St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

Alright, I think I get it. So if we lose our first tie, drop into final qualifying for conference league- which is still pretty damn good as 123 odd (can't be arsed counting up exactly) clubs will have been knocked out in preceding 3 conference qualification ties. Final qualification tie for conference, lose, we're out, win happy days. Alternatively, win our first qually tie in euro league, we go into final qualification for euro league. It's a win-win for us, guaranteed entry into conference if we lose that tie, if we win (!!!) Into European league. 

On that basis, and I never thought I'd say this, let's hope Man Ure win. Get rid of PSV & Galatasaray. Be interesting who else makes it through qualification in the EL slot. Another first, I'll be watching the first 2 rounds of EL qualification. Quite interesting.

But whoever did that chart deserves to be put back in the dusty file box he/she lives in.

36 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Alright, I think I get it. So if we lose our first tie, drop into final qualifying for conference league- which is still pretty damn good as 123 odd (can't be arsed counting up exactly) clubs will have been knocked out in preceding 3 conference qualification ties. Final qualification tie for conference, lose, we're out, win happy days. Alternatively, win our first qually tie in euro league, we go into final qualification for euro league. It's a win-win for us, guaranteed entry into conference if we lose that tie, if we win (!!!) Into European league. 

On that basis, and I never thought I'd say this, let's hope Man Ure win. Get rid of PSV & Galatasaray. Be interesting who else makes it through qualification in the EL slot. Another first, I'll be watching the first 2 rounds of EL qualification. Quite interesting.

But whoever did that chart deserves to be put back in the dusty file box he/she lives in.

If there's no chance of a trip in the qualifying rounds due to Covid travel restrictions, then we should all hope for the easiest possible tie, which is Luzern. Win that and we're guaranteed another four away games (PO + group stages).

12 hours ago, SaintinReading said:

Part of me wants us to get someone like PSV or Galatasaray. 

But I think we might be financially better off getting the "Easier" teams and getting through to the group stages

We absolutely want to get the most winnable tie possible. If we can get into a group stage, we're guaranteed to meet one or two big guns there.

On another note: I'm assuming that because of Covid, the likelihood is these games will be played without any away fans present. But if that's not the case, I think we could definitely do without having to handle Galatasaray fans in Perth.

10 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

We absolutely want to get the most winnable tie possible. If we can get into a group stage, we're guaranteed to meet one or two big guns there.

On another note: I'm assuming that because of Covid, the likelihood is these games will be played without any away fans present. But if that's not the case, I think we could definitely do without having to handle Galatasaray fans in Perth.

Eses boys would be on our side.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Too cold for them. 

13 hours ago, california_saintee said:

You're exactly right, but the devil's in the details:

- There's a rule that two clubs from the same association can't be drawn together in this round (so we won't meet Celtic)

- If Man Utd win the Europa League this week, EL-Q3 grows to 4 cup winners from countries 13-16, and CL-Q2nc shrinks from 6 teams to 4.

With you so far - thanks.  So if Man Utd win then country 16's cup winners join us and country 16 are Cyprus.  So we cheer for Man Utd right?

15 hours ago, california_saintee said:

You're exactly right, but the devil's in the details:

- There's a rule that two clubs from the same association can't be drawn together in this round (so we won't meet Celtic)

- If Man Utd win the Europa League this week, EL-Q3 grows to 4 cup winners from countries 13-16, and CL-Q2nc shrinks from 6 teams to 4.

So do we want Man U to win!!!

3 hours ago, south inch said:

With you so far - thanks.  So if Man Utd win then country 16's cup winners join us and country 16 are Cyprus.  So we cheer for Man Utd right?

My mistake, they already changed it from 13-15 to 14-16, and the Cypriot cup winners are already there. But they're seeded and we won't play them. 

If ManU win, it's the cup winners from 17 who move up - that's Luzern. They'd be unseeded and we could be drawn against them. 

Unfortunately, none of the potential teams are on the governments green list.

