St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scottish-government-to-assist-st-johnstone-over-potential-euro-venue-nightmare-against-galatasaray-3319318

First suggestion that the government could be willing to get something done.

I would hope that Steve Brown or even Geoff would come out and appeal to the government/football community to get something done here.

9 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scottish-government-to-assist-st-johnstone-over-potential-euro-venue-nightmare-against-galatasaray-3319318

First suggestion that the government could be willing to get something done.

I would hope that Steve Brown or even Geoff would come out and appeal to the government/football community to get something done here.

If the Government are going to intervene in some way then they'll need to act pretty bloody quickly. We need to confirm the venue with UEFA by Tuesday morning, which probably means Saints need to get something sorted out in principal today.

This is going to cost Saints an absolute fortune. Any club we contact and ask to use their ground, with such desperation and at such short notice, is surely going to hold us to ransom and ask for a huge fee? And on top of that we lose out on 50,000 we were due from UEFA for some reason.

I suspect playing a one-off game at a neutral venue would make everything a helluva lot easier and cheaper logistically for both parties - but can't help but think Galatasaray will see it in their interests to make things as difficult for Saints as possible (which would also mean sticking to two legs).

Wishful thinking but I did wonder if there's any chance of Turkey being removed from the red list imminently. It seems cases are pretty low there and there's bound to be pressure on the Government to open it back up, given its popularity as a holiday destination.

9 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

If the Government are going to intervene in some way then they'll need to act pretty bloody quickly. We need to confirm the venue with UEFA by Tuesday morning, which probably means Saints need to get something sorted out in principal today.

This is going to cost Saints an absolute fortune. Any club we contact and ask to use their ground, with such desperation and at such short notice, is surely going to hold us to ransom and ask for a huge fee? And on top of that we lose out on 50,000 we were due from UEFA for some reason.

I suspect playing a one-off game at a neutral venue would make everything a helluva lot easier and cheaper logistically for both parties - but can't help but think Galatasaray will see it in their interests to make things as difficult for Saints as possible (which would also mean sticking to two legs).

Wishful thinking but I did wonder if there's any chance of Turkey being removed from the red list imminently. It seems cases are pretty low there and there's bound to be pressure on the Government to open it back up, given its popularity as a holiday destination.

One off exemption granted by the Scottish Government with a heavily risk assessed visit seems like the only viable option.

34 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

As far as I can deduce. If we beat Galatasaray(LAUGH OUT LOUD) we would play any one of: 

AZ Alkmaar

Zorya Luhansk

Royal Antwerp 

Sturm Graz 

Randers

if we won that, we’d be in the Europa League group stages.

We will win.

And if we lose any of the above games we are in the Conference League.

What a season it's gonna be!!!!

Surely if saints get hit for 50k, then the SFA should step in and cover the cost? Its through no fault of Saints that we would take a hit. Surely they are the folk liasong with the scottish and UK governments being the footballing body in Scotland. Same must apply for other scottish teams too.

I would expect Ian Maxwell and Neil Doncaster are in constant contact with Daints over this and trying to find a venue.

On the venues, dies it need to be an actual stadium with a UEFA licence or could it be someones training ground? I know real Madrid used their training ground for games last season, but it was essentially a stadium. Just thinking we could maybe use something like France or Germany's version of St George's park.....

The English government won’t shift  just for Saints, but hopefully someone will point out to them that it could shortly be Man City or whoever in the same boat, with tens of thousands of Brexitty Boris-lovers baying for an exception. All that is needed is a bit of common sense and a minister’s signature. As said above, let them come with shitloads of precautions Not sure why, but I’m pretty convinced this will go ahead in Perth.

7 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

The English government won’t shift  just for Saints, but hopefully someone will point out to them that it could shortly be Man City or whoever in the same boat, with tens of thousands of Brexitty Boris-lovers baying for an exception. All that is needed is a bit of common sense and a minister’s signature. As said above, let them come with shitloads of precautions Not sure why, but I’m pretty convinced this will go ahead in Perth.

