Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

That’s what I heard from someone with connections at the club. 

Brown has said it will reach 2 million in time, so presumably add-ons for appearances. Add on even 10% of a future transfer fee, and he could double our record fee in time. Of course none of this might happen - judgements have to be made. The point is, you cannot evaluate transfer fees just on the up-front amount any more. 

2 hours ago, Brian Potter said:

Whatever happened to putting the clubs best interests first?

To lose our best player minutes before the deadline for that amount is a joke.

Why couldn’t we have waited another four months and not leave ourselves in the shit?

If it’s as easy as simply telling them you want to leave then there’ll be a queue forming outside his office shortly. 

Rooney & McCart might be pissed off at not getting a life changing move .Might have been better to leave that bit out.

Its a dangerous example to set IMO it gives all the power to the player.Surely Ali should have been told we want 3million for you and until we get that you are not going anywhere. Now the players at Saints know they have the upper hand over the club and the buying clubs know that Saints are a soft touch.Its not a great way to go about business and i fear they're will be a few more leaving for pennies in Jan.

Jack Hendry went for 8million and Mackenna 3million....are you telling me Ali and Jason combined are worth a lot less than Mackenna

8 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

Its a dangerous example to set IMO it gives all the power to the player.Surely Ali should have been told we want 3million for you and until we get that you are not going anywhere. Now the players at Saints know they have the upper hand over the club and the buying clubs know that Saints are a soft touch.Its not a great way to go about business and i fear they're will be a few more leaving for pennies in Jan.

Jack Hendry went for 8million and Mackenna 3million....are you telling me Ali and Jason combined are worth a lot less than Mackenna

Hendry went for 1million, then went for 3 million then 8 million at all times Dundee and Celtic got a sell on fee. 

Whether we like it or not, the way this deal was done happens up and down the land, yes it’s crap yes it stinks yes we have lost a fantastic player, but I’d rather we didn’t have an unhappy player not giving 100%. 

For me this is now closed, I’m over it - move on and concentrate on the here and now.

Too many of us on here are picking the bones out of SB statement, in my current job I’ve met them all and they clearly aren’t silly people.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by bluesaint
Spelling

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

Simple... player power these days they are all at it, plus the world we live in at the moment most businesses are scraping ££ together.

I think it’s a good statement and explains a lot.

Reading between the lines, Brown rejected the bids from Preston before Ali (or his agent) essentially told him he had to accept it. He made it ‘abundantly clear’ to Brown that he wanted to leave and would’ve been an ‘unhappy player’ if he hadn’t have got his way. That’s a polite way of saying that things got nasty.

They ‘have a clear conscience’, suggesting Ali perhaps does not.

the only thing I feel is that, with Kerr leaving fairly early on in the evening, could they not have got a better replacement than a youth player on the loan from Brighton?

5 minutes ago, Linky said:

I think it’s a good statement and explains a lot.

Reading between the lines, Brown rejected the bids from Preston before Ali (or his agent) essentially told him he had to accept it. He made it ‘abundantly clear’ to Brown that he wanted to leave and would’ve been an ‘unhappy player’ if he hadn’t have got his way. That’s a polite way of saying that things got nasty.

They ‘have a clear conscience’, suggesting Ali perhaps does not.

the only thing I feel is that, with Kerr leaving fairly early on in the evening, could they not have got a better replacement than a youth player on the loan from Brighton?

That is why Muller was brought in at start of season.  Young lad from Brighton is backup something we never had last season.

40 minutes ago, slf said:

Where did you pluck this figure from ?

The story of the accepted £500k bid from Hibs and contract offer came from one of Jason’s family on the day of the Galatasaray game. 

Kerr turned Hibs down because his ties with Saints are so strong and he didn’t want to ruin that for a few hundred quid.

Although I suspect it was also partly due to him knowing he couldn’t achieve any more there than he has here, and could earn much more moving down south. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2502758/callum-davidson-st-johnstone-didnt-block-perth-managers-big-move-to-blackburn-rovers-and-it-wasnt-right-to-start-doing-that-with-jason-kerr-and-ali-mccann/

“Both boys wanted to go,” said Davidson. “These were life-changing moves. “People will say that we could have held on to Ali (who had two years left on his contract compared to Kerr’s one) for another window but you can’t choose when an opportunity comes along. “It was similar to my own career when Blackburn came in. “I obviously spoke to Ali and he was desperate to go. “Both players absolutely loved it at St Johnstone and that did make it hard for them to leave. “But they knew that football-wise these were great moves for both of them.”

He added: “We wouldn’t turn down bid after bid because this is part of their development. I want Jason to go on to play for Scotland and for Ali to have a brilliant career. “The timing was unfortunate because we didn’t really have any contact from the clubs until the last day of the window. “With Ali’s one, I was just about to go home. I thought it wasn’t going to happen – that was late into the night. “I didn’t think I’d lose him all window or even that last night.”

It will be reassuring for Saints fans that Davidson and his chairman, Steve Brown, were on the same page.

