Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

8 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I hope we didn't bother replying if that is true.

Report just says its "short of our valuation".

7 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

These offers are insane.....are we still looked at as a club that will bite your hand off for any cheeky offer? Are we?

I'd imagine Kerr, McCart, and Rooney will all leave for nothing next Summer, so hard decision on whether you take money this Summer or accept you'll lose them for nothing in 12 months. No issue at all with other clubs chancing their arm with a low offer in the hope we're desperate to recoup some money, it's what I wish we'd do more to those further down the ladder.

You can't force them to sign new deals, and they'll be well aware there's interested clubs down South who multiply our best offer.

I think it makes sense that clubs with an interest in our players would start off with low offers to see where it gets them. With players like Rooney, Kerr and McCann - if we end up losing all three then that's going to be of massive detriment to our team for next season, regardless of how much money we get for them. The club needs to be very wary of that.

Very excited about the prospect of Middleton coming back. I reckon he could be a future Scotland player (as long as he doesn't spend too much time at Saints, of course).

I don’t know whether or not to read anything into the fact that we have announced the award of contracts to our youngsters and 19 year old starlet, Max, following on from the extensions awarded to  certain 1st team players, and silence about those who are being sought?

10 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

These offers are insane.....are we still looked at as a club that will bite your hand off for any cheeky offer? Are we?

I think the problem is that we probably are. Nothing in our previous transfer dealings would suggest otherwise. Now would be a good time for Steve Brown to re iterate when he said a couple of weeks ago about McCann transfer needing to break the record for Saints. If club came out publically and said Kerr, Rooney and McCart not for sale (all players are)  then clubs will know Saints will need good offers to do business. The £200k figure may have come from no where and they are testing water or potentially agents know ballpark what saints would accept and it is a low ball but not multiples off to start the process. Realistically, what value is Rooney? Last year of his contract for a player who 6 months ago if we had released, no one would have noticed? Equally, club legend, improving all the time and still young?

Edited by TheYellowBox

49 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Realistically, what value is Rooney? Last year of his contract for a player who 6 months ago if we had released, no one would have noticed? Equally, club legend, improving all the time and still young?

Also a player who has said he wants to stay at Saints for life, even if in jest. Transfers have to work for more than just the one stumping up the cash.

Edited by garydavidson

Rooney has only played effectively 6 months of top flight football, and is only 24. He’s also had quite a few clubs and needs to settle somewhere for a little while. If he has any sense he’ll sign a new deal with us, with a transfer feebid clause kicking in next summer, play a full season in top flight, and potentially get a bigger move than Rotherham. 

Kerr, being a couple of years older, is the one I worry about losing the most this summer. His stock will never be so high and I think he’ll get offers down south too good to turn down. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Report just says its "short of our valuation".

I'd imagine Kerr, McCart, and Rooney will all leave for nothing next Summer, so hard decision on whether you take money this Summer or accept you'll lose them for nothing in 12 months. No issue at all with other clubs chancing their arm with a low offer in the hope we're desperate to recoup some money, it's what I wish we'd do more to those further down the ladder.

You can't force them to sign new deals, and they'll be well aware there's interested clubs down South who multiply our best offer.

How depressing :(

6 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Unless a really significant offer comes in that the club just can't turn down, I'd prefer to see us have the benefit of those players in our team for another season, even if it means they leave for nothing at the end of it. Hypothetically, if Rooney (for example) scores the goal that gets us into a European group stage, that's going to be of a lot more value to the club than a £200,000 offer from Rotherham. 

That last week before the transfer window closes could be a really interesting one for Saints, as at that point we'll know whether we've made it into a group stage or not.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd imagine Kerr, McCart, and Rooney will all leave for nothing next Summer, so hard decision on whether you take money this Summer or accept you'll lose them for nothing in 12 months.

Offer them a contract if the decline we need to sell to highest bidder or we will get nothing. They may not want to go or sign a new contract as they get a larger singing on fee if there is no transfer fee

We are caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea

10 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Is there a less glamorous club than bloody Rotherham? 

We are self insulated. South Yorkshire English Division 1. Stadium capacity 12.000 average gate between  8000 and 9000 and a bigger salary that seems attractive to me if I was trying to make myself financially secure. That will certainly not happen with us.

Yes there are bigger clubs out there he may get a choice then he may not

Just now, Johnny B said:

We are self insulated. South Yorkshire English Division 1. Stadium capacity 12.000 average gate between  8000 and 9000 and a bigger salary that seems attractive to me if I was trying to make myself financially secure. That will certainly not happen with us.

I kind of disagree. Yes the wage would be bigger..but!Is it garunteed every month?A smaller wage is here  but not so sure it is at Rotherham 

53 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

I think the reality is that there is so much more money down the leagues in England due to the trickle down of EPL money, either through parachute payments, player transfers or subsidy payments. Throw in lower league tv deals that dwarf a lot of countries and a club like Rotherham can have a pretty decent budget. Obviously the big attraction is the EPL and the potential riches that are there. On paper, playing league 1 in England excluding the finances may not appeal to players, but Rooney could do well at Rotherham, get a move to a top half championship team and find himself in the EPL in 2 years.

On the attendances, stick Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in those league and their attendances would shoot up. Also, while we look at lower league English clubs as being small, a lot of them come from cities that are much bigger than some of Scotland biggest cities. Rotherham for example is about the size of Dundee with a district of around quarter of a million. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

1 hour ago, TheYellowBox said:

I think the reality is that there is so much more money down the leagues in England due to the trickle down of EPL money, either through parachute payments, player transfers or subsidy payments. Throw in lower league tv deals that dwarf a lot of countries and a club like Rotherham can have a pretty decent budget. Obviously the big attraction is the EPL and the potential riches that are there. On paper, playing league 1 in England excluding the finances may not appeal to players, but Rooney could do well at Rotherham, get a move to a top half championship team and find himself in the EPL in 2 years.

On the attendances, stick Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in those league and their attendances would shoot up. Also, while we look at lower league English clubs as being small, a lot of them come from cities that are much bigger than some of Scotland biggest cities. Rotherham for example is about the size of Dundee with a district of around quarter of a million. 

Rooney is a decent player but he is never making it in the EPL. 

1 hour ago, Pat McGroin said:

Rooney is a decent player but he is never making it in the EPL. 

Agree, not saying he would, but any player would look at the potential route. That is why Scottish clubs keep loosing players to that level when on paper it doesnt seem an attractive direct move. Ryan Fraser and John Fleck would be the most recent examples of going to league 1 and ending up.in EPL.

I assume this loan is back up for the centre backs and - if so - looks to be a good thing. If Middleton comes in, and cover for left-back, then I'd be pretty happy with the squad (assuming Brown has already signed). The only questions would then be around who is leaving.

13 hours ago, Linky said:

I assume this loan is back up for the centre backs and - if so - looks to be a good thing. If Middleton comes in, and cover for left-back, then I'd be pretty happy with the squad (assuming Brown has already signed). The only questions would then be around who is leaving.

It would be very handy if Kucheriavyi is left-sided.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Middleton still training with Rangers and no decision made on his future yet, unlikely anything will happen until hes done pre-season with Rangers.

Just read that too. So either the Record's report is talking bollocks or The Sun's report was.