Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

24 minutes ago, Linky said:

Really? By the end of next season, Conway will be 37. He has been a fine stop-gap in a difficult season, but his time is up. These 3 players should be in their way out.

I can't really believe that these 3 are his main priorities over, say Melamed, Kane and & Booth. Where did you get this from?

The never ending fountain of secret Random intel.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, Tranmere Saintee said:

Injury prone, very inconsistent and slagged off Saints when he left, simply not of the standard we need or want. The fact that Utd are trying to offload him says it all.

Utd apparently in contract talks now with Pawlett - sounds to me like an agent trying to drum up interest from other clubs to get Utd to speed up their offer?

Time for Callum to stop wasting time trying to sign the squad players that have proved they are not good enough.

Hopefully he has 2 wingbacks 2 midfielders & 2 strikers on his radar.

Almost forgot,decent keeper & not just a stopgap like Parish.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

Hopefully he has 2 wingbacks 2 midfielders & 2 strikers on his radar.

Almost forgot,decent keeper & not just a stopgap like Parish.

First we need another for competition in our back 3, if one gets injured or suspended we will not resort to a back 4, so cover in there is essential, not he can do a job in there, someone who is an out and out centre back just like the 3 we have.

All we are missing is a big athletic striker who is good in the air and can shoot somewhere inside the goalposts. Suppose every team is.

Our goal scoring at home is very poor.

Just think how many more points we could have had if only we took some of the chances we have not taken.

Overall we have had a great season so well done.

Just to give my suggestion (& see everyone else shoot them down). This is bearing in mind we'll probably have to cut the budget once again:

OUT

MOH, Conway, Parish, Tanser (sadly), Bryson, Melamed (unfortunately I think he'll be gone)

IN

Hendry back - I'd be happy enough with him, Kane and May as the three strikers.

Middleton (another season-loan. I think he's done well enough to warrant another chance, but I doubt Rangers will want to keep him, or anyone else will be interested). I doubt this costs us much.

Replacements for Conway & MOH - Niall McGinn & Connor McLennan are out of contract this Summer. If not, how is Jordan Jones getting on at Sunderland? Are they likely to make that permanent? Will Hibs want to sign Jamie Murphy after their loan?

3 young defenders who can cover left-back, right-back and centre-back between them. These need to be players for the future, who can step in when our main defenders are injured.

Replacement for Bryson - Liam Polworth out of contract this Summer

GK - If Hamilton go down, Ryan Fulton has always looked ok for them, but I don't know about his stats.

25 minutes ago, Linky said:

Just to give my suggestion (& see everyone else shoot them down). This is bearing in mind we'll probably have to cut the budget once again:

OUT

MOH, Conway, Parish, Tanser (sadly), Bryson, Melamed (unfortunately I think he'll be gone)

IN

Hendry back - I'd be happy enough with him, Kane and May as the three strikers.

Middleton (another season-loan. I think he's done well enough to warrant another chance, but I doubt Rangers will want to keep him, or anyone else will be interested). I doubt this costs us much.

Replacements for Conway & MOH - Niall McGinn & Connor McLennan are out of contract this Summer. If not, how is Jordan Jones getting on at Sunderland? Are they likely to make that permanent? Will Hibs want to sign Jamie Murphy after their loan?

3 young defenders who can cover left-back, right-back and centre-back between them. These need to be players for the future, who can step in when our main defenders are injured.

Replacement for Bryson - Liam Polworth out of contract this Summer

GK - If Hamilton go down, Ryan Fulton has always looked ok for them, but I don't know about his stats.

Personally wouldn't want most of them we couldn't afford Murphy or Jones

There are a few in Scottish Championship I'll do some research on checking names again that I wouldn't much rather see us trying to sign 

15 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Personally wouldn't want most of them we couldn't afford Murphy or Jones

There are a few in Scottish Championship I'll do some research on checking names again that I wouldn't much rather see us trying to sign 

Have to say, I don't keep a close eye on the Championship, so just going on Premier players who might be decent. It is a big step up though, we've done well with Rooney & McCart, but it won't always be that successful.

14 minutes ago, Linky said:

Have to say, I don't keep a close eye on the Championship, so just going on Premier players who might be decent. It is a big step up though, we've done well with Rooney & McCart, but it won't always be that successful.

Ok here goes 

Now I have no idea of contract situations but watch a lot of Championship games on Fridays and those players have stood out for me ,are the right age and I think could step up in position we need to fill

Basically a raid on Inverness and Raith Rovers with some others

1/Daniel Mackay

Winger 

ICT

2/Nikolay Todorov 

Forward

IT

3/Cameron Harper 

Winger

ICT

4/Regan Tumilty 

Right Back 

Raith Rovers 

5/Daniel Armstrong 

Winger

Raith Rovers 

6/Regan Hendry

Midfield

Raith Rovers 

6/Lewis Vaughan

Forward

Raith Rovers 

7/Kai Kennedy 

Left Wing

Raith Rovers on loan from Rangers 

8 LukeMcGowan 

Midfielder 

42 games 10 goals 

Ayr Utd

9 /Conor Shields 

Forward 

Queen Of The South 

Throw in as cover and challenge first team keeper

Owan Fon Williams 

Goal 

ICT

2 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Ok here goes 

Now I have no idea of contract situations but watch a lot of Championship games on Fridays and those players have stood out for me ,are the right age and I think could step up in position we need to fill

