St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

california_saintee

8 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Apparently likely to be Greece or Cyprus for the away leg.

Don't think it will be here in Southern Cyprus (Oh what joy if it was) The Turks and the Cypriots still at war in their hearts The Cypriots are still fighting the the Turkish occupation of the north 1974. There is one  stadium in the north capable of hosting the game Nicosia Atatürk Stadium.

The main problem with it being in the north is getting there. Tourists (ST Johnstone supporters) are not allowed to cross into the north from the south. The airport in the north is Ercan. Flight into there are via Istanbul which is a red country. You do not want the away tie to be in Turkish occupied Northern Cyprus

17 minutes ago, Johnny B said:

Don't think it will be here in Southern Cyprus (Oh what joy if it was) The Turks and the Cypriots still at war in their hearts The Cypriots are still fighting the the Turkish occupation of the north 1974. There is one  stadium in the north capable of hosting the game Nicosia Atatürk Stadium.

The main problem with it being in the north is getting there. Tourists (ST Johnstone supporters) are not allowed to cross into the north from the south. The airport in the north is Ercan. Flight into there are via Istanbul which is a red country. You do not want the away tie to be in Turkish occupied Northern Cyprus

Good point. I take it having the home tie at McD saves us the 50k euros? Away leg is a bit of a nightmare then. No doubt Galatasaray will want it in Cyprus- their nutty fans will be there & heat will be a huge problem for us. Can't see them pursuing the Greek option for obvious reasons. If they're forced by UEFA into Iceland, most excellent. 

5 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Good point. I take it having the home tie at McD saves us the 50k euros? Away leg is a bit of a nightmare then. No doubt Galatasaray will want it in Cyprus- their nutty fans will be there & heat will be a huge problem for us. Can't see them pursuing the Greek option for obvious reasons. If they're forced by UEFA into Iceland, most excellent. 

Are the fans allowed to travel? I thought games at neutral venue were behind closed doors

No travelling fans at all allowed by UEFA in early rounds. You can go and support the away team I believe if you are already in-country, ie you don’t need to go in disguise. Best check that though. I assume games on neutral grounds are closed-door, but again, there’s so many rules in so many different places that change so often I’d check that too.

8 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

No travelling fans at all allowed by UEFA in early rounds. You can go and support the away team I believe if you are already in-country, ie you don’t need to go in disguise. Best check that though. I assume games on neutral grounds are closed-door, but again, there’s so many rules in so many different places that change so often I’d check that too.

Loads of Galatasaray fans made it into PSV game in Holland, not sure many will want to be in Perth after they get pumped by the double cup winning saintees in Istanbul.

Am I missing something? Why speculate over where the away leg will be? The problem lay at out end not in Turkey. With the travel restriction lifted for the teams, the home game will be in Perth and the away one in Turkey.

It only would have to have been a neutral venue because the Saints players weren't allowed to travel to Turkey and the Galatasary players were banned from entering the UK.

Because of the exemption, we can travel to Turkey in the same way PSV will be able to. 

3 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Am I missing something? Why speculate over where the away leg will be? The problem lay at out end not in Turkey. With the travel restriction lifted for the teams, the home game will be in Perth and the away one in Turkey.

It only would have to have been a neutral venue because the Saints players weren't allowed to travel to Turkey and the Galatasary players were banned from entering the UK.

Because of the exemption, we can travel to Turkey in the same way PSV will be able to. 

No i see now that the exemption covers both Galatasary travelling in to Scotland and Saints travelling to Turkey. 

18 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

The banning of travelling fans could really backfire (as it seemed to do for PSV), as instead of having away fans grouped together where they can be policed, you might end up with them sneakily buying tickets all over the stadium and causing trouble.

There's a fair number of Turkish people living in Scotland and I'd imagine a decent whack of those will be Galatasary fans. If the club gets the go-ahead to fill the stadium, would it be better to have a small away section for those people to buy tickets in? If there's a general sale, it'll surely have to be restricted to database-only, which would damage our chances of getting a truly big crowd. A lot to think about for Saints (and the police) here.

29 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

The banning of travelling fans could really backfire (as it seemed to do for PSV), as instead of having away fans grouped together where they can be policed, you might end up with them sneakily buying tickets all over the stadium and causing trouble.

There's a fair number of Turkish people living in Scotland and I'd imagine a decent whack of those will be Galatasary fans. If the club gets the go-ahead to fill the stadium, would it be better to have a small away section for those people to buy tickets in? If there's a general sale, it'll surely have to be restricted to database-only, which would damage our chances of getting a truly big crowd. A lot to think about for Saints (and the police) here.

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Let's all be honest, if we lived in Turkey, we'd be doing the same.

I dont think the Saints database is particularly up to date. In an ideal world, the club would have/still could, fire out a tweet to ask fans to e-mail the club with their details to be added to the database. Dont want any saints fans to miss out.

I would imagine the club may go down the route of ST holders being allowed to buy x number of extra tickets, I.E ST holders vouch for fans.

Obviously if the club see loads of requests from folk with very obviously Turkish surnames, they could do a wee follow up.

