St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

Actually, I got that wrong. Try again.

We go into the 3 rd Qualifying Round of the EL. Win that, and then win the next round, the PO round, and we are in the EL Group Stage.

If we lose in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, we drop into the Conference PO Round. Win that and we are in the Conference Group Stage.

If we win in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, and then lose in the EL PO Round, we drop straight into the Conference Group Stage.

15 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Actually, I got that wrong. Try again.

We go into the 3 rd Qualifying Round of the EL. Win that, and then win the next round, the PO round, and we are in the EL Group Stage.

If we lose in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, we drop into the Conference PO Round. Win that and we are in the Conference Group Stage.

If we win in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, and then lose in the EL PO Round, we drop straight into the Conference Group Stage.

I don't think you were wrong. We basically get two chances to win a tie to get into a group stage. At the very least, we get a couple of Euro trips (hoping that covid travel restrictions ease up!)

So, things are getting clearer. After today's games, we know that the Sparta Prague will finish as the Czech League runners up.

Eyes now turn to the final day of the Danish Superliga and the Swiss Cup Final on Monday, and the Europa League Final on Wednesday.

We'll play one of:

• Austria Rapid Wien
  • Galatasaray
  • PSV Eindhoven
  • Sparta Prague
  • Danish league runners up (Brøndby, Midtjylland, or Copenhagen)
  • Swiss cup winners (St Gallan or Luzern)*

*If Man Utd win the Europe League

The way the seeding works seems a bit unfair to me. If I'm understanding this correctly it seems that even though we're seeded in EL QR3, we'll have to play against a team dropping down from the Champions League qualifiers, so we'll basically end up with one of the hardest games possible. Surely as a seeded team entering the competition at a later stage we should be drawn against one of the teams that has won in EL QR2?

I just really hope we avoid Galatasaray.

13 hours ago, california_saintee said:

So, things are getting clearer. After today's games, we know that the Sparta Prague will finish as the Czech League runners up.

Eyes now turn to the final day of the Danish Superliga and the Swiss Cup Final on Monday, and the Europa League Final on Wednesday.

We'll play one of:

• Austria Rapid Wien
  • Galatasaray
  • PSV Eindhoven
  • Sparta Prague
  • Danish league runners up (Brøndby, Midtjylland, or Copenhagen)
  • Swiss cup winners (St Gallan or Luzern)*

*If Man Utd win the Europe League

And if Man Utd lose?? Could we be welcoming them to Perth???

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

The way the seeding works seems a bit unfair to me. If I'm understanding this correctly it seems that even though we're seeded in EL QR3, we'll have to play against a team dropping down from the Champions League qualifiers, so we'll basically end up with one of the hardest games possible. Surely as a seeded team entering the competition at a later stage we should be drawn against one of the teams that has won in EL QR2?

From what I've read, nothing is still set in stone, and a final decision made after both Euro finals. But I'm certainly not getting my hopes up- the European Super League may be dead, but clearly UEFA still pander to bigger teams. Basically SFA on steroids.

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

If Rangers or Celtic get as far as the Champions League qualifiers and lose could we be drawn against one of them?