McDiarmid Stands & Tributes

Melbourne Saint

16 hours ago, andy rhodes fancy watch said:

All the stands already have names so I'm against renaming them, especially if folk actually think Tommy Wright deserves that sort of recognition. 

He doesn't by the way.

What would someone have to do to deserve that recognition in your view?

Out of interest, do you disagree us with having a stand named after Willie Ormond? Because if Wright doesn't deserve it, Ormond doesn't either.

21 hours ago, mainstand said:

Would it not be better to commemorate the winning of the cup and the squad as a whole rather than one person. What about the 2014 Scottish cup stand 

I'd be on board with that idea, yeah.

Still think Tommy Wright should eventually have something at the ground in his name though (not necessarily a stand).

Did the club not say at the outset when it was decided to have the Ormond Stand named that they put Wullie Ormond related memorabilia on display? I also think it is time they updated the display cases in the Muirton Suite or at least do a couple of them for the cup winners. 

1 hour ago, ejksjfc said:

Did the club not say at the outset when it was decided to have the Ormond Stand named that they put Wullie Ormond related memorabilia on display? I also think it is time they updated the display cases in the Muirton Suite or at least do a couple of them for the cup winners. 

Planning began to change the display cases in the Muirton Suite a couple of years back with a ‘timeline’ of the club’s history being one of the proposals.  A number of different reasons put the whole thing on hold and it hasn’t been revisited since. 

30 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Planning began to change the display cases in the Muirton Suite a couple of years back with a ‘timeline’ of the club’s history being one of the proposals.  A number of different reasons put the whole thing on hold and it hasn’t been revisited since. 

What display cases in Muirton Suite??

3 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Don't know if it has moved, but there was a standing cabinet there at one time. Amongst other things used to have a Saints jockey cap. Personally, if there's going to be memorabilia on show, put it somewhere everyone can get access to.

9 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Plans were afoot to do a kind of museam thing. 

On 4/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, THE LARK SAINT said:

Have you ever been in the Muirton Suite?  You have either to be blind (my sincere apologies if indeed you are non sighted) or brain dead not to have seen the display cases with historical Saints memorabilia around all the walls in the Muirton Suite. As I said earlier it is about time they were updated to include our Cups winners. (Purely as a matter of interest what is the plural of cup winner)

49 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

Have you ever been in the Muirton Suite?  You have either to be blind (my sincere apologies if indeed you are non sighted) or brain dead not to have seen the display cases with historical Saints memorabilia around all the walls in the Muirton Suite. As I said earlier it is about time they were updated to include our Cups winners. (Purely as a matter of interest what is the plural of cup winner)

Ha ha mr lark wears glasses and is normally Tiddley on Pom.

other than that there is no display cases. Framed displays yes but no cases to answer for.hope this helps .

Just now, slf said:

Ha ha mr lark wears glasses and is normally Tiddley on Pom.

other than that there is no display cases. Framed displays yes but no cases to answer for.hope this helps .

3 hours ago, double deluxe said:

The walls are covered in them 

See above dude.

20 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Well Jo Jo Thanks for the compliments!

Firstly let's deal with this in order.Yes I have been in the Muirton Suite several times and even been in for things where you don't even need to drink 

No I'm not blind but I do where glasses,bit like yourself if I remember correctly but that happens when we reached our  60s eh?

Brain dead.How insulting!!

So let's call me brain dead though..where does that leave you on the intelligence level as I.along with SLF can tell the difference between display cabinets and framed pictures with glass covers. Cheers. 

On 4/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, double deluxe said:

The walls are covered in them 

Probably a matter of how how you view Display stands

A display stand or cabinet to me is a floor standing unit

The Muirton Suite has pictures with glass frames 

Not the same in my view .but then if you read down I'm a specky brain dead person anyway so fucqe knows 

Braw!

19 minutes ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Not the same in my view .but then if you read down I'm a specky brain dead person anyway so fucqe knows 

Braw!

Cannae beat being a specky brain dead dude as there’s  plenty of them kicking about the east stand.

you are not alone.

However you do know the difference between a display cabinet and a fuqing picture frame.well done .

9 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Braw!

A very pedantic way of going about it.  Either way, it was clear and obvious what I was referring to. :huh:

22 hours ago, THE LARK SAINT said:

Well Jo Jo Thanks for the compliments!

Firstly let's deal with this in order.Yes I have been in the Muirton Suite several times and even been in for things where you don't even need to drink 

No I'm not blind but I do where glasses,bit like yourself if I remember correctly but that happens when we reached our  60s eh?

Brain dead.How insulting!!

So let's call me brain dead though..where does that leave you on the intelligence level as I.along with SLF can tell the difference between display cabinets and framed pictures with glass covers. Cheers. 

Now that is a name of mine from the distant past when I was little more than a trainee specky now 50 odd years fully qualified and onto probably 30+ pairs. My apologies although you obviously know who I am flummoxed by your pseudonym. As regards display cases the dictionary definition is a construction with one or more glass panels to allow display of things. Therefore by that definition I am correct (as you are also). I also apologise for my flippant comment about being brain dead  if this caused offence.

34 minutes ago, ejksjfc said:

Now that is a name of mine from the distant past when I was little more than a trainee specky now 50 odd years fully qualified and onto probably 30+ pairs. My apologies although you obviously know who I am flummoxed by your pseudonym. As regards display cases the dictionary definition is a construction with one or more glass panels to allow display of things. Therefore by that definition I am correct (as you are also). I also apologise for my flippant comment about being brain dead  if this caused offence.

Braw !!

I'd be of the view that you name a stand once someone has either died or retired. If you want to mark an occasion, like the 17th May, then you could rename one of the suites or even better, create a new hospitality suite. Possibly utilising the spaces in the corners.

For me, I think a couple of appropriate options are a) name the road leading down to the ground, maybe 17th street and the road/ running in front of the ormond 28th street (get it's very americanised) and have a signpost at the corner of the two commemorating the cup wins with a plaque or something.

b ) you could utilise the 'dead space' grass area at the top of the car park as either some kind of memorial garden for players and fans that have passed. Again, could name it after someone OR you create a fan zone and fave a bit of fun with it, I.E the George O'Boyle party zone.

Final suggestion, we can name or even sell sponsor rights to the training ground/pitches behind the main and East stands.  Maybe the Tommy Wright Training centre or for example the Aviva training complex and they put up branding.

Edited by TheYellowBox