St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

Absolutely massive game for us, whichever team we end up playing. If we can keep the score tight in the first leg I'd really fancy us to do something at McDiarmid, especially if we can get a big crowd in (possibly wishful thinking, but with no crowd restrictions we could probably come close to filling all four stands for this).

Such a shame that we're not going to be able to go on an away trip for this one, but I imagine the local police will be very pleased not to have to deal with the potential possibility of Galatasaray fans descending on Perth.

If we were to be able to knock either team out, where would this rank in achievements by Saints? Assume just behind the 3 cup wins?

PSV would be best if were to get knocked out as we would assume their seeded position.

Galatasary I would say is slightly more winnable (not by much), but they are likely to be unseeded, so we would not get a seeding if we are in conference league. The list of teams in that scenario is frightening, Spurs, Roma etc.

What an envious position we are in, facing these calibre of teams on the back of a double winning season. Go back to the Stark/JC days and think how that would have sounded then!

16 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

If we were to be able to knock either team out, where would this rank in achievements by Saints? Assume just behind the 3 cup wins?

PSV would be best if were to get knocked out as we would assume their seeded position.

Galatasary I would say is slightly more winnable (not by much), but they are likely to be unseeded, so we would not get a seeding if we are in conference league. The list of teams in that scenario is frightening, Spurs, Roma etc.

What an envious position we are in, facing these calibre of teams on the back of a double winning season. Go back to the Stark/JC days and think how that would have sounded then!

I think it could be argued that getting to a European group stage would top the cup wins, in terms of difficulty. Not sure if you could say it tops what our team did in 71/72 when we were one game away from playing in a UEFA Cup quarter-final - but I think it would be on a par, as that team had to put out two very good sides to get to that stage and that's what we'll probably have to do now. 

At this point I'm thinking I want us to face PSV. Whoever we have to play is going to be massively difficult, but PSV would come with the preferable safety net. The difference between playing a seeded team and unseeded team in the Conference play-off is absolutely huge.

Funny you should mention Stark - I was just thinking the other day about how he used to tell us the fans had unrealistic expectation levels, when we were sitting around mid-table in the old First Division. All most of us really "expected" back then was to be good enough to mount a decent promotion challenge. Just goes to show the merits of having a bit of ambition.

6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Funny you should mention Stark - I was just thinking the other day about how he used to tell us the fans had unrealistic expectation levels, when we were sitting around mid-table in the old First Division. All most of us really "expected" back then was to be good enough to mount a decent promotion challenge. Just goes to show the merits of having a bit of ambition.

I would love for a journalist to go and speak to Stark about saints success. No, none of could have envisaged the last few years, but as you say, all fans wanted was a promotion charge and top flight stability. Not struggling vs QOS, Clyde and Stranrear. He was always negative about saints and Perth in general. Obviously of a generation and very old/new firm centric, but guys like him and his attitude have and still hold scotland back.

I think Galatasary would be more winnable, but as pointed out, PSV tie would give us a bigger chance of a longer European run if we loose.

If we get Galatasary, then I would imagine it will be an earlier kick off to fit in with Turkish tv. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

17 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

I would love for a journalist to go and speak to Stark about saints success. No, none of could have envisaged the last few years, but as you say, all fans wanted was a promotion charge and top flight stability. Not struggling vs QOS, Clyde and Stranrear. He was always negative about saints and Perth in general. Obviously of a generation and very old/new firm centric, but guys like him and his attitude have and still hold scotland back.

100% this. I think Saints have learned a lot since the days of making that sort of appointment.

41 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

There's talk on P&B that we may somehow get bumped out of a home tie v Galatasary due to Covid restrictions.

Talk of a neutral venue.

Hopefully all nonsense.

Hopefully nonsense indeed but in any case the informed opinion above is that we would be better placed seeding wise if we find ourselves playing PSV.

39 minutes ago, california_saintee said:

5-1. Tie's over. Time to prepare for hell, or is that story in the Herald true, and we'll be playing in a neutral venue?

Looks like Saints better start looking for a neutral ground in s country that the Turks will be allowed into.

Why is it we never get anything straightforward.

2014 had to play Simi & final at Ibrox & Parkhead,losing revenue.

2021 having to play behind close doors ,losing revenue.

Now this costing us at least £50 grand & very little or no crowd revenue.

23 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Looks like Saints better start looking for a neutral ground in s country that the Turks will be allowed into.

Why is it we never get anything straightforward.

2014 had to play Simi & final at Ibrox & Parkhead,losing revenue.

2021 having to play behind close doors ,losing revenue.

Now this costing us at least £50 grand & very little or no crowd revenue.

Wouldn’t of said we lost revenue. Especially as final was at parkhead so could of sold more tickets as bigger capacity than Hampden.

40 minutes ago, saintgscot said:

Wouldn’t of said we lost revenue. Especially as final was at parkhead so could of sold more tickets as bigger capacity than Hampden.

Yeah,but the cost of hiring Ibrox & Parkhead came out winners prize money I think.