St.Johnstone V Hibernian - Scottish Cup Final - Saturday 22nd May 2021

SaintJet

2 hours ago, GranitecitySaint said:

Am I right in saying if vilareal beat Man Utd we are in Europa league play off potentially dropping into the conference group stages?

Sadly not. It would only change the ranking for conference league qualifiers. 

We're looking for Chelsea to finish 5th and then win the CL. 

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Highlights were slightly more comfortable watching. Forgot how many decent chances we had.

Sometimes things are just meant to be.

Seems unlikely we will be able to properly celebrate this fantastic season this year. Even first home game of next season will probably have a small crowd. Hopefully they can get maximum crowd in that they can. 

Have the Hibees scored yet?

On 5/11/2021 at 9:06 PM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I've posted something on the Edinburgh Saints thread to see if anyone wants to gather in an Edinburgh pub but I'm not sure if any of the Edinburgh Saints frequent this forum any more?

@SaintDougie @Nelly78 @ryangordon86 @bigstu @st Tommy @chopper @geoff was right!! @Kilgour @Born2Bru @Baldy Marc @Thomas_sjfc @Edstar101 @crieffsaintandy @tony_polster @Goran Cuts Inside @saintcraigieboy 

Sorry not on PC in general much health has been poor but what a tonic our wee team has been.Just watched it in the house..cheers

I held off posting yesterday, mainly because I’d had a few drinks, but also because I want to reflect on what we’ve just achieved. I know there are many St Johnstone fans out there who’ll write better than me, portray feelings better than me, have watched saints for far longer than me, but I’ll give it a shot. 

Yesterday was the greatest moment in St Johnstone football clubs long history. We’d already been dubbed the second most successful team on the last decade, I’d wager pound for pound we’re the most successful team in Europe over the last decade! Every person to a man who’s involved in any way shape or form with this magnificent football club can say they’ve played their part in getting us there. Yes we’ve had ups and downs, but my god I wouldn’t trade places with any other fan. 

This is a squad and club built on humble thoughts, hard work and an amazing ethic. Whether we play Kelty Hearts, Dunfermline, Clyde, Rangers or Hibs the players give the same 110% each time. The management gives them the tactical respect they deserve and whilst we may admire and respect many opposition teams and players, we don’t ever think they’re better than us. As fans we’re all the same. We go into every game expecting not to win, but secretly every one of us knows that right now this team isn’t going to let us down or go down without fighting tooth and nail. It makes you proud to be associated with this unbelievable football club, proud to wear the badge, proud to say you’re a fan of a diddy team. That’s something so many fans of big clubs around the world will never feel, when the world is against you and the team comes out swinging, the pride and emotion that it can generate is like nothing else. 

I may not be from Perth, I’ve never lived there, or even particularly liked the place. But my god it will ever have a place in my heart for producing St Johnstone and playing home to them. I just hope all the players and people around the club know how badly we’d all want to be there celebrating with them. We may not be large in number, but we’ve got a hell of a voice. So I just hope that to a man, whether you’re a lapsed fan, a die hard, a newly found fan that when the time comes, that 20 man squad and their management team get the loudest reception McDiarmid Park has ever seen or heard, because by god we’ve all missed it, this season especially.  And I for one cannot wait to be surrounded by my fellow fans cheering this history making club on to further adventures and success. 

We are St Johnstone Football Club and I don’t think anyone is going to forget that any time soon! 

Feeling so incredibly proud of everyone at SJFC today. I don't think it's possible to put into words what this means to all the fans, but what I also found very, very special was to see just how much it means to the players. I'm not sure we've ever had such a hard-working, energetic, spirited and passionate group of players, and it's all perfectly tied together by the manager whose organisational and motivational skills have made this Saints team so, so difficult to beat.

I said this yesterday, perhaps in the heat of the moment, but in the cold light of day I still stand by it: is there a more impressive achievement in the history of football, anywhere in the world, than what St Johnstone have just done??

"Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana, The Proclaimers, James and Andy Murray, Dougray Scott, Irvine Welsh, Fish, Josh Taylor [we have beaten them all, we have beaten them all]. Jack Ross, can you hear me? Jack Ross [...] your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

What can you say that hasn't already been said about saints. While I dont think we played the best we have all season, we just wanted it more. All the more incredible when you consider the disruption caused by covid over the last few weeks. The ability to did deep is such a testiment to the way they are coached and how the players all feel about the club.

2014 felt like destiny had been achieved. 2021 cup final win sort of felt inevitable from the moment we scored. The belief in the team is incredible and every player turned up.

Small aside for Boyle, what a cheating b%$tard. That could have broke our hearts. Hope he gets dogs abuse from saints fans for evermore. 

13 hours ago, Center Half said:

All the plaudits go to spooner and of course big Shaun for the finish! But as a lover of a good tackle, Calum Booths double tackle made that goal for me.

Absolutely - that moment was vintage Callum Booth. He's got to be one of the biggest unsung heroes of our season - he's been absolutely brilliant since he came into the team. Given that he was really only brought in as short-term cover for left-back, what a fantastic signing he's turned out to be for us.

13 hours ago, Center Half said:

All the plaudits go to spooner and of course big Shaun for the finish! But as a lover of a good tackle, Calum Booths double tackle made that goal for me.

The block by Bryson was also part of it all but Booth was solid in those two challenges, been a great player in these huge games when you consider some of the players he has faced off against. 

Can't be arsed checking but have any of the much lauded 45 goal forward line scored against Saints.

Their right back scored 2 goals late in a game & they got a penalty with a dive but I don't remember much more in the SIX games.

Just now, Cagey said:

Can't be arsed checking but have any of the much lauded 45 goal forward line scored against Saints.

Their right back scored 2 goals late in a game & they got a penalty with a dive but I don't remember much more in the SIX games.

Hibs haven't scored against us in the last four meetings and none of the front three has scored against us this season. Nisbet had one assist in the 2 all draw. 

Saints 0 v 1 Hibs - Mallan 91 min penalty

Hibs 2 v 2 Saints McGinn

Saints 3 v 0 Hibs League Cup

Saints 1 v 0 Hibs

Saints 1 v 0 Hibs

Hibs 0 v 1 Saints Scottish Cup final

10 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Hibs haven't scored against us in the last four meetings and none of the front three has scored against us this season. Nisbet had one assist in the 2 all draw. 

Saints 0 v 1 Hibs - Mallan 91 min penalty

Hibs 2 v 2 Saints McGinn

Saints 3 v 0 Hibs League Cup

Saints 1 v 0 Hibs

Saints 1 v 0 Hibs

Hibs 0 v 1 Saints Scottish Cup final

I think it says a huge amount about our defence and how well CD has them organised, when you consider that Jack Ross hasn't been able to find a way to break us down in the last four attempts. It's not as if this is a bad Hibs side - they've finished third and have two very good forwards in their team.

Also, I don't think it's been said on here yet, so I'd like to take a moment to criticise Jack Ross's shirdigan.

4 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think it says a huge amount about our defence and how well CD has them organised, when you consider that Jack Ross hasn't been able to find a way to break us down in the last four attempts. It's not as if this is a bad Hibs side - they've finished third and have two very good forwards in their team.

Also, I don't think it's been said on here yet, so I'd like to take a moment to criticise Jack Ross's shirdigan.

Ha ha ,  Shirdigan .

Did wonder what it was he was wearing.

Braw.

Edited by HOODLUM65

21 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

What a day. 

What a Season.

What a team. 

I hope Stevie got everyone drunk and pulled the contracts out the drawer last night! 

Pay the Blue Wall whatever they want. 

You've never said a more appropriate sentence. 

1 hour ago, Bruno Strasser said:

If I was a Hibs fan I wouldn't want Boyle at the Club. I hate it when Players dive.

Hibs have been at it all season. In our first game against them Portious through himself down when Gordon was pushed against him to win a penalty. Boyle tries it in every game when nearing the end of the game & they are not winning. I am sure they have gained more points than they should have through penalties.

Saturday summer them up when they claimed a hand ball & even in slow motion it was nowhere near anyone's hand.

Good game by Nick Walsh in his first major cup final. Well done.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

When you look back at it there are a lot of similarities with the Dundee United team of 2014 and how we completely nullified them.