I would imagine the list will change as we go through the summer. If that doesn't, then I wonder whether the qualifying ties might revert back to a single leg like last season?

On paper, other teams would all be favourites, but with this saints team, I would rule out beating nobody.

Of course, there is the covid wildcard. That could throw up all sorts of potential revellers.

Vienna, Prague and Eindhoven would be both a great trip and relatively accessible in normal times. All well connected and have loads of close by airports and travel routes. I'd go as far to say Eindhoven is fairly straight forward to drive to via the channel tunnel. 

Don't hold your breath about Covid, especially as Johnson's government has completely stuffed up the Indian variant. It'll sadly still be around. What governments do with regards to attending matches is anyone's guess. We've (in Victoria) gone into another mild lockdown as of last night, because of.... 6 confirmed cases (not Indians, but Indian variant). 

Some breaking news, and I don't want to get everyone's hope up, but...

UEFA are meeting on Thursday to finalise the competition access lists and, according to a respected source over at kassiesa.net the contingency to promote Luzern from the ECL to the EL qualifiers isn't set in stone, and is on the agenda for discussion. So if Man Utd win on Wednesday, there will be a decision to either do that or to promote Saints to the play-off round instead.

So I guess we definitely want a Utd victory?

4 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

I would imagine the list will change as we go through the summer. If that doesn't, then I wonder whether the qualifying ties might revert back to a single leg like last season?

On paper, other teams would all be favourites, but with this saints team, I would rule out beating nobody.

Of course, there is the covid wildcard. That could throw up all sorts of potential revellers.

Vienna, Prague and Eindhoven would be both a great trip and relatively accessible in normal times. All well connected and have loads of close by airports and travel routes. I'd go as far to say Eindhoven is fairly straight forward to drive to via the channel tunnel. 

Doesn't matter about the lists, Just fly via Malta or wherever.......get that second jab done pronto. 

1 hour ago, california_saintee said:

Some breaking news, and I don't want to get everyone's hope up, but...

UEFA are meeting on Thursday to finalise the competition access lists and, according to a respected source over at kassiesa.net the contingency to promote Luzern from the ECL to the EL qualifiers isn't set in stone, and is on the agenda for discussion. So if Man Utd win on Wednesday, there will be a decision to either do that or to promote Saints to the play-off round instead.

So I guess we definitely want a Utd victory?

There's *another* news story today suggesting that Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are going to be kicked out of next season's Champions League for their recent Superleague shenanigans.

If that happens (and I can't see it), a Villareal victory in the EL final  would give as a play off spot too!

8 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Ferry from Newcastle! 

less than 100 miles from the port 

Edited by Pat McGroin

3 hours ago, california_saintee said:

There's *another* news story today suggesting that Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus are going to be kicked out of next season's Champions League for their recent Superleague shenanigans.

If that happens (and I can't see it), a Villareal victory in the EL final  would give as a play off spot too!

Screenshot_20210526-063403_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Would absolutely love to go to any of these places, but at the moment I'm expecting there's a good chance these games will be home fans only. That's if fans can get in at all.

9 hours ago, california_saintee said:

This is all sounding increasingly dodgy to me. Surely the qualification criteria and rounds that teams entered in should all be dictated by a transparent system, decided by team achievements/points/coefficient. The fact that it apparently comes down to people discussing it at a meeting seems very open to under-handedness to me. Given the amount of money potentially at stake, what's to stop someone at Luzern (or at Saints, or at any other club for that matter) offering some of the people at that meeting a little sweetener to make sure the decision goes their way? It's all so complicated and cloak-and-dagger that it feels like UEFA could basically say anything and everyone would just have to assume it's fair and go along with it.

9 hours ago, california_saintee said:

I saw the penalties given out to those who changed their minds and left the Super League - surprisingly steep (all financial). If that is the benchmark, it wouldn’t be at all surprising if the 3 clubs standing by the Super League arnt absolutely hammered. Indeed, expulsion from the CL might be the least of their worries.