Recreation Grounds

blueheaven

I'm guessing we don't have any fans left who would have watched Saints at our original Recreation Grounds home (they'd have to be at least 97!), but just wondered if anyone knows what the exact location of the ground was, and whether there are still any existing signs of the fact that there was a football ground there?

Best info I can find is that it was roughly opposite where the prison is now?

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I'm guessing we don't have any fans left who would have watched Saints at our original Recreation Grounds home (they'd have to be at least 97!), but just wondered if anyone knows what the exact location of the ground was, and whether there are still any existing signs of the fact that there was a football ground there?

Best info I can find is that it was roughly opposite where the prison is now?

Never seen anything that marks the spot but I understood it to be basically where A&J Stephens Builders are based - which is opposite the prison.

When I saw this photo, I hoped it was some part of the Recreation Grounds but if you follow the thread, you'll see it was actually a shop entrance on the road up to the entrance at the end of South Inch Place.

I wonder if we'll ever move ground again? There were rumours that the club were looking at the possibility not that long ago... 

1 hour ago, Radford 72 said:

I wonder if we'll ever move ground again? There were rumours that the club were looking at the possibility not that long ago... 

This is something I'd have loved to have heard Geoff Brown's view on during the recent podcast interview.  These rumours surface ever so often but it would be really interesting to hear if there's ever been any real truth in them.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

This is something I'd have loved to have heard Geoff Brown's view on during the recent podcast interview.  These rumours surface ever so often but it would be really interesting to hear if there's ever been any real truth in them.

With the amount of work done to create a grass training pitch at the side, it surely won't be any time soon.