Saints Summer Transfers 2021

Melbourne Saint

1 minute ago, Johnny B said:

Cedric Itten has joined Bundesliga side Greuther Furth on a season-long loan. Another one to cross of my list

What list was that exactly?

The one where saints take a player on £10K+ a week on loan from a club where we already have a loan player from and therefore can't have another. That list?

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

What list was that exactly?

The one where saints take a player on £10K+ a week on loan from a club where we already have a loan player from and therefore can't have another. That list?

Sorry I should have put a smiley face at the end it is sarcasm. I said my list

28 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Griffiths probably costing very little Celtic wanted him out the door Their fans were booing him when he got the ball. Dundee got their cut in the first transfer Celtic get this one

Was he not still a Celtic player on loan & Dnndee could get a sell on fee.

6 minutes ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

That's cheap

As I said on the other forum.

Don't think that's a bad deal actually. Most will look at it as we're losing our captain for £500k, but with less than a year left on his deal, clearly no intention of signing on again and the fact that according to the report the deal could rise, it suggest we've got some decent incentives put into the deal, which hopefully include at least 10% sell on clause.

Realistically, that's a lot of money for saints for a player with 10 months on his contract and who's the easiest of the 3 to replace. You're not selling him at a flat rate, you're taking the chance that he's going to improve and show people he's better than League 1 and hence you make sure you get a slice of the fee the next time he moves, etc. He moves for £10mil in 2 years time, you've earned yourself the half million twice over again. I'd say that and performance based clauses are more valuable than the money up front, I'd even go as far to say a lesser amount for more clauses is a better deal.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

As I said on the other forum.

Don't think that's a bad deal actually. Most will look at it as we're losing our captain for £500k, but with less than a year left on his deal, clearly no intention of signing on again and the fact that according to the report the deal could rise, it suggest we've got some decent incentives put into the deal, which hopefully include at least 10% sell on clause.

Realistically, that's a lot of money for saints for a player with 10 months on his contract and who's the easiest of the 3 to replace. You're not selling him at a flat rate, you're taking the chance that he's going to improve and show people he's better than League 1 and hence you make sure you get a slice of the fee the next time he moves, etc. He moves for £10mil in 2 years time, you've earned yourself the half million twice over again. I'd say that and performance based clauses are more valuable than the money up front, I'd even go as far to say a lesser amount for more clauses is a better deal.

That all assumes it goes well.

1 minute ago, Cagey said:

Would think he would want to sign for the team he supports & not a team on the wane.

Wigan have a brand new owner who's pulling the club in the right direction again who're seriously going for promotion. The notion that Wigan are a team in admin, who aren't very good is total nonsense. They're looking to bounce back as quickly as possible.

1 minute ago, garydavidson said:

That all assumes it goes well.

Nobody knows until it happens; however he's been at saints for almost 10 years and has progressed to become a double cup winning captain in that time, I think you've got to be brave and assume or even expect that he'll go on to have a fantastic career at a level far higher than saints (or potentially even Wigan). For me it's 100% worth the incentivised risk. 

2 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

He moves for £10mil in 2 years time,

If he was potentially a £10mil player there would be bigger and better bids on the table. Like all the others he will come back with his tail between his legs in a couple of years. The only benefit from this move is the money but I do not blame him for moving the grass is always greener on the other side. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

If he was potentially a £10mil player there would be bigger and better bids on the table. Like all the others he will come back with his tail between his legs in a couple of years. The only benefit from this move is the money but I do not blame him for moving the grass is always greener on the other side. 

Seriously negative. ONE good season in England and he’ll move for that money. Bearing in mind Bournemouth we’re sniffing around earlier this summer. He’s served his apprenticeship here and shown us loyalty, not done a May and jumped ship after 1 season. 

1 minute ago, Pat McGroin said:

Seriously negative. ONE good season in England and he’ll move for that money.

Not negative I do think he is good enough to make it in the Championship but only time will tell.

Yes he has serve us well and deserves the financial move I do not begrudge him that,

Wigan finished last season with 5 players so story could be true. Apparently looking for a centre back & right back.

English  window shuts at 11 pm so gives us an hour to find a replacement.  Did the Arbroath centre half not have a good game against us ?

5 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Who said he was a 10million pound player, he's quite clearly not. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to be one given the hyper inflated English market and the broader access to coaching and exposure he'll get. You're doing this current squad a massive disservice by writing them off the minute they leave, yet you'd be the first to say how brilliant they are if they stay. St Johnstone football club should not be the pinnacle of every young players career, they should always strive to achieve the most they can for themselves. If anything we should be encouraging all these guys who come through the youth system to push themselves and make a name for themselves and to be honest I wouldn't want anyone playing for us who doesn't think they cannot achieve more.

I have no doubt Jason Kerr will go on to have a fantastic career down south or wherever it takes him, he'll earn excellent money and get the chance to test himself against even better players. So I wish him luck, thank him for all he's done and I'd say to Wigan, enjoy whilst you can he, much like McCann can go all the way to the top of he keeps improving and learning. 

13 minutes ago, Widge said:

Nobody knows until it happens; however he's been at saints for almost 10 years and has progressed to become a double cup winning captain in that time, I think you've got to be brave and assume or even expect that he'll go on to have a fantastic career at a level far higher than saints (or potentially even Wigan). For me it's 100% worth the incentivised risk. 

There is no doubt the Scotland call up will come through as the ink dries on the new contract :laugh: