california_saintee

St Johnstone European campaign 2021-2022

Recommended Posts

Actually, I got that wrong. Try again.

We go into the 3 rd Qualifying Round of the EL. Win that, and then win the next round, the PO round, and we are in the EL Group Stage.

If we lose in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, we drop into the Conference PO Round. Win that and we are in the Conference Group Stage.

If we win in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, and then lose in the EL PO Round, we drop straight into the Conference Group Stage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Actually, I got that wrong. Try again.

We go into the 3 rd Qualifying Round of the EL. Win that, and then win the next round, the PO round, and we are in the EL Group Stage.

If we lose in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, we drop into the Conference PO Round. Win that and we are in the Conference Group Stage.

If we win in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round, and then lose in the EL PO Round, we drop straight into the Conference Group Stage.

 

I don't think you were wrong. We basically get two chances to win a tie to get into a group stage. At the very least, we get a couple of Euro trips (hoping that covid travel restrictions ease up!)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, things are getting clearer. After today's games, we know that the Sparta Prague will finish as the Czech League runners up.

Eyes now turn to the final day of the Danish Superliga and the Swiss Cup Final on Monday, and the Europa League Final on Wednesday.

We'll play one of:

  • Austria Rapid Wien
  • Galatasaray
  • PSV Eindhoven
  • Sparta Prague
  • Danish league runners up (Brøndby, Midtjylland, or Copenhagen)
  • Swiss cup winners (St Gallan or Luzern)*

*If Man Utd win the Europe League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, california_saintee said:

I don't think you were wrong. We basically get two chances to win a tie to get into a group stage. At the very least, we get a couple of Euro trips (hoping that covid travel restrictions ease up!)

 

 

Oh aye, you’re right! Doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hospital Radio Perth said:

Haven't been to Copenhagen for nearly 50 years.  That would do me.

Been twice in the last couple of years and I absolutely love the place. it’s up there with Budapest as my favourite weekend destination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way the seeding works seems a bit unfair to me. If I'm understanding this correctly it seems that even though we're seeded in EL QR3, we'll have to play against a team dropping down from the Champions League qualifiers, so we'll basically end up with one of the hardest games possible. Surely as a seeded team entering the competition at a later stage we should be drawn against one of the teams that has won in EL QR2?

I just really hope we avoid Galatasaray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure Uefa understands it.

Why was the coefficient actually changed at the t e last minute & why has the SFA not appealed it. Cut that last comment. It is only St Johnstone affected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, california_saintee said:

So, things are getting clearer. After today's games, we know that the Sparta Prague will finish as the Czech League runners up.

Eyes now turn to the final day of the Danish Superliga and the Swiss Cup Final on Monday, and the Europa League Final on Wednesday.

We'll play one of:

  • Austria Rapid Wien
  • Galatasaray
  • PSV Eindhoven
  • Sparta Prague
  • Danish league runners up (Brøndby, Midtjylland, or Copenhagen)
  • Swiss cup winners (St Gallan or Luzern)*

*If Man Utd win the Europe League

And if Man Utd lose?? Could we be welcoming them to Perth???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kenny aird said:

Hope we don't get Lucern. Brilliant fans but place is bowfers. A bit Methil- on- sea.

Did you sit in the stadium car park all day????? Rest of us were in town

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

The way the seeding works seems a bit unfair to me. If I'm understanding this correctly it seems that even though we're seeded in EL QR3, we'll have to play against a team dropping down from the Champions League qualifiers, so we'll basically end up with one of the hardest games possible. Surely as a seeded team entering the competition at a later stage we should be drawn against one of the teams that has won in EL QR2?

I just really hope we avoid Galatasaray.

From what I've read, nothing is still set in stone, and a final decision made after both Euro finals. But I'm certainly not getting my hopes up- the European Super League may be dead, but clearly UEFA still pander to bigger teams. Basically SFA on steroids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blueheaven said:

The way the seeding works seems a bit unfair to me. If I'm understanding this correctly it seems that even though we're seeded in EL QR3, we'll have to play against a team dropping down from the Champions League qualifiers, so we'll basically end up with one of the hardest games possible. Surely as a seeded team entering the competition at a later stage we should be drawn against one of the teams that has won in EL QR2?

I just really hope we avoid Galatasaray.

If Rangers or Celtic get as far as the Champions League qualifiers and lose could we be drawn against one of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

And if Man Utd lose?? Could we be welcoming them to Perth???

No, it would just mean that a spot opens up in the conference league playoffs and there would be some jiggling there instead, and the Swiss cup winners would stay there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...