Peter Pawlett

THE LARK SAINT

He's always been ok when I've seen him, and a decent replacement for Conway/MOH. I just hope we're not breaking the bank to get him. Whatever you think of the player, it is positive that Davidson is looking ahead in terms of sorting out his squad. This is something I've complained about us not doing in the past. Also, weakening our rivals is never a bad idea.

1 hour ago, south inch said:

As a matter of interest what is he?  Certainly not a goal threat.

Picks the ball up, beats men 1v1 in the middle, plays balls in behind for strikers.

Wotherspoon was absolutely knackered by half time v Dundee, but we dont have anyone who can come in to the centre of the park and offer what he does, so he was left on. McCann had two chances to play strikers in and got it wrong twice. Big hole in the squad, and Pawlett, while being a drop off in quality from Wotherspoon, is that type of player I think. Not many of them going about so makes sense to have a look/enquire about him. 

He won't be getting signed as first choice, just a similar role to Bryson/Conway in that he'll come in to rest others/give us something different when needed.

Would see him as a potential signing but again a player towards the 30s would rather we looked at younger players. 

Did he not end up in a spat with Tommy campbell after he went back to Aberdeen, made claims about young boys washing the kit and not getting clean kit etc at training, :laugh:

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

He won't be getting signed as first choice, just a similar role to Bryson/Conway in that he'll come in to rest others/give us something different when needed.

I can accept that he won't be being signed as first choice, but won't he be on quite a decent wage? Surely we need to be out-bidding his current employers, or are they not interested in keeping him? 

12 minutes ago, Linky said:

I can accept that he won't be being signed as first choice, but won't he be on quite a decent wage? Surely we need to be out-bidding his current employers, or are they not interested in keeping him? 

I've no idea tbh.

Hes not first choice there, and doesn't seem to even be in squads these days, so presumably he's a goner there regardless. 

17 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

You are wrong he played in 2 of their last 3 games (did not check back any further) 

Yeah, he was in their squad v Celtic, and against 3rd tier Partick in the cup, but only makes it when they're resting players. In the last 5 matches, those are the only ones he's made the squad.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Yeah, he was in their squad v Celtic, and against 3rd tier Partick in the cup, but only makes it when they're resting players. In the last 5 matches, those are the only ones he's made the squad.

I find I have to check your comments because some of them are way out there.

Are you saying 23 league appearances out of 33 is because they are resting players?

Ref:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pawlett

https://www.transfermarkt.com/peter-pawlett/profil/spieler/62170

If he's not even in the squad most of the time, that sounds more like he's fallen out with the management, as you'd usually keep someone like that on the bench at least (or have they got a very big squad?). In that case, he might be looking for a way out, and wage demands might not be too high. Can he play in Conway/MOH role, or is it likely to be just back-up to Wotherspoon?

TBH, I think Middleton has shown promise and would prefer to keep him for another season on loan.

2 minutes ago, Linky said:

If he's not even in the squad most of the time, that sounds more like he's fallen out with the management, as you'd usually keep someone like that on the bench at least (or have they got a very big squad?). In that case, he might be looking for a way out, and wage demands might not be too high. Can he play in Conway/MOH role, or is it likely to be just back-up to Wotherspoon?

TBH, I think Middleton has shown promise and would prefer to keep him for another season on loan.

Most of us would want Middleton to stay another year but can't see it. It would have to be a loan as we couldn't afford him. Would Rangers loan him to us again if he wasn't getting game time.

On Pawlett. His stats don't look great.2 goals,1 assist,7 bookings & a sending off.

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

I find I have to check your comments because some of them are way out there.

Are you saying 23 league appearances out of 33 is because they are resting players?

Ref:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pawlett

https://www.transfermarkt.com/peter-pawlett/profil/spieler/62170

Well, yes. That is fewer appearances than Craig Conway has made for us. As I said earlier, he has made 14 starts. Clearly a fringe player and that is reflected in United fans’ opinions of him.