Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

15 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Middleton stated he wanted to spend next season at Rangers

I find this strange. Middleton has shown potential, but if he hasn't established himself as a first-team regular here, how can he expect to even be on the bench at Rangers?

On 5/10/2021 at 2:41 PM, Johnny B said:

"On-loan Rangers winger Glenn Middleton, who set up St Johnstone's opening goal and scored their second as a substitute in Sunday's Scottish Cup semi-final win over St Mirren, hopes his experience in Perth helps him next season at Ibrox, where the 21-year-old has two years remaining of his contract. (The Herald)"

Sounds like he does not want to go out on loan next season but stay and fight for a place. 

We could get a repeat of this year, first half of the season, he tries and fails then loaned out in January.

Edited by Johnny B

1 hour ago, Linky said:

I find this strange. Middleton has shown potential, but if he hasn't established himself as a first-team regular here, how can he expect to even be on the bench at Rangers?

Yeah he should just give up and when directly asked about his Rangers future should just tell everyone he doesn't think he's nearly good enough.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

2 years. Callum must rate him. Not seen much of him & thought he would justify a 1 year contract to see what he was like.

Extended contracts for McCart,Gordon & Kerr now please.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Middleton also said in another interview that he'd be keen to return to Saints. I really wouldn't read much into these interviews. He's being simultaneously asked about two clubs and he'll obviously want to give a positive response about both of them.

A good performance tomorrow could change many things....

17 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Yeah he should just give up and when directly asked about his Rangers future should just tell everyone he doesn't think he's nearly good enough.

Or....he could say "I've really enjoyed my time at Saints and I realise that my game time at Rangers would be limited in the future, so I'm hoping to stay if I can'. It seems that he has actually said pretty much this in another interview though.

I wonder what will happen with Callum Hendry. When he left to go out on loan (to bigger and better things) we were languishing near the bottom of the league. Fast forward a few months and all of his team mates now have 2 winners medals and secured European football.

I still think he can do a job for us and our style of play would suit him better now. I think he can do a job for us but whether he wants away though might be another matter.

Apparently Regan Henry going to Hibs.

With the re_signing of old boys Craig,Davidson & Bryson there isn't much room to bring in another midfielder unless we lose McCann which is a distinct possibility. Would think Ballentyne would be a squad player but would like us to go for Turner as an optio of young legs to cover midfield.

Just now, Jenko82 said:

I wonder what will happen with Callum Hendry. When he left to go out on loan (to bigger and better things) we were languishing near the bottom of the league. Fast forward a few months and all of his team mates now have 2 winners medals and secured European football.

I still think he can do a job for us and our style of play would suit him better now. I think he can do a job for us but whether he wants away though might be another matter.

Depends on what Callum thinks & the reason he was allowed to go.

If he wants to be here his stint at Aberdeen may have done him good.

6 minutes ago, Jenko82 said:

I'd really like to see Hendry brought back into the fold, especially if Melamed doesn't stick around. I think he still has a lot to offer us, and he has the workrate to fit in with the way we play. I read CD saying in an interview not long ago that there would be more of an opportunity for him if he was here now, as our system has changed since he left.

Interesting to see who Davidson will look to sign. Last season it felt like we were filling gaps in the squad as quick as possible, under pressure. He now has much more time, scope and money.

The squad seems very unbalanced at the moment though. I’ve warmed to Bryson, but I’m surprised he was given another contract. Either we’re going to have a season with 4 players competing to play alongside McCann, or they’re expecting him to leave. Perhaps Gilmour was brought in as a long term replacement?

29 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Motherwell releasing 23 players. Some youths & some loanees  but sure the majority squad players.

Cue Random wanting us to go for Polworth again.

A lot of teams are having a big clear out. I imagine this will partly be down to COVID and cutting cloth to suit and lowering wage bills. Our squad is tiny in comparison to others but I have been really surprised that it was only the Celtic COVID game where we looked absolutely thread bare.

No too many players out there I would be clambering for so far. I trust Callum to know what he needs in.

The only player worth having from the list released from Motherwell is Polworth, and we don’t need anyone in that position. Christopher Long has occasionally showed snatches of a good player, but most of the time doesn’t look bothered.

Would be disappointed if Middleton went to Aberdeen. Good player & good attitude. Not sure about Kiltie coming in. I’ve never been hugely impressed, but he’s still young.