Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

4 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Any worker is entitled to get the most they can in return for their labour whether they be a postie or a football player. It’s as simple as that.

I agree comrade and an honourable man will honour his contact

Edited by Johnny B

14 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

"reinvested back into the football department" :laugh:

Great choice of words. Could've said......"playing squad", "first team",         " transfers", " Callums budget", "contracts". 

Could be all of the above... {crosses everything}

{whispers} Genuinely think investing in infrastructure would be a good idea right now. Was disappointed they didn't ear mark some of the Farm for expansion of the training facilitates. 

Thought the statement was fair. I think everyone thought McCann was worth more than Saints got and can agree PNE got a bargain but if Ali felt it was time he went and the club got what they thought was acceptable then we should leave it at that. I know he had a contract but the lad doesnt owe the club anything, he was an exceptional player for Saints who never let us down and a real Saints legend. The last minute deal is the disappointing thing.

Whatever happened to putting the clubs best interests first?

To lose our best player minutes before the deadline for that amount is a joke.

Why couldn’t we have waited another four months and not leave ourselves in the shit?

If it’s as easy as simply telling them you want to leave then there’ll be a queue forming outside his office shortly. 

13 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Why couldn’t we have waited another four months and not leave ourselves in the shit?

If it’s as easy as simply telling them you want to leave then there’ll be a queue forming outside his office shortly. 

We’ve replaced McCann with Ali Crawford and Cami MacPherson. Both could become permanent deals too. 

Whether it happened on day 1 or deadline day, I’m sure the club had targets. Whether we are able to get those targets is another story, but I imagine we’re evaluating players for all positions constantly. 

We were successful before McCann and Kerr and I fully believe we can continue to be successful going forward. We’ve taken in around £3m plus the Covid loan so we’re sitting in a very healthy position 

3 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

That's too simplistic a view. There is a reason good decent players - (Spoony, Kane and Zander)  as examples have been happy to sign contracts with the club. We have offered pretty good contracts commensuarate with ability whilst leaving the door open for them to play themselves in to the shop window. 

Young McCann knew his star was rising, with performances and youth on his side not to mention an agent bending his ear it was inevitable he was going; there is a fine line to tread making these decisions. We could have kept an unhappy player and he could have in turn lost form and become less attractive to clubs. We'll see the full value of this transfer and another McCann will appear because our strength as a club is producing these talented players.

13 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

We’ve replaced McCann with Ali Crawford and Cami MacPherson. Both could become permanent deals too. 

Whether it happened on day 1 or deadline day, I’m sure the club had targets. Whether we are able to get those targets is another story, but I imagine we’re evaluating players for all positions constantly. 

We were successful before McCann and Kerr and I fully believe we can continue to be successful going forward. We’ve taken in around £3m plus the Covid loan so we’re sitting in a very healthy position 

How is losing your best player minutes before the deadline and on the first day of the window even close to being the same thing?

I’ll support the new signings 100% but on paper they look like desperation signings. One can’t get a game for St Mirren ffs.

15 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

That's too simplistic a view. There is a reason good decent players - (Spoony, Kane and Zander)  as examples have been happy to sign contracts with the club. We have offered pretty good contracts commensuarate with ability whilst leaving the door open for them to play themselves in to the shop window. 

Young McCann knew his star was rising, with performances and youth on his side not to mention an agent bending his ear it was inevitable he was going; there is a fine line to tread making these decisions. We could have kept an unhappy player and he could have in turn lost form and become less attractive to clubs. We'll see the full value of this transfer and another McCann will appear because our strength as a club is producing these talented players.

I’m not blaming McCann. I’m questioning the clubs decision to sell him in the manner they did. He was always going to be sold at some stage. Sell him on the clubs terms, not minutes before the deadline.

Preston have always been a good payer. I can go back nearly 20 years during the spell that David Beckham was on loan there and David Moise was captain, one of our coaches at the boys club was sold to them form Dunfermline and the difference in wages even back then was incredible. 

Going by what Ali says in the paper and what is being said by the Club he has received an incredible offer, very strange that it was agreed form a players perspective so quick. Obviously some discussions with agents had taken place before hand. Disappointing as it is i do wish him all the best. 

2 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Preston have always been a good payer. I can go back nearly 20 years during the spell that David Beckham was on loan there and David Moise was captain, one of our coaches at the boys club was sold to them form Dunfermline and the difference in wages even back then was incredible. 

Going by what Ali says in the paper and what is being said by the Club he has received an incredible offer, very strange that it was agreed form a players perspective so quick. Obviously some discussions with agents had taken place before hand. Disappointing as it is i do wish him all the best. 

They’ve basically saved themselves a few hundred grand on the transfer fee by going straight to the player.

54 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

We’ve replaced McCann with Ali Crawford and Cami MacPherson. 

Charlie Gilmour was signed in February with the intention of stepping up once McCann was away.

MacPherson will simply be adding numbers.

Much like Muller was brought in for when Kerr left, with Dendoncker now taking up the back up role.

Crawford is probably in so we can loan out Ballantyne. 

Interesting to read in the paper today that the Northern Ireland manager Barraclough said in relation to Ali that he knew a month ago something could happen and that any medical whilst he was on international duty would have to be carried out by NI medical staff as Ali would not be leaving training camp.  Preston accepted this or deal would not have gone through.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Charlie Gilmour was signed in February with the intention of stepping up once McCann was away.

MacPherson will simply be adding numbers.

Much like Muller was brought in for when Kerr left, with Dendoncker now taking up the back up role.

Crawford is probably in so we can loan out Ballantyne. 

In an ideal world this would be the case. I don’t think it’s as clear cut as him being the replacement. Given his injury history and the fact he’s barely played any senior football I would say sadly the odds are against him. Definitely worth taking a punt on him just incase.

Edited by Brian Potter

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Thought the statement was fair. I think everyone thought McCann was worth more than Saints got and can agree PNE got a bargain but if Ali felt it was time he went and the club got what they thought was acceptable then we should leave it at that. I know he had a contract but the lad doesnt owe the club anything, he was an exceptional player for Saints who never let us down and a real Saints legend. The last minute deal is the disappointing thing.

What are you talking about!!!!!

1) St.Johnstone is a business and that is BAD business financially speaking

2) St.Johnstone is a business that relies on reputation, that has shattered our reputation as as a club who can negotiate in the future

3) St.Johnstone is a business that relies(in part) in keeping paying customers happy, this has alienated and angered the customers

4) St.Johnstone is a business that operates in the entertainment business. How can selling your most exciting, talented player ever been seen as anything other than reducing the entertainment available for customers

It is a terrible, shocking situation no matter what way you try to paint it.

17 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

What are you talking about!!!!!

1) St.Johnstone is a business and that is BAD business financially speaking

2) St.Johnstone is a business that relies on reputation, that has shattered our reputation as as a club who can negotiate in the future

3) St.Johnstone is a business that relies(in part) in keeping paying customers happy, this has alienated and angered the customers

4) St.Johnstone is a business that operates in the entertainment business. How can selling your most exciting, talented player ever been seen as anything other than reducing the entertainment available for customers

It is a terrible, shocking situation no matter what way you try to paint it.

I think you'll find that now that the dust has settled and  the detail of the deal is known fans are starting to see the bigger picture and a lot of that anger has dissipated.

Fans are always unhappy when one of their favourites leave that will always be the case.

I totally disagree with all your points.

St.Johnstone are a business that is the envy of every club in Scotland. 

Edited by SaintJet