Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

3 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Why was Ambrose released from Livi? Not good enough, or too expensive?

He looks 45 years old, but apparently is just 32!

My prediction: Get's injured and is released in January. 

Possibly chose to leave? Who knows. Livi have always been a shambles. 

He is liked at Hibs, Derby and Celtic. Also worth remembering just how young he was at Celtic. 

Bamba used to get the same “bombscare” treatment and he’s playing at a good level now. Seems like a lazy stereotype to me. 

5 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Possibly chose to leave? Who knows. Livi have always been a shambles. 

He is liked at Hibs, Derby and Celtic. Also worth remembering just how young he was at Celtic. 

Bamba used to get the same “bombscare” treatment and he’s playing at a good level now. Seems like a lazy stereotype to me. 

He is 32 - that's not a spring chicken. He looks older than his 32 years in the photo on the site.He's played for a number of clubs, and not had the consistancy of late. He has been without a club, so either not in demand or asking for too much money. It will be interesting to see if he can perform for us, but i don't expect much. We've signed players like this over the years, 6-8 game wonders.

5 hours ago, MySpazz said:

He is 32 - that's not a spring chicken. He looks older than his 32 years in the photo on the site.He's played for a number of clubs, and not had the consistancy of late. He has been without a club, so either not in demand or asking for too much money. It will be interesting to see if he can perform for us, but i don't expect much. We've signed players like this over the years, 6-8 game wonders.

We've also signed players of similar backgrounds who have gone on to do very well for us.

I'm not sure what level of player people were expecting Saints to sign, given that the transfer window has closed and we basically needed a back-up defender at very short notice. We've ended up bringing a guy in who has years of experience of Scottish football, including over 100 games for the best team in the country, and over 50 caps for Nigeria. That's not a bad CV. If he turns out to be terrible, he won't play much anyway. If he's great, that's fantastic for all of us. Give the guy a chance.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Incidentally - is it a one-year contract for Ambrose? Haven't seen the length of contract reported anywhere.

The fact that's it not been reported makes me think it might be until January, or pay-per-play.

I'm told that the reason he left Livi was that he struggled to play regular games fitness-wise. I imagine we will rotate that back three so will be less of a problem for us. If used well, I think he could be an asset. 

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Incidentally - is it a one-year contract for Ambrose? Haven't seen the length of contract reported anywhere.

Can anyone do a list of the over 30 years of age players who signed but played less than 10 games. 

Can't remember their names, but there was that Bulgarian, or was he Estonian or something, a defender....two seasons back, and plenty of others. I'd put Chris Iwelumo in that box, played six times, cup winner or not!

27 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Can anyone do a list of the over 30 years of age players who signed but played less than 10 games. 

Can't remember their names, but there was that Bulgarian, or was he Estonian or something, a defender....two seasons back, and plenty of others. I'd put Chris Iwelumo in that box, played six times, cup winner or not!

Estonian lad was only around 21-22 

Iwelumo was about 36!!

Edited by Pat McGroin

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Plamen Krachunov (Bulgarian) was 27 when he signed for us, Madis Vihmann (Estonian) was 23.

I honestly don't think we've signed a huge number of over 30s in recent years, but if you want to look at a list of all our signings there's a pretty good record here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/st-johnstone-fc/alletransfers/verein/2578

I see from that that Tristan Nydam was released by Ipswich. He was expected to be one of the great prospects down south at one point. Injuries since he left us have obviously taken their toll on his development.

Thought he was a tidy wee player in his short time here. We probably have too many midfielders now, but he would fit our profile you would think.

13 hours ago, MySpazz said:

i remember fans scoffing and sniggering at Rangers signing David Weir in his mid 30s or celtic fans when they signed lubo meravcik, both played on were stars and won their teams more than anyone could have imagined. 

Quite happy to give the boy a chance. As far as what he looks like I am not sure that is really relevant most of us go to watch them playing football not how they look but hey whatever floats your boat :laugh: 

15 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Look on the bright side you won’t be too disappointed when he fails. 

1 minute ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Why do some people right players off in early 30s

never understood it

we have had several  successful 30+ players 

Players that we've signed in their 30s? Players who signed and landed us in the top 6 of the top flight? Name some (I believe you, but would love to see some names)

50 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Players that we've signed in their 30s? Players who signed and landed us in the top 6 of the top flight? Name some (I believe you, but would love to see some names)

I mean, Bryson and Conway signed last Summer and we finished top 6 and won 2 trophies, both in their 30s and regularly played.