It won’t. 
Mighty Rangers or Celtic, absolutely!! 
Plebeian St.Johnstone, no chance!!

6 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I get what you’re saying, but that’s my point - it could well be them next. That’s what will shift them, not Saints as such. 

I am agreeing, and my point is that it isn’t them YET. If it were Rangers or Celtic now, it would be happening at a different pace.

You would hope that in this instance, we would see the benefit of having Steve Brown in his position on the SPFL board. 

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

7 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I am agreeing, and my point is that it isn’t them YET. If it were Rangers or Celtic now, it would be happening at a different pace.

You would hope that in this instance, we would see the benefit of having Steve Brown in his position on the SPFL board. 

I don't think SB is on the board now. I saw there were a few changes last week with Lawell leaving & Robertson of Rangers coming back in.

3 leaving ,SB & Brechin chairman & some others.

1 hour ago, Abernethy Saint said:

I don't think the UK government has a say in it.They say what the red countries are but SG doesn't always go along with them.

5 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Surely if saints get hit for 50k, then the SFA should step in and cover the cost? Its through no fault of Saints that we would take a hit. Surely they are the folk liasong with the scottish and UK governments being the footballing body in Scotland. Same must apply for other scottish teams too.

I would expect Ian Maxwell and Neil Doncaster are in constant contact with Daints over this and trying to find a venue.

On the venues, dies it need to be an actual stadium with a UEFA licence or could it be someones training ground? I know real Madrid used their training ground for games last season, but it was essentially a stadium. Just thinking we could maybe use something like France or Germany's version of St George's park.....

Agreed - guaranteed that if it had been either cheek of the OF arse then they'd be all over this like an OF fan scrapping for the last bottle of Buckfast.

I've seen plenty of references recently where it has been suggested that the 4 nations can take their own approach to travel restrictions.  If the Scottish Government want to help St Johnstone, as they have indicated, then it is well within their power to do so. An extract from the BBC published 6 days ago:

"Each UK nation sets its own travel rules.

A Scottish government spokesperson said ministers were "considering the best approach" for arrivals from France "as we look to adopt a four nation approach on international travel, where possible".

Wales said it would be following the change set by England, while Northern Ireland is yet to announce its intention."

Unfortunate for the Club, the Players and the fans, but I'm coming round to the idea that due to all the hassle and financial liability, that it might be best all round if we forfeit the games.

Hopefully a solution can be found to arrange the matches, in the limited time left.

12 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Unfortunate for the Club, the Players and the fans, but I'm coming round to the idea that due to all the hassle and financial liability, that it might be best all round if we forfeit the games.

Hopefully a solution can be found to arrange the matches, in the limited time left.

Prefer your early morning posts before you get a wee bit tired!

2 hours ago, Two Js said:

I've seen plenty of references recently where it has been suggested that the 4 nations can take their own approach to travel restrictions.  If the Scottish Government want to help St Johnstone, as they have indicated, then it is well within their power to do so. An extract from the BBC published 6 days ago:

"Each UK nation sets its own travel rules.

A Scottish government spokesperson said ministers were "considering the best approach" for arrivals from France "as we look to adopt a four nation approach on international travel, where possible".

Wales said it would be following the change set by England, while Northern Ireland is yet to announce its intention."

As I said, that’s what I thought, but here’s Saints’ MP writing to the English government, and you would assume he would know which government to write to. Hopefully, anyway......

27CA427D-3C48-47EE-97B5-16B70FE28F9D.jpeg

56 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Get that notion right in the bin. The prospect of glory, achievements and the prize money alone should see saints trying everything they can to get these games played and beat the Turks!

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Get that notion right in the bin. The prospect of glory, achievements and the prize money alone should see saints trying everything they can to get these games played and beat the Turks!

As  stated , hopefully a solution can be found.

Sounds like the potential cost of all this could be too much for Saints. Is it possible if this cant be arranged that we just have to forfeit the game. I find it hard to believe we are going to get help from any government or football body.