Hibenian v St.Johnstone - Saturday 1st May

SaintJet

Back to the day job and the lads visit Easter road to try and reel in Livingstone for that important 5th place.

Hope to see Muzz getting a wee run out at some stage and hopefully some of the fringe players getting game time to keep us all sharp.

Edited by blueheaven
Date edited

21 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

Back to the day job and the lads visit Easter road to try and reel in Livingstone for that important 5th place.

Hope to see Muzz getting a wee run out at some stage and hopefully some of the fringe players getting game time to keep us all sharp.

No resting players or giving time to fringe players need to play best team to win, draw or keep goal difference down. Also it could be a cup final rehearsal and a chance to put the frighteners on them 

37 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

You’ll find plenty of E’s in Livi but none in the name of the town/football club. 

4 hours ago, Johnny B said:

No resting players or giving time to fringe players need to play best team to win, draw or keep goal difference down. Also it could be a cup final rehearsal and a chance to put the frighteners on them 

That's the dilemma Callum has. I can't honestly say I am not sure which way we go. Full team or rest some.

Problem is the 3 guys that might need a rest don't have replacements.

24 minutes ago, Cagey said:

That's the dilemma Callum has. I can't honestly say I am not sure which way we go. Full team or rest some.

Problem is the 3 guys that might need a rest don't have replacements.

Want to rest Kerr or Gordon play Rooney Centre and MOH wingback want to rest McCann play Bryson want to rest Wotherspoon  play Middleton but for me strongest team

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Wotherspoon

Melamed Kane

I'm not sure I see the need to rest players given that it's 8 days til the semi final. Might be different if it was a midweek game.

I can see Callum not playing anyone who is carrying a knock or possibly subbing certain individuals earlier than he might otherwise, but better to play a fairly strong team to maintain fitness levels and sharpness. And of course there's still the important matter of wanting 3 points in the quest for 5th place.

5 hours ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Other issue is Livi are playing an Aberdeen that are rank rotten so may need to match their result if they get one which there is a good chance to give us a decent shot at them in the last game

Cant believe weve dropped so many points to Aberdeen and that they are fourth. Theyve been poor this season.

Hibs are in the same position as us regarding saving players for the cup incase they get injured of sent off.

They have the advantage that they are 6 points in front of Aberdeen by 6 points so I think they may rest a couple. Hopefully the diver. 

6 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Hibs are in the same position as us regarding saving players for the cup incase they get injured of sent off.

They have the advantage that they are 6 points in front of Aberdeen by 6 points so I think they may rest a couple. Hopefully the diver. 

Agree, if any team was considering not fielding their strongest XI, it would be Hibs. I think we'll play our strongest team. Even so, I'd imagine full use of subs. Aberdeen may have been poor this season, but they'll fight v Livi. Reckon a draw there. 

Who've Midden got?

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Cant believe weve dropped so many points to Aberdeen and that they are fourth. Theyve been poor this season.

I can see Aberdeen really plummeting down the league next season if they don't improve. Wonder how they'll feel about McInnes going if that happens.

Could really do with them getting a good result against Livi tomorrow though.

9 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Agree, if any team was considering not fielding their strongest XI, it would be Hibs. I think we'll play our strongest team. Even so, I'd imagine full use of subs. Aberdeen may have been poor this season, but they'll fight v Livi. Reckon a draw there. 

Who've Midden got?

Midden got Hamilton.

Spoony picked up a knock last week but is in the squad for a start. Muzz might be on the bench but by the sounds of it he is still a couple of weeks away before he starts.

I suspect Bryson, Conway and Middleton will get a shot this week with  the defense picking itself.

Sadly looks like Tanser will be out, maybe for the rest of the season.

Board did a bit of digging the last time we played at Easter Road

Clark

Rooney Gordon McCart

McNamara Craig McCann Tanser 

O'Halloran 

Melamed May

2v2 with O'Halloran our man of the match. I will gladly take another 2v2

May be 7 of them at the most start this time round

Reading a number of the comments it sounds like some are willing to play a weaker team and put all our European eggs in the Scottish cup basket. I will be very disappointed if we di not play our strongest team. We need that 5th place as anything can happen in cup ties. Having put ourselves in this dual position to qualify for European football it would be a tragedy if we let ourselves down by resting players and giving fringe players game time. Strongest team and what will be will be.

7 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Only important things here are no injuries and some game time for fringe players. 

This.

League doesn't matter. Getting 5th arguably would be worse than 6th. Your season starts earlier, you've got a huge amount of qualifiers to get near the group stage, and you'll make zero money.

Winning the Cup guarantees you £3m, season starts later and you're in the groups regardless. It's the equivalent of finishing 3rd.

So we have 3 games left to finish 5th, or 2 games left to finish 3rd. I know what I'd be prioritising. 

Edited by RandomGuy

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

This.

League doesn't matter. Getting 5th arguably would be worse than 6th. Your season starts earlier, you've got a huge amount of qualifiers to get near the group stage, and you'll make zero money.

Winning the Cup guarantees you £3m, season starts later and you're in the groups regardless. It's the equivalent of finishing 3rd.

So we have 3 games left to finish 5th, or 2 games left to finish 3rd. I know what I'd be prioritising. 

I’d rather finish 5th then win the Cup. Surely that’s the best option? 

Could end up finishing 6th, losing to Hibs in the final (or St Mirren in the Semi) then ending up with nothing. 

Edited by Pat McGroin

1 minute ago, Pat McGroin said:

I’d rather finish 5th then win the Cup. Surely that’s the best option? 

Could end up finishing 6th, losing to Hibs in the final (of St Mirren in the Semi) then ending up with nothing. 

We have the smallest squad in the league, a lot of our players play pretty much non-stop (Wotherspoon/McCann play during International "breaks", Wotherspoon in particular travels huge distances), and injuries could kill us.

Tanser is out for the season, so we now have 6 defenders for 5 positions. Murray Davidson still isn't fit so in our 3 man midfield we have 4 options, 5 if you include Gilmour who we still have no idea about.

We're about to play 3 games in 7 days so we'll have to prioritise. Some rotation today, then some against Celtic, means we should have a full squad (minus Tanser) all match fit to play the Semi.

Winning the Scottish is far more important than 5th. Winning the Scottish is far more important than qualifying for Europe IMO.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Both

As was said above let 5th in the league go to Livi by saving players for the Scottish cup then lose the final to Hibs. Now we have egg on face and no Europe. We need the belt and braces.