Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

22 hours ago, Johnny B said:

Wow that is some conclusion. It is an opinion. After all CD has done for the club only a mad man would say CD must go

19 hours ago, Stumpy1966 said:

Once I’ve stopped laughing at your reply I might even answer it - on the other hand what’s the point. 

Keep it coming guys haven't laughed so much in weeks 

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

Is it the case that development fees wouldn't need to be paid for any of the English based players once their contracts are up?

I think so, and if it is then it should be minor amounts. Sure we got Drey Wright for nothing as it was cross border, and if he'd moved to another English club it would've been 6 figures?

MacPherson will cost money, if St Mirren offer him a new deal (which they likely will simply as they might get money), but I don't know how much. Would imagine it would be 6 figures as he's been there years and played a lot of games. Think you can negotiate these fees down if you include sell ons etc.

Edited by RandomGuy

Davidson saying that he might bring in some free transfers. It’s hard to see where we are needing players, as I think we might play with a different shape given our squad changes.

Perhaps someone on the right side as a Conway replacement, or is that where Vertainen will play?

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Davidson saying that he might bring in some free transfers. It’s hard to see where we are needing players, as I think we might play with a different shape given our squad changes.

Perhaps someone on the right side as a Conway replacement, or is that where Vertainen will play?

Maybe he is not happy with what he has seen of the loanees in training.

6 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Maybe he is not happy with what he has seen of the loanees in training.

Maybe, he talked about how great it was to have Vertainen join the squad & that Crawford will offer us something extra. I wonder if he’s looking to get one or two out on loan (Hendry, maybe Gilmour)?

9 minutes ago, Linky said:

Maybe, he talked about how great it was to have Vertainen join the squad & that Crawford will offer us something extra. I wonder if he’s looking to get one or two out on loan (Hendry, maybe Gilmour)?

Thats how I read it - plus it would be daft not to keep looking at the free transfer market in case we can unearth a bargain. Although the squad is stronger, we're still only a few injuries / covid cases away from being down to the bare bones again

Haven't been on here for a week or so. Was as angry as anyone about what went down on deadline night, but now that the dust has settled I feel Saints, on balance, made the best of a difficult situation. Part of me still feels we should have pressed PNE for a higher fee, but obviously there are lots of factors to take into consideration when doing that. I suppose that's why these clubs do their business so late, to cut down the window for negotiation and press the selling club into a quick decision - but Saints obviously still held a lot of the cards.

I'm sure everyone at the club will know that the number of loan players isn't ideal, but we were in an unusual predicament of having to bring in players so late in the day. On paper at least, I'd say that all three new loanees look like they could be positive signings for us. In terms of sheer quantity our squad also looks a lot healthier now and I actually feel we're a bit overloaded in some areas. There are a couple of players who I reckon will now struggle to get much game time, but we certainly have competition for places.

One thing on the "record transfer fee". The Callum Davidson figure is being widely quoted as £1.75m, but if add-ons are being taken into account with the McCann fee, then surely it's also only fair to recognise that there were add-ons with the Davidson deal too, which made the final fee higher than £1.75m. I can remember at one point hearing that the final sum was much closer to £2m, and 'Manifest Destiny' also talks about there being add-ons connected to international caps.

Unless there's a very, very good sell-on fee attached to the McCann deal and he goes on to leave Preston for a considerable sum (who's to know if that will ever actually happen), then I have to say I'm a little sceptical about whether Davidson's transfer record will actually be broken.

29 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

One thing on the "record transfer fee". The Callum Davidson figure is being widely quoted as £1.75m, but if add-ons are being taken into account with the McCann fee, then surely it's also only fair to recognise that there were add-ons with the Davidson deal too, which made the final fee higher than £1.75m. I can remember at one point hearing that the final sum was much closer to £2m, and 'Manifest Destiny' also talks about there being add-ons connected to international caps.

Unless there's a very, very good sell-on fee attached to the McCann deal and he goes on to leave Preston for a considerable sum (who's to know if that will ever actually happen), then I have to say I'm a little sceptical about whether Davidson's transfer record will actually be broken.

Agreed. There are a lot of "ifs,ands & maybes" with this deal. 

39 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

It's alright mate... I appreciate you're trying to remove emotion from the situation.

Removing emotion, whatever way you look at it, there's something still untold here. I'm not convinced by SB's PR release. On the surface it appeased, it was a smooth brush stroke. But, dig a little deeper and doubts surface.

It's actually contradictory.

Well, it happened. It's easy to say to saints fans "move on" (and clearly SB wants to), but this will rumble in the background for a long time. 

I will certainly move on by supporting the team. Always will. But there is certainly something uncomfortable in the explanation.

Edited by Melbourne Saint

Does Steve Brown still (as always) have an eye on his own means of escape from his position, and money in the bank will surely make St Johnstone a more desirable enterprise for anyone looking to take it on?  Assets who could get injured next week always seem to be second favourite to cash in the tin.

I dunno, it's easy to complain and whine, but the club has continued to be in a financially secure position despite the ever increasing gulf in money in professional football between the 'big clubs' and the also rans, and a worldwide pandemic that removed almost all income for the club, both on and off the park.  Even if he is looking after number 1, the outcome is still that we'll never be a Dundee/Rangers/Gretna etc. etc.

Looking forward to some more fixtures so we can get behind the team again.

Edited by montrosesaintee

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

It would be interesting to know what£1.75 million is in today's money.

26 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Interesting that Jason Kerr put out a statement after his transfer yet young Mr McCann has not.

Perhaps those apportioning blame for the deal should not only look at the Chairman's side of the table but at those across from him who benefited from the move.

Ali posted a nice tweet about the club.

29 minutes ago, Cagey said:

It would be interesting to know what£1.75 million is in today's money.

According to bankofengland.co.uk, £1.75m in 1998 would be worth around £3.1m today. Also bear in mind that at the time Davidson had made fewer senior appearances than McCann, and had no international caps.

4 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Perhaps those apportioning blame for the deal should not only look at the Chairman's side of the table but at those across from him who benefited from the move.

Thought that myself at the time but no one would be brave enough to criticise the player. We’d all do the same given the choice.