Freedom of Perth

Shipa

9 hours ago, Melbourne Saint said:

What does it mean and who does it apply to?

I was going to ask this too. I have no idea what it actually means.

I'm all in favour of any recognition of Saints' achievement but what I really want to see is something permanent in the town that people can actually see. A statue. A mural. A plaque. Name something after the team. Anything along those lines. There was so much talk of this after the win in 2014 and as far as I can tell nothing happened. Is nothing going to happen this time too?

It’s an honour like the OBE or something, nowadays with no real privileges attached. Previous recipients in Perth include Churchill, the Black Watch, and the local army territorial unit. See wiki link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_City for general background.

Not to be sniffed at, but I agree that something more permanent and visible would be good as well. Plenty of new streets being built in Perth needing named. 

Statues are a bit old hat, in my view. They’re also very, very expensive.

2 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

It’s an honour like the OBE or something, nowadays with no real privileges attached. Previous recipients in Perth include Churchill, the Black Watch, and the local army territorial unit. See wiki link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_City for general background.

Not to be sniffed at, but I agree that something more permanent and visible would be good as well. Plenty of new streets being built in Perth needing named. 

Statues are a bit old hat, in my view. They’re also very, very expensive.

I still don't get it. Normally a "freedom of xyz city" means you can park wherever you want and get free access to city amenities. So.... No late fees for books fae the Sandeman and anyone associated with the club automatically gets to the front of the queue at the pool for the tube thingie (Covid permitting). Guess the same thing would apply to Tesco's etc. 

I reckon the council should convert a large  barge moored on the Tay into a supporters club. That would be most excellent. 

27 minutes ago, Melbourne Saint said:

I still don't get it. Normally a "freedom of xyz city" means you can park wherever you want and get free access to city amenities. So.... No late fees for books fae the Sandeman and anyone associated with the club automatically gets to the front of the queue at the pool for the tube thingie (Covid permitting). Guess the same thing would apply to Tesco's etc. 

I reckon the council should convert a large  barge moored on the Tay into a supporters club. That would be most excellent. 

“Council close primary school and buy floating pub with exclusive membership”. 

Oh God PLEASE let the Tories do that!

22 hours ago, Broggy Man said:

Has it not got something to do with farm livestock I might be wrong but memory says it’s got something to do with driving livestock or grazing

In Glasgow, supposedly, it gives the recipient the right to drive and graze cattle in Glasgow green. I really hope Billy Connolly will get round to it some day.

13 hours ago, garydavidson said:

In Glasgow, supposedly, it gives the recipient the right to drive and graze cattle in Glasgow green. I really hope Billy Connolly will get round to it some day.

The people of Perth already have that right with the condition of both the inches. Although not sure north inch green keeper would be happy but he can’t stop you.