Basically a raid on Inverness and Raith Rovers with some others

1/Daniel Mackay

Winger 

ICT

2/Nikolay Todorov 

Forward

IT

3/Cameron Harper 

Winger

ICT

4/Regan Tumilty 

Right Back 

Raith Rovers 

5/Daniel Armstrong 

Winger

Raith Rovers 

6/Regan Hendry

Midfield

Raith Rovers 

6/Lewis Vaughan

Forward

Raith Rovers 

7/Kai Kennedy 

Left Wing

Raith Rovers on loan from Rangers 

8 LukeMcGowan 

Midfielder 

42 games 10 goals 

Ayr Utd

9 /Conor Shields 

Forward 

Queen Of The South 

Throw in as cover and challenge first team keeper

Owan Fon Williams 

Goal 

ICT

I would like to think we are at Least looking at most of them

We were credited with an interest in Conor Shields earlier in the season, so I'd be surprised if we weren't still eyeing him up. He's the Championship striker I'd be most excited about, I reckon.

Not sure about Linky saying he'd be happy to run with Kane, May and Hendry. Our season only turned around when Melamed got a run of games and we switched to two up front. It would be quite baffling if CD was happy with those three strikers after what we saw in the first few months of the season. I'm sure he'll actively be looking at players who are more suitable for the striker role in his favoured 5-2-3/3-4-3 formation.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, Templar Saint said:

Needing a goal scorer - take a punt on Todorov at Inverness Caley.

I think he is the kind of player we need to give us a bit of variation. Tall,good in the air & good hold up player.

Trouble is he seems to have been loaned out every 6 months for the last 5 of 6 seasons.

May be that the loans were because he was a young guy. Could be he is just reaching maturity as a player.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

I think he is the kind of player we need to give us a bit of variation. Tall,good in the air & good hold up player.

Trouble is he seems to have been loaned out every 6 months for the last 5 of 6 seasons.

May be that the loans were because he was a young guy. Could be he is just reaching maturity as a player.

Todorov is an interesting one... He seems to have been around for ages.... can't believe he's 24. Not seen him, but from descriptions here that he's "good hold up player", to me, puts him in the Kane role. I think we need a striker with genuine pace and/ or skill who gets into good positions.

As for the list, no problem with championship players, as long as they're young, confident and seeking to constantly improve.

Problem is, raiding Raith & ICT (along with 5 or so Premier clubs) will no doubt turn into a bidding war & those clubs will demand top £££ for their best talent. If Saints can strike early on 2 key targets, that'll keep me happy.

I haven't seen much of the Scottish Championship so can't really comment on the above players, although they do seem to be the names who generally crop up as doing well whenever I listen to Sportsound.

I suspect we may see Callum looking further afield during the summer. He's already done well in bringing in McNamara from down south and Melamed from abroad, and we know he has a good number of contacts in England, so I'd think we may see similar moves. 

I'd actually quite like to see us looking at the National League in England - their set-up's in absolute disarray down there at the moment and that may present an opportunity to lure a few of the better players up north. Quite a few of the stand-out players from that level have moved up the ladder and done well for themselves in recent seasons.

19 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Not sure about Linky saying he'd be happy to run with Kane, May and Hendry. Our season only turned around when Melamed got a run of games and we switched to two up front. It would be quite baffling if CD was happy with those three strikers after what we saw in the first few months of the season. I'm sure he'll actively be looking at players who are more suitable for the striker role in his favoured 5-2-3/3-4-3 formation.

What I really mean is: getting Melamed was pure luck. I'm not sure we'd have the budget for a striker better than those 3. If we do, it'd be someone like Lafferty who I think may disrupt the squad. Part of the reason we're doing well, I think, is that we have a squad of great professionals who work hard for the team. One player can ruin that.

25 minutes ago, Linky said:

What I really mean is: getting Melamed was pure luck. I'm not sure we'd have the budget for a striker better than those 3. If we do, it'd be someone like Lafferty who I think may disrupt the squad. Part of the reason we're doing well, I think, is that we have a squad of great professionals who work hard for the team. One player can ruin that.

So you want to retain 3 non-scoring strikers for a squad that desperately needs a new goal scorer because a new player might upset some folk. If the squad is as strong as you think it is, one player with a bad attitude isn't going to disrupt anything, if anything it would be the opposite way round. 

If there are saints fans who're happy with Kane, Hendry and May as our only strikers next season, then you'd be as well saying you're happy with us not scoring goals. 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

So you want to retain 3 non-scoring strikers for a squad that desperately needs a new goal scorer because a new player might upset some folk. If the squad is as strong as you think it is, one player with a bad attitude isn't going to disrupt anything, if anything it would be the opposite way round. 

If there are saints fans who're happy with Kane, Hendry and May as our only strikers next season, then you'd be as well saying you're happy with us not scoring goals. 

I’d love us to sign a striker who can get double figures every season & we can sell onwards for £££. Unlikely though with our budget. If we let May go, who would we honestly be looking to replace him with that we could afford?

Aberdeen will be looking for 3 new permanent strikers, Hibs perhaps for 2 if Nisbet goes, Motherwell for 3 perhaps as many of their strikers are out of contract, etc. etc. What’s your plan in terms of competing with them for the likes of Greg Stewart, or anyone else who is willing to come to the league and score more than a few goals a season.

Bear in mind we usually only play with 1 striker, and we will potentially have 3 for next season already anyway.