Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

When did Kilmarnock or St Mirren last pay over £100k on one player?

I don't know the answer to when Killie or Midden last paid UP TO 6 figures but I am sure if they wanted players of Rooney or McCarts quaility to save their season ,they would willingly pay £50 k to £100k.. Add Clark to that

Hopefully Saints wouldn't accept anything like that & we keep them for the season.

Better still , get them to sign a 2 year deal to stay with Saints to get back in Europe and win more cups.

I don't think anyone outside of the OF, Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen would pay £100k for a player. I don't think anyone would be interested in Kane. It takes a while to see his qualities, as most teams would look at goals. If he's out of contract, clubs might be interested, but I can see him staying for the rest of his career. McCart and Rooney are the key leavers.

12 minutes ago, Linky said:

I don't think anyone outside of the OF, Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen would pay £100k for a player. I don't think anyone would be interested in Kane. It takes a while to see his qualities, as most teams would look at goals. If he's out of contract, clubs might be interested, but I can see him staying for the rest of his career. McCart and Rooney are the key leavers.

Did we not pay £75 grand for McCart ?.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Was under £20k, which was less than we received for Matty Kennedy in the same window.

Will bow your superior knowledge which is not always right.. So £20000 for an untried championship player.

So what do you think a premiership left sided centre back , with 18 months exprriance & 2 cups ,praised by every pundit in Scotland is worth.

Bad enough chairman selling our team short but surely not the fans.

It's interesting, given our success over the past decade, that no club out with the OF has been more successful. No club has had a decent run in Europe. So players can't say "it's a step up in my career"- in Scotland at least. English Championship is a step up, but it's a nightmare in that league to be promoted. What does make the difference is £££. 

I can't blame McCart signing for anyone if his wages are going to be significantly higher. He's been terrific for us & good around the club. I do hope he goes down south though.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. He seems to be a centre midfielder which is a position we have quite a few options for. What is our connection with the Israeli league? First Melamed and then this guy. I know Celtic have successfully scouted the league in the past (not least with Ambrose).

17 hours ago, Linky said:

What is our connection with the Israeli league? First Melamed and then this guy.

We probably have a connection with certain agents that cover that league. They're just doing their job, sending vids, organising trials. After Eetu, I'm not holding my breath on immigration getting this sorted quickly. Mind you, at least we're applying early. 

19 hours ago, blueheaven said:

This appears to be his showreel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6M-cepCxVE

Always love the horrendous music on these things.

Reminds me a bit of Billy Gilmour's style & positioning. But hey, we've seen it all before and every player looks like they are world class. 

20 hours ago, Linky said:

Interesting. He seems to be a centre midfielder which is a position we have quite a few options for. What is our connection with the Israeli league? First Melamed and then this guy. I know Celtic have successfully scouted the league in the past (not least with Ambrose).

It is probably more to do with an agent than scouting the league.

15 hours ago, Rob said:

He's had 10 mins game time. 2 perfect opportunities in recent weeks when we were 3-0 up or 3-0 down to get more. If he cant get in time in either of those then obviously not a fit for Saints for some reason.

I'm not sure that tells the full story of those games. When we were 3-0 up against Dundee they started coming back into the game so we made a defensive sub instead of an attacking one. In the Livingston game we lost two centre-backs and a wing-back to injury so again we had to make defensive subs. In other circumstances I think we probably would have seen him get a chance in at least one of those games.