Back in the day the club would have issued vouchers at the game(s) before hand. Maybe do something similar, I.E if your name isn't on club database, only way to buy a ticket is to buy for Galatasary game and next league game. If a genuine fan cannot make next league game, club can deal with those request on an individual basis. 

Edited by TheYellowBox

8 hours ago, MySpazz said:

August 9th the guidelines change, so many of us will just have two days to get a ticket sorted!

The 9th is not confirmed date for changes and if it is confirmed FM will announce it probably this Tuesday or next so would give Saints time to make arrangements. I really cannot see clubs being given the green light to have filled stadia from 9 August without any social distancing at all. Can you?

7 hours ago, TheYellowBox said:

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Let's all be honest, if we lived in Turkey, we'd be doing the same.

I dont think the Saints database is particularly up to date. In an ideal world, the club would have/still could, fire out a tweet to ask fans to e-mail the club with their details to be added to the database. Dont want any saints fans to miss out.

I would imagine the club may go down the route of ST holders being allowed to buy x number of extra tickets, I.E ST holders vouch for fans.

Obviously if the club see loads of requests from folk with very obviously Turkish surnames, they could do a wee follow up.

Back in the day the club would have issued vouchers at the game(s) before hand. Maybe do something similar, I.E if your name isn't on club database, only way to buy a ticket is to buy for Galatasary game and next league game. If a genuine fan cannot make next league game, club can deal with those request on an individual basis. 

If you had a Turkish surname, would you not just use a fake name when buying tickets? 

21 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

If you had a Turkish surname, would you not just use a fake name when buying tickets? 

I think you are massively overestimating the amount of attention that is paid when selling/processing tickets. If you think our office staff can spot a Turkish name and then subsequently investigate whether that person is a Galatasaray supporter, tourist or Saints fan, then I think you are mistaken. 

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

5 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

I think you are massively overestimating the amount of attention that is paid when selling/processing tickets. If you think our office staff can spot a Turkish name and then subsequently investigate whether that person is a Galatasaray supporter, tourist or Saints fan, then I think you are mistaken. 

Saints would get into serious trouble from UEFA if it was known they were vetting fans on the basis they had a "Turkish name". It's also called racism.

1 hour ago, Melbourne Saint said:

Saints would get into serious trouble from UEFA if it was known they were vetting fans on the basis they had a "Turkish name". It's also called racism.

Eh no, well certainly what I suggested was if there was loads of folk suddenly pitching up with Turkish names it might just be a flag to the club. That's not racist. It's the same as if Saints are playing Rangers and we got a whole load of ticket requests for the saints end from Larkhall, club would maybe ask a question.

I say that as I didnt have a season ticket a few years back and because of a change in circumstances, was able to go to a home game vs Rangers. Lived Glasgow way at the time and got a hell of a grilling when I phoned the ticket office to try and get tickets. I am merely sating that if suddenly loads of Turkish guys phoned up wanting tickets, the club might just be a little suspicious or certainly they should be if we are not allowed Galatasary fans in. 

Just had a look at the wording used in UEFA's statement, and they say no "visiting fans" are allowed to attend. That's actually quite ambiguous. Is a Galatasaray fan who lives in Perth a "visiting fan"? If Saints were to set aside a section of the ground for Galatasaray fans who aren't "visiting", would they risk a fine from UEFA? The alternative would be to have them in amongst the home fans which could cause serious problems.

The more I think about it, the more I think there won't be a general sale at all, even if Covid restrictions have been lifted.

The best solution would be to set aside an 'away' end. Games are always better when there is some away fans. I'm sure the rules are about international travel, so if you are a Galatasary fan in Scotland, it is a bit rubbish if you could go and see your team, but are barred. Surely too, from a security perspective it is better to have all 'away' fans together and not dotted around the place in with home support.

However, UEFA are a bit inflexible when it comes to these things. They would argue that almost all of the big European clubs will have fans in whatever country they play in. Easier for them to just allow mixing of fans and put the responsibility back onto the home club for selling tickets.

Personally, would love 10k Saints fans, bit if we only sold 2k home tickets, then ebooks rather 2k away fans to pack the place out. Gut feel is that we will have restricted capacity, so will be pretty restricted general sale. 

There won't be an away end because just to get a ticket for the home end will mean being a season ticket holder or a sponsor, current or past few years.

There is NO WAY the club are going to open the sales up the public when they can pull in capital from who gets to go....

8 hours ago, MySpazz said:

There won't be an away end because just to get a ticket for the home end will mean being a season ticket holder or a sponsor, current or past few years.

There is NO WAY the club are going to open the sales up the public when they can pull in capital from who gets to go....

Surely this all depends on what the restrictions are going to be at the time of the game, which none of us know yet. I really don't see the point in stating these kind of things as if they're fact when all any of us can do is speculate.

9 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Who's going to Turkey for the game?

Passengers arriving from UK, Iran, Egypt or Singapore will require a negative PCR test taken within the 72 hours prior to arriving in Turkey. 

With a £2000 hotel red list quarantine on return? 

That’s a hard pass from me.