St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

7 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Uefa have banned away fans from going to qualifying games. 

I am going. I will be there no matter what. Fk that shit, really after the Minsk nonsense.... we might not make Europe again for 20 years, so not taking that chance! SEE YOU THERE in a PSV shirt :)

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Latest chat from the government is that double vaccinated should be able to travel without quarantining on return. 95% sure this will be the case by August. 

Not much point in travelling if you can't get into the games though. These clubs will probably only offer tickets to season ticket holders or members.

By the same token, I reckon it's becoming pretty clear that if you want to have any chance of being at the McDiarmid Park legs, you'll need to be a season ticket holder.

I just hope that at the very least there will be a streaming option for all the games.

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Not much point in travelling if you can't get into the games though. These clubs will probably only offer tickets to season ticket holders or members.

By the same token, I reckon it's becoming pretty clear that if you want to have any chance of being at the McDiarmid Park legs, you'll need to be a season ticket holder.

I just hope that at the very least there will be a streaming option for all the games.

Yep, a season ticket just wouldn't work for me, more a time than a money thing, so I have accepted that I will just have to miss out on home European games this time.

17 hours ago, McCarry One Nil said:

Good decision at long last by UEFA - away goals rule scrapped - now Extra Time and Penalties if required

Away goals rule scrapped in Uefa competitions including Champions League - BBC Sport

Honestly not sure why this is a good decision or what benefit it will bring. I quite liked the rule: I felt it often added extra excitement to second legs. Although it was interesting to read UEFA's reasoning: apparently they have statistics that show home advantage has pretty much disappeared as a relevant factor over the years.

I had a look back at Saints' European record yesterday and the only tie decided on away goals was Alashkert. With this new system, that one would have gone to extra-time.

On the one had, great that they are getting away of the away goals as I don't think it is as relevant as once was. Was brought in when an away European game was a massive track and involved unusual travel, whereas now, for some teams, no more of a hassle than domestic games re staying in hotels and even  flights etc. 

On the other hand, the away goals added to the drama and different feel of European games.

I suspect it will help scottish clubs as historically we dont do too well away from home. Also keeps games alive as nothing worse than having a game that is essentially dead as soon as a team already winning from a first leg score an away goal and a team needs 2-3 goals to even take it to extra time. 

The away goal rule was brought in to stop negative play . The Italians were masters of going away from home and defending their 18 yard line getting a 0v0 making it a a 1 game tie. The away goal rule brought in positive play with teams looking for the away goal.

Time will tell if this is a negative or positive move 

It maybe did have its place once but agree that needing to score 3 goals to avoid losing a tie, when the opposition have only scored 2 goals isn't fair. 

The situation described above where you lose 1-0 away then the opposition get the first goal in the home leg was just a game killer.

• 3 weeks later...

We will find out our opponents when the draw is made on Monday (July 19th) so it’s about time we had a dedicated Europa League campaign thread.

We will play our 3rd Qualifying Round matches on 5th and 12th August.

With Aberdeen today being granted 5-6000 capacity at Pittodrie, you would hope that means we could apply for 2-3000 for our home leg. I think given everything, that would be seen as a bit of a result, especially if it was closer to the 3000 mark.

Better buy a season ticket now folks!!

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

We will find out our opponents when the draw is made on Monday (July 19th) so it’s about time we had a dedicated Europa League campaign thread.

With Aberdeen today being granted 5-6000 capacity at Pittodrie, you would hope that means we could apply for 2-3000 for our home leg. I think given everything, that would be seen as a bit of a result, especially if it was closer to the 3000 mark.

I would imagine that given we have c2,000 - 2,500 ST's sold already (seen 2,400 a few places) then if limit is 3,000 there would likely be no or very little general sale.

By the time you take into account stewards, media, players, officials and opposition travelling officials, we'd be about the 3,000 already.

Obviously each stadium configuration will be different, but Aberdeen may benefit from having some uncovered seats and quite a bit of hospitality boxes.

Hopefully restrictions are eased more before our games, but I would be surprised if for the EL qualifiers we get much more than 25% of capacity. Celtic are getting 9k, which is 15%. 

1 hour ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I thought I read somewhere that if we were at home on 5th club were applying for 5k and if it’s 12th then they hope restrictions lifted and full capacity. Depends how things play out over next couple of weeks I guess.