McDiarmid Stands & Tributes

Melbourne Saint

Ok, clearly very bored, but I was thinking about the stand names. Broon & Ormond taken. How would the club mark our achievements in the past 7 years?

It's as good an achievement as realistically possible, and I guess at some stage, someone will be honoured for that.

But it's actually quite difficult. Some could argue TW- and with clear merit, Scottish Cup & the team was effectively his for the LC and the top 6 finishes. However, many will say that his SC team wasn't "his", he wasn't manager for both cups. CD, involved in both, but way too early.

So, what should the criteria for stands naming be? TW hits the mark to me, but is it a thing where time must pass? People are deid? And TW is still very much in the game.

And should we feel compelled to name a Stand??? Clubs are now selling naming rights to grounds, stands to sponsors'. Should saints follow that for a bit of extra £? 

I'm happy with some "statue" type recognition. They could be designed and made at local colleges or artists and put around/in the ground. One of my firsts would be Muzz. Sentimental, but his rollercoaster with Saints is quite typically Saints.

6 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Ok, clearly very bored, but I was thinking about the stand names. Broon & Ormond taken. How would the club mark our achievements in the past 7 years?

It's as good an achievement as realistically possible, and I guess at some stage, someone will be honoured for that.

But it's actually quite difficult. Some could argue TW- and with clear merit, Scottish Cup & the team was effectively his for the LC and the top 6 finishes. However, many will say that his SC team wasn't "his", he wasn't manager for both cups. CD, involved in both, but way too early.

So, what should the criteria for stands naming be? TW hits the mark to me, but is it a thing where time must pass? People are deid? And TW is still very much in the game.

And should we feel compelled to name a Stand??? Clubs are now selling naming rights to grounds, stands to sponsors'. Should saints follow that for a bit of extra £? 

I'm happy with some "statue" type recognition. They could be designed and made at local colleges or artists and put around/in the ground. One of my firsts would be Muzz. Sentimental, but his rollercoaster with Saints is quite typically Saints.

You are clearly bored but nothing wrong with throwing things out there.

For me, the East Stand should have been named the Tommy Wright Stand after the Cup win, and I still feel it should be named that. However, given that he's now managing one of our rivals, to an extent I feel that the moment has passed and it would now be more appropriate to do something like that in the future when he has retired.

I'm never all that keen on statues, but if there was to be some sort of monument or artwork in anyone's name then for me it would have to be for Geoff Brown. Robert Campbell would be the other obvious one, but we already have a suite named after him.

Personally I'm still disappointed that nothing long term has been done in town to commemorate the 2014 Cup win or mark the 17th May date. There was a lot of talk of this at the time but as far as I'm aware nothing ever happened.

As far as sponsorship/naming rights go - I know this has been discussed in the past and some are dead against it, but if it brought in significant income for the club I'd be fine with the stadium name incorporating a sponsorship deal. It would of course have to be in addition to the McDiarmid name, rather than a replacement. 

You couldn't have the Tommy Wright Stand when Tommy might be coming here next year managing another team (if he's not relegated).

I think they need to be, if not dead, then out of the game, like Broon or Fergie. It just feels odd to me otherwise. Same reason I don't like current sportsmen getting knighthoods or damehoods, like Andy Murray. Just wait till they're finished.

My preference would  be to name a stand after Aggie. Seriously. 

9 minutes ago, sleepless said:

I think they need to be, if not dead, then out of the game, like Broon or Fergie. It just feels odd to me otherwise. Same reason I don't like current sportsmen getting knighthoods or damehoods, like Andy Murray. Just wait till they're finished.

I think for knighthoods and damehoods the criteria specify that you haven't retired and are still active in your profession. 

There’s only 4 stands.

I would name stands on a rotational basis , say every 10 years of a dude voted for.

tommy Wright has to wait till he’s deed and wait in a queue to be voted on.

statues are for pigeons and weirdos that stick stickers on things.

there should be a great big fountain that gushes up a plume of water. When saints win ye can go for a dip.or like the dirty Scots fans do at Trafalgar Square a wee wash for dumpdee fans.you could engrave all the saints people who deserve it on the side of the fountain.just like the hall of fame it would be voted on.

anyone defecating in the fountain will be fuqing banned for at least a year.

10 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Brown Ormond and Main taken  ha ha

2 hours ago, slf said:

There’s only 4 stands.

I would name stands on a rotational basis , say every 10 years of a dude voted for.

tommy Wright has to wait till he’s deed and wait in a queue to be voted on.

statues are for pigeons and weirdos that stick stickers on things.

there should be a great big fountain that gushes up a plume of water. When saints win ye can go for a dip.or like the dirty Scots fans do at Trafalgar Square a wee wash for dumpdee fans.you could engrave all the saints people who deserve it on the side of the fountain.just like the hall of fame it would be voted on.

anyone defecating in the fountain will be fuqing banned for at least a year.

