Celtic v Saints, 12 May 2021, 18.30

blueheaven

So amid all the Cup fever it's back to league duty tomorrow night for another huge game. A win here would not only be another momentous result for the club, but it could also virtually confirm 5th place for us (if Livi lose at home to Sevco).

I'm expecting a return to a front three, with Kane through the middle possibly flanked by Spoony and Middleton. Liam Craig may also make his return, if it's true that he's the one of the Covid 4 who'll be available. Beyond that, though, I can't see there being many changes.

Difficult one, I would love to see some of our essential players rested for the Livingston game and cup final but we cannot as goal difference may decide it if we lose to Celtic, Livingston lose to Rangers and then we draw with Livingston on last game.

Field our strongest team and with one eye on the Livingston game use our subs wisely.

I didn't see the point in resting players prior to the semi, given the time between games. However, I got the impression from Callum that the changes he made were more about giving everyone in the squad some game time, to keep them sharp - makes a lot of sense, and I guess he'll have a similar approach to the last two league games. It's never good to see the reserve team playing as it gives the impression that they have written the game off. However, we have a squad of players with no obvious stars so even if the regulars aren't playing, I would feel confident that the game is still winnable. Nice to be able to 'relax' (relatively) and let CD do what he does. No reason to question his judgement.

23 minutes ago, Brian Potter said:

Our squad is reasonably strong in the midfield/up front but is threadbare in defense which terrifies me going into the next two games.

Yeah, Gordon got a bad one on the mouth & wouldn't be surprised if he was left out but how do we cover. I assume Rooney to CB & Brown RB but both weaken the positions.

Rangers* are too close to the invincible league season to risk losing to Livi so I think we can afford to rest guys like Spoony and Gordon even Zander.  Celtic are demoralised on the pitch at present and Howe is leading them a merry dance off it as he waits to see if any better jobs come out of any end of season managerial sackings.

We could field or best available team and possibly more or less settle 5th place if we win and Livi lose but at the risk of injuries.  Better to ca canny and concentrate on Saturday.

This game is getting lost in the fog of battle; who'd have believed that a game against Celtic is an inconvenience?:D

I think we could take something from this game. Rest Zander, perhaps Spoony. I'd give Middleton, MOH and May a start assuming Stevie is available. Pure conjecture ofcourse - who knows what CD will be thinking but anyone carrying a knock will need to be rested.

36 minutes ago, henryhallsdanceband said:

Is Murray ready and available...if he’s going to be in the CF squad he needs game time under his belt?

Will he play, sentiment yes (he deserves it) if he does play who do you drop McCann or Craig they both have earned their cup final place. Or he is on the bench 10 minutes to go and are holding on to a 1 goal lead do we bring him on? Knowing his luck we do and he gives away one of his silly free kicks because he is not up to match speed and they score. Or Murray scores with a towering header to make the game safe. 

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

I would play the team that started against Hibs in our 0v1 win at Easter Road:

Parish
Kerr  Gordon  McCart
Brown  McCann  Bryson  Booth
O'Halloran  Kane  Middleton

Close but Melamed needs to start and Stevie if he's cleared.

2 hours ago, Johnny B said:

I would play the team that started against Hibs in our 0v1 win at Easter Road:

Parish
Kerr  Gordon  McCart
Brown  McCann  Bryson  Booth
O'Halloran  Kane  Middleton

I don’t think Parish can play. The most important player there is Booth. We have no cover for LB and we can’t go into the Hibs game without a LB against Boyle. 

I'm of the view we go for a pretty strong team here.

While we all assume Livi will get beat from Rangers, we cannot rest up for this one and ship 4/5 goals. The goal difference is like an extra point v Livi for the final game, so dont want to loose that advantage.

Equally, a point is of little use either if they loose, still would require us just not to loose on Saturday.

If we did manage to win tonight and Livi loose, then it will be job done and we can rest players on Saturday.