“Ultimately decisions like this do lie with the money men,” said the manager. “We’ve had the Covid situation for 18 months. It’s about doing what’s right for the club and the players. “Football-wise, this was right for both lads. “It’s not as if we’ve been bullied but it’s a classic case of a bigger club coming in with a big bid right at the end of the window. “You see it happening elsewhere. “The offer was a good one, when you take into account the sell-on and everything else. “But obviously, as a manager, it doesn’t give me much time. “What I would say is, I would still have gone for Cammy MacPherson (the midfielder signed from St Mirren on loan for the season) even if this had happened a couple of weeks ago. “I believe he’s a top young player. I’ve been keeping an eye on him for a while. “I could have done other things as well, though. “You speak to other managers and they’ll tell you it’s their worst nightmare when a big club comes in for one of your players like that. “It’s something I’ve learned now. “This is probably the first time it’s happened to us – having a problematic last day before the deadline.”

There was fan fury at the fee of £1.2 million up front for McCann but Davidson insisted that the clauses in the deal for future revenue was key, as it was with Wigan, to agreement being reached. “The deals wouldn’t have gone through if it hadn’t been for the sell-ons,” he pointed out. “They’re massive for the club. “I believe that both boys will go on to bigger and better things.”

That was important from CD, although you sense his disappointment. It is what it is.

Onwards! Well, we've got a guy to find players. He has time now, knows what we have, and haven't got for the future. January I imagine may be interesting, for once. 

I'd like clarification on whether the likes of McPherson & Devine have any option to buy. 

Time to create new legends. I wouldn't put it in the realms of improbable to see Max coming back around Christmas. He's a great player. 

No idea about gilmour, fingers crossed, same with Crawford. 

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I doubt Gilmours career is limited to the Rangers game.

I agree my point was if Gilmour was to be McCann's replacement CD has not given him the game time to get him ready for the first game after McCann's departure  i.e. Rangers There was always a chance that McCann could leave in this window, and CD did not give Gilmour any time to play himself into the role. You could read into it CD believes he is not good enough or he is not ready to take up the role . 

23 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I agree my point was if Gilmour was to be McCann's replacement CD has not given him the game time to get him ready for the first game after McCann's departure  i.e. Rangers There was always a chance that McCann could leave in this window, and CD did not give Gilmour any time to play himself into the role. You could read into it CD believes he is not good enough or he is not ready to take up the role . 

Gilmour has been injured.

15 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

What are you talking about!!!!!

1) St.Johnstone is a business and that is BAD business financially speaking

2) St.Johnstone is a business that relies on reputation, that has shattered our reputation as as a club who can negotiate in the future

3) St.Johnstone is a business that relies(in part) in keeping paying customers happy, this has alienated and angered the customers

4) St.Johnstone is a business that operates in the entertainment business. How can selling your most exciting, talented player ever been seen as anything other than reducing the entertainment available for customers

It is a terrible, shocking situation no matter what way you try to paint it.

On 1 Business wise we have taken 2  boys and invested time and effort into them and received compensation of £1.8m rising to over £2m. financially good I would say. It wuld have been better getting £3 or 4 million but supply and demand and all that. 

The club relies more on getting young players in the door and turning them into successful sellable assets, in this respect the clubs reputation has been enhanced on two counts firstly they have successfully done it on these 2 players and secondly the fact that they have not stood in the players way. This will I think may well make the club more attractive to possible younger players.  

I think most customers are now satisfied when they read the statement and the facts that the Club have dealt with it in a professional manner. Granted you are still raging but a few good results and a rcracking performance form the new lads will take the edge off that. 

Depends on the entertainment taht comes along after. Fans are not daft theya ll know taht Saints are going to sell on the best players. That is what we are there for and that has provided a successful business model for lits of clubs in thee country. Look at the most successful club in the country in the last decade how many times have they brought players in as good young talent and sold them, on for millions. Has that resulted in them, being less entertaining or less of a box office draw. Nope they simply get someone else in , just like Saints will.

finally interesting to rad the Managers article where he talks about the sell on clauses in both deals being massive for the Club. Which appears to confirm the 25% that has been banded around. 

Edited by mainstand

7 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

That was important from CD, although you sense his disappointment. It is what it is.

Onwards! Well, we've got a guy to find players. He has time now, knows what we have, and haven't got for the future. January I imagine may be interesting, for once. 

I'd like clarification on whether the likes of McPherson & Devine have any option to buy. 

Time to create new legends. I wouldn't put it in the realms of improbable to see Max coming back around Christmas. He's a great player. 

No idea about gilmour, fingers crossed, same with Crawford. 

not sure about Devine but regarding Macpherson definitely option and probably PCA in January, I think he's done at St.Mirren and if you read between the lines of what his parent club are saying same with Crawford 

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Gilmour has been injured.

Is he injury prone as he has been on and off the bench this season without an appearance. Or if not why was he not on the bench for the league matches having been on the bench for European games if he is to fill McCann's boots

5 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Is he injury prone as he has been on and off the bench this season without an appearance. Or if not why was he not on the bench for the league matches having been on the bench for European games if he is to fill McCann's boots

Think he's had a recurring back injury since playing in Holland, which played a part in his release from Norwich.

Think the club are trying to be careful with it, so he maybe gets left out if he feels a twinge etc., long term being careful now should help.

38 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

I see Callum saying that Cammy MacPherson is the man he would have went for even if the McCann deal had happened earlier in the window. 

Suspect McMann would have the preferred choice in defence though 

I wonder if the fact he is only here on loan down to the late completion of the contract at Preston. It is interesting though that St Moirren are saying that they can recall him in January. Sky saying last night that the deal was completed with only 5 second of the transfer window to go.