Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

Can't say I am 'happy' with the upfront fee reported, but glad the club (and Brown himself rather than anyone else) have come out and given some reasoning behind it.

A couple of bits you wonder about though. No doubt the Preston package for Ali is a much bigger one than he was on. But a "potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity" ? Not so sure....I suppose that could be true had he stayed and suffered a huge injury while with us. Otherwise, quite sure he would have gone to get the same deal within a year or two anyway.

That said, I can understand that the club need to show potential players that we are not going to stand in the way of them moving to bigger and better things. That should make us more appealing to the McCann's of the future.

The money being re-invested in the "football dept" doesn't necessarily mean we are going to spend big bucks in January, but I suppose we can't have everything and at least its not going on the car park.

14 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Doubt it will appease people on here but good statement.

How can it not? Ali was tapped up but he really doesn’t cover himself in glory, the way it was done. 

I found it notable that Steve went out of his way to praise Jason as an individual in his statement but kept very quiet on wee Ali. Obviously not happy at all with the way it came about. 

Whichever way you look at it, the fundamental issue to me is... This was not handled well.

McCann was a steal. We're left with 6 loanees and will have to scrap to Christmas. And I mean scrap.

We shouldn't be in this position. We had the cards. 

It's a really bitter taste. 

Signing 3 loans, limited games (if any) for 2 international players (I count Kerr as one), doesn't cut it. 

SB's release was what is expected. Shift the blame to Ali.

SB, you could've got that in the summer. 

We were sideswiped. 

Just now, Melbourne Saint said:

Nope. Doesn't address Jack shit. Illegal move & we've been turned over.

Of course it addresses it. Illegal move or not, it’s very clear from that statement that Ali forced it. Look at how he fawns over Kerr versus how he talks about Ali. Doesn’t speak about him as a person, just states that both Callum and Steve have a clear conscience (which suggests to me that A N Other party might not…) 

Absolutely do not want to have a player here that doesn’t want to be here.

Whether you can prove he was tapped up is another story. 

We have only lost 2 players. Granted, 2 of our best players. But perhaps some of these loan signings will be sensational, Eetu might be the 20+ goal machine we,ve been crying out for. Perhaps Callum has a plan to go to a different formation given the squad strengths/weaknesses. 

Equally, they may all be utter crap. I think writing off this season already is a bitt of a leap. Just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

I do agree though that they're is too many loans and that it'll be a hell of a rebuild job in Jan/next summer.

Also, I don't think any of us can really complain about a player (Ali) that could clearly cut it down south and wanted the chance to get a much, much higher wage and if all goes well a chance to show his skills to teams in the English Prem.

2 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Wither we like it or not English clubs will look at Scotland as a bit of a back water and cherry pick good players on the cheap

We are also a selling club with a youth Academy  which is now producing players through Alistair Stevenson and his staff

You grow that reputation by bringing on more players  and allowing ones who have developed to leave when the time is correct 

we may not like it but the time was right for the players involved 

Its obvious to me anyway the the move was pushed through by the player and if Saints play hard ball you have an unhappy player and damage the reputation of the Academy and Saints as being difficult to deal with

While I absolutely agree with the wider sentiment. Part of the strategy here should be getting in decent fees, "Scotland  doesn't need to be a back water where players go on the cheap." 

As someone else has pointed out Hibs have held firm with Nisbet (and McGinn before him) and Motherwell have done an excellent job of bringing in decent fees for players in the last 5 years or so. Being a well run club in 2021 isn't just about having money in the bank, its about managing the playing assets and developing and growing the club's reputation, but also growing the fees you bring in.

Edited by gingermunkie

Interesting we haven't heard anything from CD at all about either move.

The reading of the statement suggests AM's agent had discussions with Preston prior to any offer being accepted, otherwise how did he know that there was the opportunity to move on and that there was a financially appealing offer there for him.

Sounds like agents doing what agents do.

I may be reading too much into this, but I saw quite a few messages from players saying goodbye to Kerr...not so many for McCann...but I may have just missed them.

The bit that still 'annoys' me slightly is that from that statement we knew Kerr was going from 4-5 in the a/noon. A little after knew the likelyhood that McCann was going as well, yet we didn't bring in anyone to strength the squad other than on a loan basis.

Not sure we can say that we didn't have enough time to do anything else other than the loans that came in.

An increased offer came in from Preston around 5pm, which was also turned down.

Shortly after this, it was made abundantly clear to Callum and I that Ali wanted to move on, and from a footballing perspective, challenge himself at a higher level.

We were also made aware that the financial package which had been offered to him was life-changing and potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Am I reading this correctly. he turned down 2 offers Did Ali not want to challenge himself when the first offers came in and was it not life changing money when the first 2 offers came in.

I a reading it he could not careless about Ali challenging himself or life changing money or he would have negotiated a deal for Ali when the first or second offer came in. No he wanted the money which is life changing for the clubs bank account

Average player salaries in the Championship are reported to be £29,000 a week, compared to league one where it is £4,750 a week.  What is our pay structure?  £2k a week?

I'd suggest that increasing his salary from £100,000 a year to £1.5m would be pretty life changing.  A 4 year contract - I'd definitely say £6m was life changing!

The point I was trying to make any player going to the English championship the money is going to be life changing we know that and Brown knows that so why did he not negotiate when the first offer came. By turning down 2 offers that we know of and not negotiate he denied Ali this life changing money. It was not important to then Now all of a sudden it is.

Therefore when an English championship team comes knocking on our door in future  does he negotiate or deny the player life changing money

Edited by Johnny B

11 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

An increased offer came in from Preston around 5pm, which was also turned down.

Shortly after this, it was made abundantly clear to Callum and I that Ali wanted to move on, and from a footballing perspective, challenge himself at a higher level.

We were also made aware that the financial package which had been offered to him was life-changing and potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Am I reading this correctly. he turned down 2 offers Did Ali not want to challenge himself when the first offers came in and was it not life changing money when the first 2 offers came in.

I a reading it he could not careless about Ali challenging himself or life changing money or he would have negotiated a deal for Ali when the first or second offer came in. No he wanted the money which is life changing for the clubs bank account

Could it not be that the player and his agent were happy to leave it with the club, but felt it necessary to intervene after two offers were turned down? Many of us would not have waited that long in a similar situation. Any worker is entitled to get the most they can in return for their labour whether they be a postie or a football player. It’s as simple as that.