St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

9 hours ago, MySpazz said:

I don't care what happens, so long as we can all go on the piss for at least two or three away matches.....and preferably not Spartak Trnava or Minsk.

I'd love a good away trip too but I think that might be difficult/unlikely, especially for the early rounds. Best chance of it happening is to get into one of those group stages. Being in a group stage would also make it helluva lot easier to plan ahead.

I'm hoping that at the very least, most away games would be streamable this time round.

Looks like there’s a spanner in the works with this Europa League Playoff round for the winner. 

The latest is that this will only happen if Chelsea win the CL AND finish in a European spot domestically or Villarreal do the same with the Europa League and La Liga. So it’s win the trophy and finish 6th or better domestically 

If that doesn’t happen, the below appears to be true

Taken from Twitter:

the SC winners will go into EL Q3 (seeded) and play 1 of the 3 losers from CL Q2nc, which contains Celtic, PSV, Galatasaray, and the Austrian, Danish and Czech runners up.

4 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Looks like there’s a spanner in the works with this Europa League Playoff round for the winner. 

The latest is that this will only happen if Chelsea win the CL AND finish in a European spot domestically or Villarreal do the same with the Europa League and La Liga. So it’s win the trophy and finish 6th or better domestically 

If that doesn’t happen, the below appears to be true

Taken from Twitter:

the SC winners will go into EL Q3 (seeded) and play 1 of the 3 losers from CL Q2nc, which contains Celtic, PSV, Galatasaray, and the Austrian, Danish and Czech runners up.

And if we lose in EL Q3, we’d go into the Conference League play-offs. So we still give ourselves a fighting chance of securing that windfall if we win the cup. Just have to work a bit harder and win one of those ties to secure European football until December (or hope for a Chelsea win in the CL final).

40 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

And if we lose in EL Q3, we’d go into the Conference League play-offs. So we still give ourselves a fighting chance of securing that windfall if we win the cup. Just have to work a bit harder and win one of those ties to secure European football until December (or hope for a Chelsea win in the CL final).

Just hope Steve hasn't agreed bonuses on the strength of what the media told us.

Doesn't the loser of The EL Q3 go straight into the group stages of the new thing (whatever its called)?

I find it dubious that that would have been changed at this stage of the season, and that it hasn't been reported on any major news website that I've seen.

11 minutes ago, skivealive said:

Doesn't the loser of The EL Q3 go straight into the group stages of the new thing (whatever its called)?

I find it dubious that that would have been changed at this stage of the season, and that it hasn't been reported on any major news website that I've seen.

No, the loser of the EL play-offs would go straight into the group stages of the Conference League. The loser of EL Q3 would go into the Conference League play-offs.

It's being reported on various news websites today. The Sun and the Scotsman are two I've seen already.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Exactly. Still the opportunity there. I wouldn't rule out saints beating some decent teams if we keep the side together. Just to add to the general confusion, I think we want Chelsea to win the CL, but to finish 5th or 6th in the EPL. If they qualify via the league, then a whole other set of criteria apply and we miss out.

Still, we are in Europe regardless and if we dont win the cup, I think we are seeded for first tie, so would hopefully get at least a couple of rounds regardless of where we enter. 

16 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Just to add to the general confusion, I think we want Chelsea to win the CL, but to finish 5th or 6th in the EPL. If they qualify via the league, then a whole other set of criteria apply and we miss out.

Yeah I think that's the case. Hibs fans seem to think so too (there's an even more confusing conversation going on on their forum).

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?352174-Guaranteed-Group-stage-football/page6

Chelsea's win last night makes it pretty unlikely that they'll finish outside the top 4 now.

What I don't get is why it seems to be that Cup winners from Cyprus (who are below us in the coefficient) would now be getting the play-off place that we thought the Scottish Cup winners would get.

If Saints were to win the Cup, then get into the play-off by winning EL Q3, does that mean we wouldn't be seeded in the play-off?

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Yeah I think that's the case. Hibs fans seem to think so too (there's an even more confusing conversation going on on their forum).

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?352174-Guaranteed-Group-stage-football/page6

Chelsea's win last night makes it pretty unlikely that they'll finish outside the top 4 now.

What I don't get is why it seems to be that Cup winners from Cyprus (who are below us in the coefficient) would now be getting the play-off place that we thought the Scottish Cup winners would get.

If Saints were to win the Cup, then get into the play-off by winning EL Q3, does that mean we wouldn't be seeded in the play-off?

looking at wikki where it has the draw all set out there seems no doubt that the cup winners go into that place. Where has this come form one guy on twitter or is it the SFA officially?

11 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Remember when you won the cup, you went into a simple knock-out competition with other teams who won their cup?

This is pish. It should be crystal clear what you get if you win. 

Exactly. Champions only play other champions, cup winners only play other cup winners and everyone else accepts a place in the Forfarshire Cup.

14 hours ago, california_saintee said:

I guarantee that the BBC reporter is getting their information from Kassiesa too. UEFA won't say anything until they publish the final access list in a few weeks.

Out of interest, do you know where Kassiesa is getting it from? It seems to be an unofficial site run by one guy, and it has no 'About' page. Just wondering how it is that he knows about these changes when UEFA themselves don't say anything.

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Out of interest, do you know where Kassiesa is getting it from? It seems to be an unofficial site run by one guy, and it has no 'About' page. Just wondering how it is that he knows about these changes when UEFA themselves don't say anything.

It's a bunch of folk who do their own interpretations based on published regulations & rules from UEFA -- they have an active forum -- and then Bert Kassiesa updates his site accordingly.