St.Johnstone V Aberdeen - Saturday 10th April

SaintJet

30 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

We can debate formations until we are blue in the face. I agree with the comment above the combination of Bryson Conway Middleton and Kane did not work and with McCann off form our threat was zero form them. CD delayed to long before changing it. 

CD has done a great job & we should have won that game on the first half.

Aberdeen changed things,we didn't . That's what lost the game.

The reluctance to change things & put on subs when required is a problem that hopefully he can rectify next season.

2 hours ago, Cagey said:

CD has done a great job & we should have won that game on the first half.

CD has done a great job cup winner and top 6.

As for having the game won in the first half I disagree. How many saves did their keeper make and how many shots on target did we have.

Did we play better football in the first half? Yes but that does not mean you should win, goals win games.

I'm not overly disappointed with Today's result. But(I'll come back to the but!)
The defence have been terrific this season and Today's goal was avoidable and the game was always going to go to the team that scored first, just happened to be Aberdeen who are hard to play against when they take a lead 
I don't think it was the correct decision to go one up front today but that formation has seen us win games 3.0 so can't argue with the idea 
We have secured top six ,still in the Scottish Cup and won the League Cup 
Now the but.....We have scored 8(Eight)goals at home 
Something needs to be sorted in that department for next season as 8 goals at home is not good enough.

It wasn't awful, and losing against Aberdeen is never a disaster. We started brightly and they looked terrified, as the barely had any time on the ball. The game changed on Kane missing from a few yards out. It was a chance he should've put away, and that seemed to wake them up, and the game became more balanced. By the end, we deserved a draw. However, for all the pressing, passing and movement, we still don't put enough pressure on goalkeepers. We'd get a good cross in and no one would be the middle to do something with it.

Kane has improved by a huge amount this season. However, he's still not a solo striker, but needs to hold up the ball for others. Conway seems to get chances and can never put them away due to his lack of speed. Middleton was disappointingly quiet. This was a huge game, and might've been the difference between us getting into Europe and not, so I'm not sure why Davidson decides to rest some key players.

22 hours ago, Linky said:

This was a huge game, and might've been the difference between us getting into Europe and not, so I'm not sure why Davidson decides to rest some key players.

Have to agree with that. Looking at all of our Top 6 matches, this one was arguably one of our biggest chances of making up some ground on Livi. I felt we really missed Liam Craig in the middle and I think he should have started this one (especially when he could be rested next Saturday when we play Clyde). Middleton was deserving of his start after previous appearances from the bench, but I'd rather have seen him given that chance in the Dundee game than this one. I've been really impressed by Middleton but it does seem he's at his most effective as an impact sub.

As well as Kane has done this season, he's never going to be a natural goalscorer and when we're using him as our only striker, that's a problem - and that cost us on Saturday. 

We had chances, we should have scored. Very much like the Saints from earlier in the season.  Defending was poor for the goal but overall we looked the better team in the highlights.

Aberdeen were there for the taking and our best chance to pick up points. Somehow thats 3 times this season we've dropped points against them when really theyve looked poor. Cant grumble at top 6 and cup but we could have just about been top 4. Aberdeen have been pretty awful this season but still seem to have got there.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

We had chances, we should have scored. Very much like the Saints from earlier in the season.  Defending was poor for the goal but overall we looked the better team in the highlights.

Aberdeen were there for the taking and our best chance to pick up points. Somehow thats 3 times this season we've dropped points against them when really theyve looked poor. Cant grumble at top 6 and cup but we could have just about been top 4. Aberdeen have been pretty awful this season but still seem to have got there.

They got there because we dropped 10 points to them.

14 hours ago, Johnny B said:

My Jury is still out on Middleton

I think that has to be the case until he's shown he can produce the goods from the start of a game and last 90 minutes. Still, on the whole I've liked what I've seen of him and at his age there's a lot of room for development.