B teams again

Tranmere Saintee

As usual the annual ‘Let’s increase the size of the second division to allow the Glasgow bum cheeks to field ‘b’ teams has raised it head again. I have yet to meets a fan of any other team who thinks this is a good idea and yet Callum has come out in support of it why I find frightening.

You will get all the tosh about the money it will bring in for the smaller teams which has been shown to be utter nonsense with their B teams in the cup ties resulting in some clubs lowest gates of the year.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

Other clubs would also miss out on loans i think our last was Holt from Rangers and Anthony Ralston from celtic. They did well for us So with that theory B makes OF stronger and others weaker

Would it though as i thought it was under 23 or 21 with 2 over age players just or something like that they were talking about. 

I suppose Callum will be looking at it from a loan perspective in that it will put his loan players up against better quality players.

The chairman is certainly in favour of it, I assume it will be him that gets the vote?

Pathetic that the old firm are only offering a tiny amount of money to the teams in those leagues for the first five seasons.

There is a Scottish Supporters Network survey about this here: http://www.scottishsupporters.net/b-teams-in-spfl-league-two-have-your-say/

I actually thing it’s a good idea. 

They are proposing teams of youngsters. They will probably get beat a lot. It’s done in a fair few countries. Good for bringing on young Scottish players who might one day make the national team. Not allowed to be promoted beyond League 1, and not allowed to enter either main cup, so impossible to have to play parent club (barring a repeat of the Banter Years, in which case I presume the B Team would be axed).

Utterly terrible and brain dead stupid idea. No one gains aside from Rangers and Celtic.

The argument is that when either arse cheek is not playing, their fans would go and support the colts teams. However, the Irn Bru cup has shown that this is not the case.

Fans of other teams (like us too), do not watch our teams to go and see either of them I'm sure it is our lowest home crowds.

As for player development, the better colt players would be loaned to a level above the max league 1 they can get to, so you will have the poorer players or the youngest.

I really struggle to see why any lower team would see any benefit to this. 

What’s wrong with the old reserve league you could have a league with teams from every division, I realise not every team will have the workforce to field one, ourselves included. Personally I only see it benefiting the teams with larger squads. Really at the end of the day who wants a mini old firm turning the lower leagues in to two horse race.

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Putting the Old firm aside, if the proposal was from Hibs and Aberdeen would views still be the same?

One option I saw was that there would be another league consisting of highliand, lowland and east of scotland teams plus the B sides  is this still on the cards? 

Yes. Regardless of the team, it is not a great concept. If you allow only 2 teams to do it, then if you genuinely believe it will help players development, then you hand those 2 teams an advantage.

If you do more than 2, then you might as well have a reserve league.

You could conceivable end up in a situation that 3rd place in league 1 would get promoted as both colts teams hit their limit. You would therefore be essentially playing in an 8 team league. Assuming playoffs are still around, you'd have potentially a team or two going into the last few weeks of the season with both the potential of promotion and relegation, which may be exciting in the short term, but utterly farcical long term. 

Also, they will not stop at league 1. They will push for championship admission after a few years. Also, don't be fooled by the development argument, this is a step to the two of them moving their first teams to other countries and leaving a presence in the scottish leagues. The goings on in Belgium should be a wake up call as to the future of scottish football. 

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

Putting the Old firm aside, if the proposal was from Hibs and Aberdeen would views still be the same?

One option I saw was that there would be another league consisting of highliand, lowland and east of scotland teams plus the B sides  is this still on the cards? 

Would not think B teams a good idea no matter who was in it.

SFA fecked it up when they introduced the shit about only allowed in the under 21/elite league if you met certain criteria. Don't remember too much about it but it may have had something to do with Malky McKays Brave Heart shit.

3 minutes ago, TheYellowBox said:

Yes. Regardless of the team, it is not a great concept. If you allow only 2 teams to do it, then if you genuinely believe it will help players development, then you hand those 2 teams an advantage.

If you do more than 2, then you might as well have a reserve league.

You could conceivable end up in a situation that 3rd place in league 1 would get promoted as both colts teams hit their limit. You would therefore be essentially playing in an 8 team league. Assuming playoffs are still around, you'd have potentially a team or two going into the last few weeks of the season with both the potential of promotion and relegation, which may be exciting in the short term, but utterly farcical long term. 

Also, they will not stop at league 1. They will push for championship admission after a few years. Also, don't be fooled by the development argument, this is a step to the two of them moving their first teams to other countries and leaving a presence in the scottish leagues. The goings on in Belgium should be a wake up call as to the future of scottish football. 

100% Couldn't have put it better.

34 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I really hope the lower league clubs put their foot down over this. This will do absolutely nothing to benefit or improve the lower leagues.

I'd be interested to see what evidence there is that this would be beneficial to anyone at all, actually.

It looks like they will vote for it. Money talks. If it's such a good idea why do they have to resort to bribery ?.

Yeah but what's in it for premiership & championship ?. Don't get it.

Edited by Cagey

6 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

The thing with the money is it is so short term.

Will many old firm fans travel to watch these games? Maybe for a season or two but after that any monetary gain will be gone. It would not surprise me if the short term gain is all that is considered. I can't think of any benefit to Saints.

You can't just think of it on personal terms. Think of the greater good. All those future international players that may even get a game for the OF.

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

If it was only to be Hibs or Aberdeen B teams then I would be against it. All Premiership clubs should be asked if the want to enter their B team. Some will some won’t, when you know the numbers then decide whether to enlarge the 2nd division or split it into North and South or east/west with maybe a split after X amount of games. 
If it’s only going to involve the OF youngsters what is the reasoning behind it? Are the OF going to announce in a year or two that they are joining the English set up and this is a way of them still being in the Scottish set up to please their fans here?

Edited by glenrothes saintee

I sense the room is not with me on this one.

I would say, there is no way a team of 20 year olds will finish top of leagues with the likes of Cove Rangers and Patrick Thistle in it, full of seasoned, experienced hammer throwers. In fact, it’s more likely they will be regularly embarrassed, and more likely there will be headlines about some delicate 19 year old starlet chopped to pieces by a 35 year old hairy postie playing central defence for Auchinshuggly Rovers.

2 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I sense the room is not with me on this one.

I would say, there is no way a team of 20 year olds will finish top of leagues with the likes of Cove Rangers and Patrick Thistle in it, full of seasoned, experienced hammer throwers. In fact, it’s more likely they will be regularly embarrassed, and more likely there will be headlines about some delicate 19 year old starlet chopped to pieces by a 35 year old hairy postie playing central defence for Auchinshuggly Rovers.

The problem is it won't just be young guys coming through their academy. I think even at the moment they are buying kids for the future.

Plus the OF will throw everything at trying to be top dog ending above each other & be the first to reach the 1st Division. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a bit naive.

1 hour ago, garydavidson said:

The thing with the money is it is so short term.

Exactly this. They're going to permanently destroy the whole league structure for the sake of a few years of pay-outs.

What I'm confused by is when it became the whole of Scottish football's job to develop Rangers' and Celtic's young players for them. Beyond the first few years of pay-out, what's in this for everyone else?

22 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Exactly this. They're going to permanently destroy the whole league structure for the sake of a few years of pay-outs.

What I'm confused by is when it became the whole of Scottish football's job to develop Rangers' and Celtic's young players for them. Beyond the first few years of pay-out, what's in this for everyone else?

Better-quality discards from Rangers and Celtic.

A better national team.

A better Euro co-efficient.

Higher attendances at lower league games.

All arguable, but the other clubs haven’t all suddenly gone “naive”: they must see the potential.