am a bit uneasy about SB using this glib excuse. We were fully in our rights to keep McCann for 2 years. What the mystery is... Why the rush??? Why jeopardise the squad? It makes no sense. 

Absolutely none.

If you listen to the clip from him speaking at his new club  and snippets here and there  it's clear to me anyway,that he forced this through and clearly was leaving matter where 

you could also tell at the end of Latz game that he was off

same with Kerr who incidentally was heading to Charlton for 200 k before Wigan stepped in

7 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

If you listen to the clip from him speaking at his new club  and snippets here and there  it's clear to me anyway,that he forced this through and clearly was leaving matter where 

same with Kerr who incidentally was heading to Charlton for 200 k before Wigan stepped in

Snippets do not render a contract meaningless. 

There has to be something else (I hope), otherwise, no one- yourself included, can justify this.

You're resorting to clips from the club he's just joined. 

Even Griffiths' will spout shit at joining ScumDee. 

30 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Good to know that our disinterested chairman let himself be bullied by a 21 year old. Our biggest asset in years. 

19 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Snippets do not render a contract meaningless. 

There has to be something else (I hope), otherwise, no one- yourself included, can justify this.

You're resorting to clips from the club he's just joined. 

Even Griffiths' will spout shit at joining ScumDee. 

Wither we like it or not English clubs will look at Scotland as a bit of a back water and cherry pick good players on the cheap

We are also a selling club with a youth Academy  which is now producing players through Alistair Stevenson and his staff

You grow that reputation by bringing on more players  and allowing ones who have developed to leave when the time is correct 

we may not like it but the time was right for the players involved 

Its obvious to me anyway the the move was pushed through by the player and if Saints play hard ball you have an unhappy player and damage the reputation of the Academy and Saints as being difficult to deal with

5 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Wither we like it or not English clubs will look at Scotland as a bit of a back water and cherry pick good players on the cheap

We are also a selling club with a youth Academy  which is now producing players through Alistair Stevenson and his staff

You grow that reputation by bringing on more players  and allowing ones who have developed to leave when the time is correct 

Its obvious to me anyway the the move was pushed through by the player and if Saints play hard ball you have an unhappy player and damage the reputation of the Academy and Saints as being difficult to deal with

How does our reputation look after being "firm" about a price in the media and then letting the player go for nowhere near that?

11 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I don't disagree about Kerr but Saints should have stood firm with McCann if he was pushing for a move. He's young enough and perhaps getting him to honour his contract would be a better example. I'm not sure he'd have been unhappy - he's always struck me as being the quiet professional.  There's a difference between being difficult to live with and not being a pushover. 

Any good prospects coming thru from Saints are now likely to be the target of club chancing their luck in the likelihood the chairman will cave in and accept a low bid.