Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

1 hour ago, saintee in exile said:

Well he grabbed at the chance of playing international football even if it wasn't for his home nation

Smart move? Would he ever have been picked by dinosaurland? Maybe he was advised that his earnings potential would rise significantly.

Edited by andrew

1 hour ago, andrew said:

Smart move? Would he ever have been picked by dinosaurland? Maybe he was advised that his earnings potential would rise significantly.

Not while he played for Saints anyway.He was obviously a lot keener to progress in haste than people realised.Good luck to him but not sure that another year at Saints would have done him any harm Anyway its history now.Time to move on

CD has gone on record (a day ago, forget link), that he wants at least 2 of the loanees signed up in January & will put pressure on SB to make it so.

I get the feeling that this remark is a veiled swipe at SB given that CD also said that he's not happy with 6 loans. 

So, ulterior sentiment aside, I'd imagine that McPherson is one. I'd be surprised at Crawford- way too early. Dendoncker & Middleton, nope. I really feel he would like Devine. I can't see Man U standing in his way. I know some on here think otherwise, but he's one to watch. Muller? Wouldn't be surprised. With the season loan for these players, they'd have to really show something, otherwise we can go for a PCA, or straight transfer. 

14 hours ago, andrew said:

Thought that myself at the time but no one would be brave enough to criticise the player. We’d all do the same given the choice.

Don't really see what there is to criticise the player over. He's entitled to want to move, just as Saints would have been entitled to tell him he's welcome to move when a buyer meets our asking price.

I expect when our promising young players sign new deals they'll be assured that the club won't stand in their way of progressing if/when the right offer comes in. However, that shouldn't equate to Saints selling them at cut-price.

I can't help but feel that Saints have a bit of a reputation for selling players on the cheap, and that's why low bids come in for our players. Steve Brown saying publicly that we'd be looking for around £1.75 million probably didn't help. If McCann had been a Hibs player, they'd have been telling the media they want £5 million for him, and they'd probably have got it.

35 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Don't really see what there is to criticise the player over. He's entitled to want to move, just as Saints would have been entitled to tell him he's welcome to move when a buyer meets our asking price.

I expect when our promising young players sign new deals they'll be assured that the club won't stand in their way of progressing if/when the right offer comes in. However, that shouldn't equate to Saints selling them at cut-price.

I can't help but feel that Saints have a bit of a reputation for selling players on the cheap, and that's why low bids come in for our players. Steve Brown saying publicly that we'd be looking for around £1.75 million probably didn't help. If McCann had been a Hibs player, they'd have been telling the media they want £5 million for him, and they'd probably have got it.

100%

55 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

CD has gone on record (a day ago, forget link), that he wants at least 2 of the loanees signed up in January & will put pressure on SB to make it so.

I get the feeling that this remark is a veiled swipe at SB given that CD also said that he's not happy with 6 loans. 

So, ulterior sentiment aside, I'd imagine that McPherson is one. I'd be surprised at Crawford- way too early. Dendoncker & Middleton, nope. I really feel he would like Devine. I can't see Man U standing in his way. I know some on here think otherwise, but he's one to watch. Muller? Wouldn't be surprised. With the season loan for these players, they'd have to really show something, otherwise we can go for a PCA, or straight transfer. 

it will be Macpherson and Crawford in my opinion 

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Spot on, even though Saints won 2 cups we just arent viewed as a team that can provide players good enough for Scotland or players of monetary value.

Dont think selling McCann for as cheap as we did will help that cause. Scotlands loss is Northern Irelands gain with McCann as they seem to be happy with him, they called Davis the Master and McCann the apprentice the other night. A few good games and Celtics Ralston had potential call up meanwhile Kerr was probably no where near being considered for Scotland squad whilst he was at Saints. Zander seems to be the exception for Scotland but its quite hard to ignore after all the big televised saves he's made over the past year, if he hadnt been called up I think there would have been a lot questioning. Think Zander will go to Rangers eventually of he keeps up the good form.

Edited by Rob

3 hours ago, Linky said:

MacPherson and Crawford will be the ones. The others are too young to be allowed to go by their parent clubs I think.

Isn't Devine out of contract at the end of the season? Not sure what Muller's contract situation is but it seems to be the case that Millwall will want him back. I'd be very happy to see him stay here if not.

45 minutes ago, Rob said:

Spot on, even though Saints won 2 cups we just arent viewed as a team that can provide players good enough for Scotland or players of monetary value.

Dont think selling McCann for as cheap as we did will help that cause. Scotlands loss is Northern Irelands gain with McCann as they seem to be happy with him, they called Davis the Master and McCann the apprentice the other night. A few good games and Celtics Ralston had potential call up meanwhile Kerr was probably no where near being considered for Scotland squad whilst he was at Saints. Zander seems to be the exception for Scotland but its quite hard to ignore after all the big televised saves he's made over the past year, if he hadnt been called up I think there would have been a lot questioning. Think Zander will go to Rangers eventually of he keeps up the good form.

as it Stands they have McGregor  Mcglaulan mcCrorrie and Wright 

can't see it unless at least one of them move on

6 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Isn't Devine out of contract at the end of the season? Not sure what Muller's contract situation is but it seems to be the case that Millwall will want him back. I'd be very happy to see him stay here if not.

I think he might be, but I'm not sure clubs release players so young. They know 99% of their youth players won't make the grade, but it's a good source of income for them to keep them on the books and sell them off in their early 20s to lower league clubs. Also, just wondered if he'd be setting his sights a little higher.

1 hour ago, Saintdunc said:

Ok, in respect of Jason, when was the last time any player in League 1 played for Scotland?

I am well aware that Wigan are ambitious, targeting promotion to the next tier, but will that be high enough for Steve Clarke before the next squad is announced?

Not sure when the last time was, but he apparently wanted to call up Liam Palmer (currently a League One player) for the current squad.

That also means O'Donnell, Patterson, McGinn, Palmer and Ralston are all ahead of Rooney for the RWB slot in Clarke's estimations.

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

That's potentially 6 weeks or more out. Will we cut his loan deal short and bring in someone else perhaps?

Can’t bring anyone in outside the window that isn’t without a club. I doubt it, callum made it pretty clear that he wanted him in, and I suspect that’s a long term thing, not just a loan 

Edited by Pat McGroin

10 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Devine is out of contract at season's end. I'd imagine Man U will automatically offer him a contract, barring injury. It would depend on Devine and whether he felt being a Man U player would attract greater interest in him in future, or cut ties and go with Saints. No doubt CD will be "advising" him.

It's not outside the realms of possibility that he could come back next season on loan again.

59 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Why would they automatically offer him a contract? I’d imagine Man U burn through dozens of lads at his level and discard 95% of them.

Because apparently he is "highly regarded". Mind you, I suspect most youths are at Man U. A half decent season with us and I'd imagine he'll be offered a new contract.