pezza70

The greatest season ever?

Recommended Posts

This has to surely now go down as the greatest season ever in our clubs history.

The wee little club with no support, no money, no love from the main stream media has once again showed that money can’t buy grit, heart and spirit.

What odds Gerard still gets manager of the year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

Adam couldn't wait to say Gerrard was a stick on for manager of the season after the match today. 

I don't give a flying f**k if Callum gets MOTY, this has to be the greatest season to support St Johnstone since the very start.  

I could win a trophy with the budget rangers or sellick have.

Gerrard been fortunate he has been able to buy  decent squad, and compete against a celtic team in disarray.  If he had won a treble or a double, or got close in europe, then fair enough.

What Callum has achieved on the budget we have is phenomenal. 

Unfortunately west coast media falling over them selves to get back to the succulent lamb.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, St. Paddy said:

I could win a trophy with the budget rangers or sellick have.

Gerrard been fortunate he has been able to buy  decent squad, and compete against a celtic team in disarray.  If he had won a treble or a double, or got close in europe, then fair enough.

What Callum has achieved on the budget we have is phenomenal. 

Unfortunately west coast media falling over them selves to get back to the succulent lamb.

 

Totally agree, I don't want the pathetic media bias to dilute how much I am enjoying supporting Saints this season.  Let them fawn over Gerrard, I do not care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those other "Big Teams" are wishing they could achieve what our team has.

They are not aware of our secret weapon and the media sports "experts" have not picked up on it either.

During what is a fantastic season there have been no spectators allowed in stadiums.

As has been highlighted in previous years by the press - our support level is low.

So basically we are used to playing in stadia with few supporters so this year has been to our advantage compared to the mega big clubs.

Oh we also have a good management team and squad of players but we will never get credit for that.

Edited by Templar Saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Those other "Big Teams" are wishing they could achieve what our team has.

They are not aware of our secret weapon and the media sports "experts" have not picked up on it either.

During what is a fantastic season there have been no spectators allowed in stadiums.

As has been highlighted in previous years by the press - our support level is low.

So basically we are used to playing in stadia with few supporters so this year has been to our advantage compared to the mega big clubs.

Oh we also have a good management team and squad of players but we will never get credit for that.

Fair comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Norsaint said:

Does todays result mean that we are guaranteed Europe if we stay 5th given that Hibs are the opposition even in the unlikely event we lose on the 22nd? 

Yes, indeed. 5th place guarantees Europe, albeit at an earlier stage of qualifiers than it would be for winning the cup. A cup win would guarantee European football until December. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Yes, indeed. 5th place guarantees Europe, albeit at an earlier stage of qualifiers than it would be for winning the cup. A cup win would guarantee European football until December. 

I think we are guaranteed Europe as Livi can’t qualify?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

As has been highlighted in previous years by the press - our support level is low.

So basically we are used to playing in stadia with few supporters so this year has been to our advantage compared to the mega big clubs.

I'm increasingly of this view too and it actually has me a bit apprehensive about how we'll handle playing in front of fans, because we seem to be so good when fans aren't there! As I said on another thread, I think several of our players - Kane and Spoony in particular - have really thrived without the pressure of fans getting on their backs.

I'd like to think fans might recognise this and take it into account when we're allowed back in. Let's everyone make an effort to not moan at players or get on their backs - let's all support them and get behind them instead. Maybe that's a bit of an unrealistic suggestion, though. :laugh:

To answer the thread ... I wouldn't call it our most successful season just yet, purely because there are still two major issues to be settled. But yeah, it's got to be up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I'm increasingly of this view too and it actually has me a bit apprehensive about how we'll handle playing in front of fans, because we seem to be so good when fans aren't there! As I said on another thread, I think several of our players - Kane and Spoony in particular - have really thrived without the pressure of fans getting on their backs.

I'd like to think fans might recognise this and take it into account when we're allowed back in. Let's everyone make an effort to not moan at players or get on their backs - let's all support them and get behind them instead. Maybe that's a bit of an unrealistic suggestion, though. :laugh:

To answer the thread ... I wouldn't call it our most successful season just yet, purely because there are still two major issues to be settled. But yeah, it's got to be up there.

Spot on about the crowds BH. Playing from the back doesn't go down well with our fans especially at home. It used to annoy we ,all the shouting to get it up the park.

Yeah Spoony & Kano did take a lot of stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

I think we are guaranteed Europe as Livi can’t qualify?

That’s true enough, but I’m just feeling overly cautious about that situation. If Livi were to finish 5th, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if they launched a successful appeal. So I’m still seeing it from the perspective of 5th guaranteeing it beyond any doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

That’s true enough, but I’m just feeling overly cautious about that situation. If Livi were to finish 5th, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if they launched a successful appeal. So I’m still seeing it from the perspective of 5th guaranteeing it beyond any doubt.

I agree. I haven't seen any official confirmation that Livi are definitely disqualified from Europe with no chance of appeal. My expectation is that if they finish 5th, allowances will be made for them. They won't finish 5th though. We will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

That’s true enough, but I’m just feeling overly cautious about that situation. If Livi were to finish 5th, I wouldn’t be overly surprised if they launched a successful appeal. So I’m still seeing it from the perspective of 5th guaranteeing it beyond any doubt.

Totally agree. Also, leaves a bit of a conundrum for Saints. Assuming (although you could see Saints upsetting this) that both Saints and Livi loose this midweek, then does he go full strength for the Livi game to secure 5th? If this wasnt a game with something riding in it, you could see players being rested or only given 45 mins. Would be beneficial to Saints to know whether Livi will be unlikely to get a Euro spot or not.

On the question of most successful season, if we win the cup, then there is no question to be asked. Loose and it might still well be. The 98/99 season might be right up there too as to finish 3rd requires a whole season of success.

Need to factor in the backdrop to this season though, new manager, no fans, Covid, missing players in Semi etc and regardless of other seasons, it would be the biggest achievement in Saints history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All this chat about Europe. The Europa league qualifiers, as we know, often consist of one round, two perhaps, v less well known opposition. Forget fifth. Win the cup and it’s Europa League qualifying round, likely to be hammered, but then Conference group stage. Last I looked Spurs were occupying the league position for the conference. Hence the £3m being touted for the six matches. Cup win for me. Don’t care about fifth unless we lose to Hibs, but by then the league is over and we’ll know anyway. Great problem to have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

£3m plus the cup winners prize money (which seems to be a state secret as far as google is concerned). Broon will have palpitations. 

I am sure it is £300 k for winners but then I thought we could only field 3 subs in cup so don't believe Google.

Don't know what runners up get.

I think it is a state secret though as Dungcaster is probably embarrassed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

£3m plus the cup winners prize money (which seems to be a state secret as far as google is concerned). Broon will have palpitations. 

If we get there I'm sure Brown will be quick to tell us how much of that money disappears when you factor in player bonuses, travel costs and the pesky manager asking to make new signings. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...