St.Johnstone V Hibernian - Scottish Cup Final - Saturday 22nd May 2021

SaintJet

Breaking News!

CD has confirmed that he will have a full squad of players available for selection including returning players from isolation.

He will delay in choosing his starting line up to see everyone in training.

Great News!!!

Edited by SaintJet

3 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Breaking News!

CD has confirmed that he will have a full squad of players available for selection including returning players from isolation.

He will delay in choosing his starting line up to see everyone in training.

Great News!!!

That feels like getting everything you wanted for Christmas!  Tremendous news!

1 hour ago, glenrothes saintee said:

Online store has them on sale

Great, Thanks I hadn’t seen them advertised anywhere.

Saints need to get this on the main site.

Cup final polo shirt arrived this morning and programme ordered will order ticket this afternoon. Excitement is building.

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson says he faces "difficult" decisions on team selection for Saturday's Scottish Cup final after the club's Covid-19 issues left his plans in disarray.

An outbreak meant the Perth side have been without a number of players in the last three games.

The squad trained on Wednesday and Davidson will monitor his players in the build-up to facing Hibernian as St Johnstone bid to complete a cup double.

"It is a hard situation," he said.

"They have come back training, it is not great for a professional athlete to miss 10 days and do nothing in their house.

"I will need to watch them training to assess their physical condition and where they are mentally as well.

"These are all factors. If you had asked me three weeks ago what my team was I probably would have told you, whereas now things have changed so it is up in the air.

"There are places up for grabs, it is going to be a difficult call on who to pick and I will only get it right if we win it."

A round of Covid testing at the start of the week returned all negative results, with Davidson keeping his "fingers crossed" Wednesday's screening produces the same outcome.

It has been an unconventional and chaotic build-up for the Perth men as they attempt to add the Scottish Cup to their League Cup success.

"It is going to take a monumental effort from everyone involved to get a result on Saturday," added Davidson.

"This week it is basically turn up in your training gear, walk on to the pitch, walk off, pick up their packed lunch boxes on the way out and eat it in the car.

"It's a bit unfortunate, I would have also liked to get the boys suits and made it more a special time for them.

"But they are okay, they realise the magnitude of the game and after winning the League Cup, they know what they can achieve on Saturday."

BBC

On 5/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, Johnny B said:

Is this a wind up or is it the official program. We have had great performances from players and they put an on loan Rangers player on the program who may not be here next year. It should have our captain Kerr, McCann, Wotherspoon, Craig and many more before Middleton. My preference for sentimental reasons Murray Davidson,

image.png.e9cb50438e447b26f37969b81615c4a8.png

It's just the two players who scored vital goals in the Semis.

No idea why you've over thought it that much tbh.

Edited by RandomGuy

57 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson says he faces "difficult" decisions on team selection for Saturday's Scottish Cup final after the club's Covid-19 issues left his plans in disarray.

An outbreak meant the Perth side have been without a number of players in the last three games.

The squad trained on Wednesday and Davidson will monitor his players in the build-up to facing Hibernian as St Johnstone bid to complete a cup double.

"It is a hard situation," he said.

"They have come back training, it is not great for a professional athlete to miss 10 days and do nothing in their house.

"I will need to watch them training to assess their physical condition and where they are mentally as well.

"These are all factors. If you had asked me three weeks ago what my team was I probably would have told you, whereas now things have changed so it is up in the air.

"There are places up for grabs, it is going to be a difficult call on who to pick and I will only get it right if we win it."

A round of Covid testing at the start of the week returned all negative results, with Davidson keeping his "fingers crossed" Wednesday's screening produces the same outcome.

It has been an unconventional and chaotic build-up for the Perth men as they attempt to add the Scottish Cup to their League Cup success.

"It is going to take a monumental effort from everyone involved to get a result on Saturday," added Davidson.

"This week it is basically turn up in your training gear, walk on to the pitch, walk off, pick up their packed lunch boxes on the way out and eat it in the car.

"It's a bit unfortunate, I would have also liked to get the boys suits and made it more a special time for them.

"But they are okay, they realise the magnitude of the game and after winning the League Cup, they know what they can achieve on Saturday."

BBC

Some mind games here from Davidson I think. Trying to ensure we stay firmly as the underdogs.

26 minutes ago, DubaiSaint said:

Is the game on Saints TV for international supporters or do I need to subscribe to Premier again? I can't see anything on the Saints TV site!

On BBC if you can pick it up somehow.  I am sure it won't be on Saints TV.

7 hours ago, DubaiSaint said:

Is the game on Saints TV for international supporters or do I need to subscribe to Premier again? I can't see anything on the Saints TV site!

It'll be on Saints TV international, like the other semis and finals were this year. 

Hibs TV International uses the same streaming platform and they're advertising it now.  Saints TV are often slow in promoting upcoming games. 

Everyone’s starting XI?

I’ve a suspicion we will go 3-4-3 as opposed to 3-5-2. Defence picks itself. Hope McCann and Craig start this one. Spoony a definite. I think he will go with Kane up top and whilst I expect Middleton to be in contention for the final spot for some reason I’ve got this feeling MOH will start.

Obviously we all want to see Murray get some game time, but I just think we keep possession better when it’s either Craig or Bryson beside McCann. Super sub appearance for me.

37 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

I’ve got this feeling MOH will start.

Since the arrival of Middleton CD has played him or brought him on as a sub before MOH, Therefore he will start or come on before MOH. Also MOH played no part in the league cup final being left on the bench.

However I agree I would like him to start in a front 3 as his pace will cause them problems but my gut feeling says we will play 3.4.1.2

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Wotherspoon

Kane Melamed

Subs to change if needed to change to 3.4.3 Middleton and MOH

Sub for sentimental reasons Davidson

49 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Since the arrival of Middleton CD has played him or brought him on as a sub before MOH, Therefore he will start or come on before MOH. Also MOH played no part in the league cup final being left on the bench.

However I agree I would like him to start in a front 3 as his pace will cause them problems but my gut feeling says we will play 3.4.1.2

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Wotherspoon

Kane Melamed

Subs to change if needed to change to 3.4.3 Middleton and MOH

Sub for sentimental reasons Davidson

Possibly May upfront with Kane.Got some great subs to come on that can make a real impact.

Getting nervous already!

In both the semi-final win over Hibs and the recent league win over Hibs, we played one central striker flanked by two wide forwards. CD has also said in the past that he prefers that system at Hampden. In the semi-final against St Mirren we departed from that system and it could be argued it was less successful as Melamed had such a quiet game. I really can't see Melamed starting this one. I think he'll go with Kane through the middle, Spoony on the left, and either MOH or Middleton on the right. I have a feeling he may go with MOH, purely because Middleton seems to be so much more impactful when he comes off the bench.

If everyone's fit and available then I'd say the team virtually picks itself and there's really only one place up for grabs, which MOH, Middleton, May, Melamed and Conway are all scrapping for.