NEW ARTICLE: Cup double is vindication for everything St Johnstone have done in the last 20 years

Jamie_Beatson

1 minute ago, slf said:

Braw article chief apart from one part.

yep it was soul wrecking at Ham and what a crowd we took there.

never bothered that Gretna fairly won last gasp  because we were not ready .it was the next season that set us up.

or maybe this setback was the real springboard .

Braw!

I think our big 'what might have been' of the modern era is that we'll never know how that Saints team, who missed out on that day at Hamilton, might have done in the SPL. From memory, there were already some early signs of the wheels starting to come off for Gretna, both on and off the pitch. Saints on the other hand were on the ascendency - we'd had some great results against SPL sides in the cups and Coyle had put together a strong squad who had loads of heart and played some great attacking football. I'd have loved to have been able to see how that team could have done if we'd gone up and kept the bulk of the squad together for another year. At the time we had players like Stanic, Sheerin, Hardie, Sheridan, Savo, Peaso, Morais, Mensing and of course Jason Scotland all hitting their peaks, plus guys like Ando and Kevin James at the back. I really think that team could have been a revelation in the Premier League.

As it happened that squad seemed to fall apart fairly quickly after that day at Hamilton and the next season was pretty poor. I remember going to a game at Clyde during that next season and seeing that we had John Stewart and Dyron Daal up front, and just wondering what had happened to our brilliant team of a few months earlier. I don't think Coyle knew how to re-build and turn things around at that point and I actually think he was close to being on a shaky peg had Burnley not come in for him when they did.

Of course all's well that ends well and we got there in the end under Del, but I think we could have enjoyed a helluva season had it happened for Coyle.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:45 PM, blueheaven said:

I think our big 'what might have been' of the modern era is that we'll never know how that Saints team, who missed out on that day at Hamilton, might have done in the SPL. From memory, there were already some early signs of the wheels starting to come off for Gretna, both on and off the pitch. Saints on the other hand were on the ascendency - we'd had some great results against SPL sides in the cups and Coyle had put together a strong squad who had loads of heart and played some great attacking football. I'd have loved to have been able to see how that team could have done if we'd gone up and kept the bulk of the squad together for another year. At the time we had players like Stanic, Sheerin, Hardie, Sheridan, Savo, Peaso, Morais, Mensing and of course Jason Scotland all hitting their peaks, plus guys like Ando and Kevin James at the back. I really think that team could have been a revelation in the Premier League.

As it happened that squad seemed to fall apart fairly quickly after that day at Hamilton and the next season was pretty poor. I remember going to a game at Clyde during that next season and seeing that we had John Stewart and Dyron Daal up front, and just wondering what had happened to our brilliant team of a few months earlier. I don't think Coyle knew how to re-build and turn things around at that point and I actually think he was close to being on a shaky peg had Burnley not come in for him when they did.

Of course all's well that ends well and we got there in the end under Del, but I think we could have enjoyed a helluva season had it happened for Coyle.

Del's available. Suntans all round. & ice baths.

19 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Shifty now playing in Turkey, Rolls Royce of a player but deeply flawed. 

You've seriously got to change your "name" mate. Just "Arab in search of a cup ... Of water" or something. Ciftçi.... Can you imagine if MacLean was manager??? He'd be hanging from the floodlights! Shifty was excellent, but repudibly a fan of non legal substances. I wouldn't refer to him as a "rollls Royce" either. They work very well. Their owners may not.... He's a train wreck mentally. Great player tho'....

• 2 weeks later...

An article by Brian Marjoribanks in national newspaper on 02/03/2021 with a near 10 year SPL league table from August 2011 to the date of the report as follows

celtic                        865  points

aberdeen                 612

ST JOHNSTONE     493

motherwell              490

rangers                     437

kilmarnock              431

hearts                      349

hibernian                 329

ross county            312

inverness                295

dundee united        281

st mirren                 250

hamilton                 247

dundee                   219

partick thistle        170

livingston               123        

dunfermline             25

12 minutes ago, Fifties muirton park said:

An article by Brian Marjoribanks in national newspaper on 02/03/2021 with a near 10 year SPL league table from August 2011 to the date of the report as follows

celtic                        865  points

aberdeen                 612

ST JOHNSTONE     493

motherwell              490

rangers                     437

kilmarnock              431

hearts                      349

hibernian                 329

ross county            312

inverness                295

dundee united        281

st mirren                 250

hamilton                 247

dundee                   219

partick thistle        170

livingston               123        

dunfermline             25

Not surprised to see us sitting third, but the gulf in points between us and some traditionally bigger clubs is really quite eye-opening. We have around 150 points more than both Hearts and Hibs, 200 points more than Dundee United. That's a lot of extra wins.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Not surprised to see us sitting third, but the gulf in points between us and some traditionally bigger clubs is really quite eye-opening. We have around 150 points more than both Hearts and Hibs, 200 points more than Dundee United. That's a lot of extra wins.

I think the gulf in points is because the others have been relegated and spent time in the championship. Motherwell like us have not and we are 3 points ahead of them

• 1 month later...