Pay per view.

Cagey

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

I see Scottish Premiership are going to allow ppv next season.

I assume season ticket holders will get the games as well.

Looks like they are not expecting full crowds next season.

Makes sense- crowds will be down and there's always the chance of another variant outbreak. Regardless, some clubs will find next season a real test of finances. Even limited attendances with distancing will be expensive to manage. It just takes one outbreak traced back to a ground for all grounds to revert to no fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56806541#:~:text=Scottish Premiership clubs will continue,shown live by the broadcaster.

It'll be interesting to see how this works if fans are also being allowed into matches.

If it's £12 to watch the game on PPV at home, but £22 (for example) to watch the game in the ground, they're going to struggle to get anyone going to the ground. Big question mark over the value of a season ticket and what that season ticket actually gets you, too. A PPV season ticket would surely need to be differently priced to an in-the-ground season ticket.

8 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56806541#:~:text=Scottish Premiership clubs will continue,shown live by the broadcaster.

It'll be interesting to see how this works if fans are also being allowed into matches.

If it's £12 to watch the game on PPV at home, but £22 (for example) to watch the game in the ground, they're going to struggle to get anyone going to the ground. Big question mark over the value of a season ticket and what that season ticket actually gets you, too. A PPV season ticket would surely need to be differently priced to an in-the-ground season ticket.

That one dropped in out of the blue! Yes, the impact and ramifications are massive. Be interesting what the club do. Also interesting what has been agreed with Sky Sports. Do they get a %? I'd expect there to be some compensation, as anything related to Murdoch rarely does anything without recompense.

Like it or not, Saints have to embrace it and not put a shoddy service out. It will give rise to a big change in Ross Cunningham's remit- he'll need support. 

Saints could effectively produce a show which is similar in format to Sky- pre game, half time and post game analysis etc. Add in the guys from Hospital Radio too, if possible and Stuart Cosgrove, who'd know how to put it together. Then there are opportunities for advertising and increased online purchasing.

It could/should become a pretty decent revenue stream for the club, subscription pricing will be interesting. Will it be a genuine season ticket? I'd prefer from the club's revenue perspective that they don't "water it down" too much and if fans choose to watch specific games not covered by Sky, that should be priced at a premium, making a season pass a bit more palatable.

However the impact on "attendances" will be fairly significant. This is a very significant change to the way the game is viewed. For a club like Saints, maybe bigger than all-seater stadia.

Folk may view it as killing atmosphere at home games. But have we really had much?  What is the implication on revenue and costs? Will we end up with fans who have rarely seen a game in the flesh, a true "virtual fan"? 

Very significant development.

15 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

That one dropped in out of the blue! Yes, the impact and ramifications are massive. Be interesting what the club do. Also interesting what has been agreed with Sky Sports. Do they get a %? I'd expect there to be some compensation, as anything related to Murdoch rarely does anything without recompense.

Like it or not, Saints have to embrace it and not put a shoddy service out. It will give rise to a big change in Ross Cunningham's remit- he'll need support. 

Saints could effectively produce a show which is similar in format to Sky- pre game, half time and post game analysis etc. Add in the guys from Hospital Radio too, if possible and Stuart Cosgrove, who'd know how to put it together. Then there are opportunities for advertising and increased online purchasing.

It could/should become a pretty decent revenue stream for the club, subscription pricing will be interesting. Will it be a genuine season ticket? I'd prefer from the club's revenue perspective that they don't "water it down" too much and if fans choose to watch specific games not covered by Sky, that should be priced at a premium, making a season pass a bit more palatable.

However the impact on "attendances" will be fairly significant. This is a very significant change to the way the game is viewed. For a club like Saints, maybe bigger than all-seater stadia.

Folk may view it as killing atmosphere at home games. But have we really had much?  What is the implication on revenue and costs? Will we end up with fans who have rarely seen a game in the flesh, a true "virtual fan"? 

Very significant development.

Ross no longer there.

It amazes me the quality we get from Saints TV with more or less 1 camera when Sky & BBC need loads of outside broadcast vehicles & miles of cables, 2 or 3 commentators & 2 or 3 summarises.

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Saints could effectively produce a show which is similar in format to Sky- pre game, half time and post game analysis etc.

They had a pre-match show for the first few matches of the season with player interviews etc but TBH I suspect it was technically more trouble than it was worth. It seems they quietly put the idea to bed and now we just get the match coverage. Personally I'm happy with that - the pre-match stuff was probably taking up a quite a bit of resource and I suspect a lot of viewers probably weren't tuning in until kick-off time anyway. I'm happy with the club doing the minimum as long as the match coverage itself is solid and reliable (which it has been).

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, Cagey said:

It amazes me the quality we get from Saints TV with more or less 1 camera when Sky & BBC need loads of outside broadcast vehicles & miles of cables, 2 or 3 commentators & 2 or 3 summarises.

I'd assumed the PPV coverage was making use of the BBC feed? There's certainly more than one camera involved in what we've been watching this season. We get wide views, close-ups and also replays from more than one angle. That's all being edited live.

42 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'd assumed the PPV coverage was making use of the BBC feed? There's certainly more than one camera involved in what we've been watching this season. We get wide views, close-ups and also replays from more than one angle. That's all being edited live.

I am not sure if it is the BBC as they seem to only use multiple cameras for the old firm visits - all other highlights tend to be a single angle. Saints highlights on twitter have been far better than most of the stuff the BBC has put out this season.

• 2 months later...

Appologies if I have missed this, but has there been anything from the club regarding PPV for this comming season perhaps even a PPV season ticket of sorts?

We are almost a week away from our first pre season game, will this be on saints tv? 

Nothing upcoming on the ppv site and the main site didn't even have the new season fixtures up yet...

9 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

Appologies if I have missed this, but has there been anything from the club regarding PPV for this comming season perhaps even a PPV season ticket of sorts?

We are almost a week away from our first pre season game, will this be on saints tv? 

Nothing upcoming on the ppv site and the main site didn't even have the new season fixtures up yet...

Given that the club made sure ST holders weren’t worse off last year, I’d imagine the actual season ticket will double up as PPV ST if there are still restrictions in place. 

Its sounding like they’re aiming to open stadia fully by August 10th so in that situation, PPV might be a thing of the past,  but I hope not!