St.Johnstone V Aberdeen - Saturday 10th April

SaintJet

44 minutes ago, Indicator said:

A goal was required.

When did May last score a goal. Up front on his own or otherwise.

Winner against St Mirren at the end of December, set up two goals since then.

Kane hasnt scored since halfway the 16th of January and has set up one goal since then. 

Melamed needs to start every game, and that means we need to play 2 up top.

I'm absolutely clueless about why we changed shape today. Completely and utterly pointless.

Very late sub's & Melemed ,our biggest goal threat only given 10 mins.

Not sure why Callum changed the team apart from giving guys a game that we know are not good enough.

Never mind Callum was happy with what he saw.

You should always play your strongest team & if guys are not happy at not getting game then tell them its because they are not good enough.

By my reckoning we have only scored 8 goals at home in the league which is obviously a concern.

I also read in the Courier Jim Spence article that he had had a chat with Geoff Brown at Dens last week and Geoff was concerned about the ongoing effect of covid in that people will have got out of the way of going to football by the time supporters are allowed back in to grounds and that clubs will have to come up with creative ways to entice them in.

No sense in being creative in other ways if we cannot play a system or have the players who can play the system and score goals.

Do not see any of our current forwards who are "one up front" goalscorers.

At home we need to change system to suit what we have or in the transfer window bring in players who will score in the current system.

8 goals at home is not an incentive to get bums on seats.

We're in a bit of a "no-win" situation imho. We're very much a "team"- good coaching and mostly good tactics. Build a squad on a tight budget and over-achieve. No real "glamour" players, just good team morale & mix. It's worked this season in what will go down as one of our best seasons ever. (arguably our best given the Covid backdrop?)

However, this policy may have been proven in the current climate, and we're certainly "batting above our station", or grinding out results, it isn't particularly conducive to getting "bums on seats" if you're going to sway the 50/50 fans (and their families). We don't have any star players, any characters (at least not on the field).

Maybe I'm looking through rose tinted spectacles, but the likes of Rhodes, Sergei, Attilla, Inglis, Wright, Dodds, O'Boyle etc did get bums on seats. You were excited to see them play. Not necessarily results though and a potentially perilous financial situation, given their transfer fees & wages. 

And off the field we had Totten, the master tyre salesman who got customers through the door. Ultimately, Broonie saw this wasn't sustainable and maybe his greatest legacy, beyond McDiarmid, was to scrap this policy and focus on keeping a professional club in Perth.

But, it doesn't necessarily equate to bums on seats.

I think we are past the stage of debating the aesthetics of the 5-2-3. Even if you accept football doesn't need to be simply about winning games, it's harder to look past the idea that the primary aim is to score goals. 

For a spell this season, I enjoyed watching us play the new system at home and even yesterday, the first half was a dominant display. 

But the evidence is damning, we don't score goals at home and 17 games into a league season, the manager shouldn't still be banging his head off a brick wall hoping something miraculously changes.

The nature of the formation means there are always positives in individual performances and I can see why there are elements of the display he's happy with but it's just a broken record as it's the same every time we use it. 

The positives yesterday were the back three were solid again, the wing backs were advanced and I thought Bryson was very good. He's stepped up a level over the past few months. Conway is an intelligent player who knows the system but the legs hold him back. 

After a bright few minutes to open, Middleton was very quiet but would have liked to see the manager try to switch him over with Conway. The other two players who were disappointing were McCann and Kane. The latter is back to looking like a guy who is incapable of scoring goals. He's a bit like the individual embodiment of the team under this system, looks good at a lot of what he does but can't do the most important thing. 

If Bryson has stepped up his performances recently, McCann is probably having his poorest spell since coming into the team. A guy that used to never give the ball away but is sloppy with his passing at the moment. Not sure anyone scouting him at the moment will be too impressed. 

Disappointed we failed to put the pressure on Livingston but league on the back burner for a few weeks now. Get past Clyde, get through the Rangers game then have a real crack at this quarter-final.