McDiarmid Stands & Tributes

Melbourne Saint

31 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

Having spent 4 years in Berlin during my RAF days I remember one particularly famous road called Straße des 17. Juni. 17 May Avenue has a good ring about it!

Yes I parked my car in Einbahnstraße and got lost. The locals laughed when I asked for directions. :cool:

27 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Yes I parked my car in Einbahnstraße and got lost. The locals laughed when I asked for directions. :cool:

Amazingly I just received  a case of alt beer and never pils that are awaiting consumption .

will be too blitzed to hear the neighbours. 

prost ya bass.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:45 PM, blueheaven said:

What would someone have to do to deserve that recognition in your view?

Out of interest, do you disagree us with having a stand named after Willie Ormond? Because if Wright doesn't deserve it, Ormond doesn't either.

Yes I think neither deserve it. Geoff Brown deserves it but would likely not want it, so do it when he croaks. Other than Geoff? Na. Bruce has the stadium, rename the Ormond for Geoff. Then leave it till someone truly remarkable in our history appears, too many folk getting recognition way above the level they should.

Edited by andy rhodes fancy watch

2 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Yes I think neither deserve it. Geoff Brown deserves it but would likely not want it, so do it when he croaks. Other than Geoff? Na. Bruce has the stadium, rename the Ormond for Geoff. Then leave it till someone truly remarkable in our history appears, too many folk getting recognition way above the level they should.

Willie Ormond did and does deserve it.  At the time of naming the stand it was probably unthinkable that we’d ever achieve anything near what Ormond and his side achieved so that sort of recognition was justified. 

Do, or have, Saints got a "Wall of Saints" anywhere? If not, I was thinking of key players, staff over the years. It'd be great to have a room somewhere in the ground (main stand), where notable people, or era's were remembered. Could be a bit of a history journey and have photos, memorabilia and more recently video/ electronic media. Would be great for kids & adults alike. Themes such as "European Adventures" (not to be confused with the Griswald's European Vacation),  Promotions, Cup runs, as well as player records (appearances, goals etc). Could be for all staff and fans. Would love to see a bio on Aggie, and the tea cup. 

10 hours ago, double deluxe said:

Willie Ormond did and does deserve it.  At the time of naming the stand it was probably unthinkable that we’d ever achieve anything near what Ormond and his side achieved so that sort of recognition was justified. 

Not for me. It's only my opinion obviously but it shows how tinpot we were when naming stands after folk that tbh never achieved that much in the grand scheme of things.

54 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Respect your opinion Andy but what age group you in.

The here and now just like you. We have moved on from being a club who glorifies losing a cup final and a half decent season or two in the top league as the ultimate success, or at least we should have. In my opinion naming stands should be the ultimate accolade and even after all the success we've had recently I'm not sure players and managers should get that, that's what the hall of fame is for. Geoff saved the club, moved us to Mcdiarmid,  made us self sufficient which in turn has given us the platform to win trophies, that deserves it. Bruce gave the land to us for a pound. They are the true heroes of St Johnstone, players and managers come and go with some/little success in the grand scheme of St Johnstone things.

12 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Do, or have, Saints got a "Wall of Saints" anywhere? If not, I was thinking of key players, staff over the years. It'd be great to have a room somewhere in the ground (main stand), where notable people, or era's were remembered. Could be a bit of a history journey and have photos, memorabilia and more recently video/ electronic media. Would be great for kids & adults alike. Themes such as "European Adventures" (not to be confused with the Griswald's European Vacation),  Promotions, Cup runs, as well as player records (appearances, goals etc). Could be for all staff and fans. Would love to see a bio on Aggie, and the tea cup. 

tacky and soon become irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

Not for me. It's only my opinion obviously but it shows how tinpot we were when naming stands after folk that tbh never achieved that much in the grand scheme of things.

Except European runs, top flight and respected, then becoming scotland manager. Nothing. 

2 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

The here and now just like you. We have moved on from being a club who glorifies losing a cup final and a half decent season or two in the top league as the ultimate success, or at least we should have. In my opinion naming stands should be the ultimate accolade and even after all the success we've had recently I'm not sure players and managers should get that, that's what the hall of fame is for. Geoff saved the club, moved us to Mcdiarmid,  made us self sufficient which in turn has given us the platform to win trophies, that deserves it. Bruce gave the land to us for a pound. They are the true heroes of St Johnstone, players and managers come and go with some/little success in the grand scheme of St Johnstone things.

Fair play mate.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Except European runs, top flight and respected, then becoming scotland manager. Nothing. 

43 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Tommy and Callum have both surpassed Ormond. 

This.

And none of them deserve the accolade of having a stand at the ground named after them imo.

3 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

I think that's fair enough, but personally I think Tommy's achievements are good enough to put him at that level and may never be surpassed at a club of our size (and certainly hadn't been equalled in over 100 years previous). 

I think Ormond deserved it at the time when the Ormond Stand was named, and will undoubtedly always be a club legend. However, there's no way he could still objectively be considered the best manager in our club's history.

Interesting take on how we've moved on from seeing glory in a lost cup final or couple of decent seasons. I guess you're right, in that whatever happens now, this current era will have changed expectation levels forever. But we never know what's around the corner and it would take only a season or two of bad management to have us back down scrapping it out alongside Falkirk, Partick etc.

Just now, slf said:

Too busy at his hot dog stand wazzy  aka bye bye Dundee would love a stand named after Steve brown .

a wee picture of them shakin hands ,preferably each other’s would likely help sell some more hot dugs.

Braw

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think that's fair enough, but personally I think Tommy's achievements are good enough to put him at that level and may never be surpassed at a club of our size (and certainly hadn't been equalled in over 100 years previous). 

I think Ormond deserved it at the time when the Ormond Stand was named, and will undoubtedly always be a club legend. However, there's no way he could still objectively be considered the best manager in our club's history.

Interesting take on how we've moved on from seeing glory in a lost cup final or couple of decent seasons. I guess you're right, in that whatever happens now, this current era will have changed expectation levels forever. But we never know what's around the corner and it would take only a season or two of bad management to have us back down scrapping it out alongside Falkirk, Partick etc.

The league was much stronger in Ormonds day,two European trophy winners,that we went toe to toe with.Tommy’s reign included 4 seasons of Rangers out the league,Hearts,Hibs and Dundee Utd too,so a much weaker opponent without doubt,but still a great achievement 

9 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Aye