Imagine sticking stickers on things!What grown adult does that?LAUGH OUT LOUD

I don’t think it would be a good idea to name a stand after TW at present when he is at a rival team. Some time in the future it may be an idea to name a stand after the 2014 squad as a whole rather than just TW. Also as regards a Perth tribute I would quite like to see the Broxden roundabout get a facelift and be Saints themed.

5 hours ago, Dooj said:

I think for knighthoods and damehoods the criteria specify that you haven't retired and are still active in your profession. 

In the Civil Service when you got a gong you did get it before you retired but it was a broad hint that it was time you were on your bike.

With me they just brought my bike round to the door!

I'm not a fan of statues and some times they can be ridiculous,look at Fulham for good example of that

For me Willie Ormond still out ranks Tommy Wright because competition was far superior then and Saints did incrediblely well under Ormond and he has a stand already 

I might change my opinion on a stand for Tommy at a later date,I think they need to  have passed away though,but then factor in Callum Davidson  winning the Cup in his first season!Does he get a stand as well?

I would probably rather these achievements were recognised in a similar way as Campbell as in a Suite 

So no Statues for me

Jury out on stands

Imagine if this success rate continues and other managers come in and win things!!!!

I’d go for something that commemorated the SC win as a whole, using eg the date. May 17th Stand? The largest football stadium in the world is called the 1st of May Stadium, in North Korea. The National stadia in at least 5 African countries are named for various dates.

Many of the stands named after people in the UK tend to commemorate folks who both did great things, and also managed to die very early and/or tragically. So if, say, Capn Dave or Saint Tommy had, God forbid, gone under a bus two weeks after the cup win (preferably whilst pushing a disabled child to safety). In the absence of that, I don’t think there’s any one individual who stood out far enough - it was a team effort. 

I think it’s inevitable that a stand might be named, temporarily at least, for a sponsor in the future. 

8 hours ago, south inch said:

In the Civil Service when you got a gong you did get it before you retired but it was a broad hint that it was time you were on your bike.

With me they just brought my bike round to the door!

Ha ha. Still waiting on my C.S. long service medal after 36years.:shock:

2 hours ago, saintgscot said:

Aggie Moffat stand brilliant. Or the Aggie Moffat tea bar at one of the kiosk but if Graeme Souness in line be ready to duck.

Don't think you could name a Stand after her, but certainly a kiosk in East stand- good idea. Saints could also look at a "Hammer thrower" drink in the Muirton sweet... Naturally a cordial. And a "five paces" energy drink for Roddy.

11 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I think it’s inevitable that a stand might be named, temporarily at least, for a sponsor in the future. 

The Ormond and North stand already are, or at least were.

The North was/is the "GS Brown North Stand" and has/had the big GS Brown sign on it. And I'm sure the Ormond had the "SSE family stand" tacked onto the name somewhere too.

I'm very much of the opinion they could change the stadium name with a sponsor "the Aviva stadium at McDiarmid Park" etc., and nobody would bother and we'd all still just call it McDiarmid. 

Naming stands after coaches/players should definitely come after they've retired, but before they die, IMO. It's a shame when players are put in the Hall of Fame but arent there to witness how highly they're held by fans.

I'd hope in, say, 2034, we induct the whole 13/14 squad into the HOF, for example.

14 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

I'm not a fan of statues and some times they can be ridiculous,look at Fulham for good example of that

For me Willie Ormond still out ranks Tommy Wright because competition was far superior then and Saints did incrediblely well under Ormond and he has a stand already 

I might change my opinion on a stand for Tommy at a later date,I think they need to  have passed away though,but then factor in Callum Davidson  winning the Cup in his first season!Does he get a stand as well?

I would probably rather these achievements were recognised in a similar way as Campbell as in a Suite 

So no Statues for me

Jury out on stands

Imagine if this success rate continues and other managers come in and win things!!!!

Tommy had more sustained success than Willie.

Tommy won the Cup in his first season,  just like Callum.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:19 AM, blueheaven said:

For me, the East Stand should have been named the Tommy Wright Stand after the Cup win, and I still feel it should be named that. However, given that he's now managing one of our rivals, to an extent I feel that the moment has passed and it would now be more appropriate to do something like that in the future when he has retired.

I'm never all that keen on statues, but if there was to be some sort of monument or artwork in anyone's name then for me it would have to be for Geoff Brown. Robert Campbell would be the other obvious one, but we already have a suite named after him.

Personally I'm still disappointed that nothing long term has been done in town to commemorate the 2014 Cup win or mark the 17th May date. There was a lot of talk of this at the time but as far as I'm aware nothing ever happened.

As far as sponsorship/naming rights go - I know this has been discussed in the past and some are dead against it, but if it brought in significant income for the club I'd be fine with the stadium name incorporating a sponsorship deal. It would of course have to be in addition to the McDiarmid name, rather than a replacement. 

Would it not be better to commemorate the winning of the cup and the squad as a whole rather than one person. What about the 2014 Scottish cup stand 

20 minutes ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

All the stands already have names so I'm against renaming them, especially if folk actually think Tommy Wright deserves that sort of recognition. 

He doesn't by the way.

Is that the Main stand & East stand. Name after Alan Main & Brian Easton ?.