St.Johnstone V Hibernian - Scottish Cup Final - Saturday 22nd May 2021

SaintJet

St Johnstone have won the cup double. I am pinching myself. How on earth has this happened? It is magnificent! The Saints have had a more successful season than either Celtic or Rangers. And Rangers also felt the wrath of St Johnstone during the quest to their one in a row league success. It was a pleasure to watch today. Zander is a man-mountain, the back three equally impenetrable and, as for the enigmatic Rooney, there is more to him than meets the eye. He will move on to (even) bigger/better things. I would be surprised if Callum Davidson couldn't walk on water.

6 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

How true  

Each time Saints have prevailed, there's always "oh we did not play to our strengths,  or we didn't turn up".

Surely can't all be luck?

Underestimated since 1884 

It was luck. Lucky Saints have great manager & Hibs unlucky that they have manager that hasn't a clue how get the better tactically of a rookie manager & team of unfashionable players who can't even get in a Scotland team.

Booth wins a block tackle (up the left wing ) as another Hibee moves in.

Booth gets to his feet , wins another block tackle..

The ball reaches Spoony , who baffles his opponent,  before flighting a teasing cross to the back post.

Hibs golden boy , is outjumped , outfoxed , outmuscled ( delete as appropriate).

Saints golden boy , Shaun Rooney sends a bullet header into the rigging , with the Hibs keeper unable to move an inch of his gigantic frame towards the ball.

Get in!!!

7 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Booth wins a block tackle (up the left wing ) as another Hibee moves in.

Booth gets to his feet , wins another block tackle..

The ball reaches Spoony , who baffles his opponent,  before flighting a teasing cross to the back post.

Hibs golden boy , is outjumped , outfoxed , outmuscled ( delete as appropriate).

Saints golden boy , Shaun Rooney sends a bullet header into the rigging , with the Hibs keeper unable to move an inch of his gigantic frame towards the ball.

Get in!!!

I love that everyone watching knew that spoony would check back onto his right foot, but he does it so well that defenders cannot counter it.  

The freedom he has to express his ridiculous skill with the ball at his feet is down to the manager freeing him up to play that role.  

This team and manager have become so much more than the sum of its parts.

Highlights were slightly more comfortable watching. Forgot how many decent chances we had.

Sometimes things are just meant to be.

Seems unlikely we will be able to properly celebrate this fantastic season this year. Even first home game of next season will probably have a small crowd. Hopefully they can get maximum crowd in that they can. 

21 minutes ago, montrosesaintee said:

I love that everyone watching knew that spoony would check back onto his right foot, but he does it so well that defenders cannot counter it.  

The freedom he has to express his ridiculous skill with the ball at his feet is down to the manager freeing him up to play that role.  

This team and manager have become so much more than the sum of its parts.

Couldn't have put it better.

Have to say I'm a bit drunk and emotional....but for many of my close friends, and myself this has been a truly horrendous few months, loosing those close to us. These things do not happen to st Johnsone and I cannot help but think there is not a touch of devine inspiration there so for, Melvin cammide, ken birse and Ken Smeaton this is for you and thank you for making your son's so proud. You gave us this team, and instilled a pride in it and in our city that will last forever

1 hour ago, Norsaint said:

Watching again just emphasised Booth's contribution to the goal and that subtle little nudge from Bryson giving Spoony the space hasn't been mentioned much.

Felt the same. Many wouldn't have made those two tackles for fear of a card "out of control", but he played the ball, and was brave (in the modern game), to want the ball enough to set Spoony away. So much to say about the game, Hibs spurred some very very good opportunities (not really chances), with play in the box. We were slack in phases, but they say "Defences win championships [and cups], strikers win matches" We go that one chance, and took it. The defence won us the cup.

MON THE PENNY DAINTEES!