Scottish Football Writers' Young Player of the Year

garydavidson

Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson is in the running to retain his Scottish Football Writers' Young Player of the Year award after being named on the shortlist along with Celtic midfielder David Turnbull, Rangers defender Nathan Patterson and Hibs full-back Josh Doig.

Nathan Patterson has played 7 domestic games for Rangers and is in the shortlist :shock:

3 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Aberdeen's Lewis Ferguson is in the running to retain his Scottish Football Writers' Young Player of the Year award after being named on the shortlist along with Celtic midfielder David Turnbull, Rangers defender Nathan Patterson and Hibs full-back Josh Doig.

Nathan Patterson has played 7 domestic games for Rangers and is in the shortlist :shock:

Who the feck nominated them ??.

How is it even remotely possible that Ali McCann hasn't been nominated, when he's started virtually every game for Saints, won the League Cup and become a regular full international, all at the age of 21?

I saw on Twitter that Patterson has only started three league games this season.

Obviously the  Scottish Football Writers do not rate him that highly. Let's hope teams willing to buy him do. He deserved a nomination but the OF teams get their nominations a sad reflection on Scottish journalism.

It would have been a real feather in his cap to win it and that would most certainly have increased his value.

22 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Obviously the  Scottish Football Writers do not rate him that highly. Let's hope teams willing to buy him do. He deserved a nomination but the OF teams get their nominations a sad reflection on Scottish journalism.

It would have been a real feather in his cap to win it and that would most certainly have increased his value.

That's the reason we don't get good fees for our players. The reporters never talk them up.

There can't be many better players in their positions than Kerr & McCann but it is never reflected in the press.

McCann is a full international. None of the others can claim that.

7 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Seems Ali is no longer eligible because he plays for Northern Ireland: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2189143/no-young-player-nomination-ali-mccann-st-johnstone-missed-out/

"the award, which is only open to players who can represent Scotland at international level"

Yeah but he still wouldn't have been listed.

Taking my Saints hat off, I'd say based on what I've seen of them all both Doig & Patterson look to me to be future Scotland players and possible "big move down South" types , Ferguson I'm not so sure what the hullabaloo is about. Turnbull is decent and will improve in a better Celtic team.

For me out of those 4 I'd give my vote to Josh Doig.