Premier Sports Cup 2021/22

Cagey

11 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Hibs? That's because they actually have an attacking threat. 

We do not.

strange when you look at match stats Saints had 7 shots with 2 on target at goal Hibs 3.

3 shots on target and 3 goals :shock: 

Surprisingly saints also had more of the ball 29% compared to 21% not sure they did play it any different main difference they made their chances count.

Haven't caught any highlights yet and I had a pretty crappy view of the game from where I was sitting (not sure I've ever had a particularly great view of any game at Hampden - such a badly designed stadium), but I felt we put up a brave fight without ever really seriously troubling them. Celtic had 79% of the ball and to me it looked like it could have been even more than that, but they rarely did much with it. Shame, as I'd have absolutely fancied our chances of beating Hibs in another final if we'd managed to get there.

Surprised to see Eetu taking yet more stick on here (and can't people at least learn his name instead of calling him "the Finn" all the time?). I thought he looked pretty lively when he came on and he's at least eager to move the ball forward and have a shot at goal - qualities we really, really need in our team at the moment. For me he looks a bit unpredictable and I'd like to see what we can do with that - I don't want to see him forced into playing exactly the same way as Kane and May. We already have Kane and May to do that very well. What we need is someone who can offer us something different, some attacking spark.

Disappointed by the huge empty gap between the two small sets of Saints fans. It was hard enough for us to generate a bit of vocal backing for our team, without us being split up like that.

A good gutsy defensive display but where has our attacking flair gone. In the latter part of last season we were not prolific but we were creating lots of chances especially on the flanks with the wide player and wing backs creating problems. This season we rarely get in cross balls that count if one excludes the Dundee match. I suspect much of the problem is the absence of McCann who sprayed the ball about and supported the front. This season our central midfield is more destructive than creative.

An important transfer window for us.

57 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Haven't caught any highlights yet and I had a pretty crappy view of the game from where I was sitting (not sure I've ever had a particularly great view of any game at Hampden - such a badly designed stadium), but I felt we put up a brave fight without ever really seriously troubling them. Celtic had 79% of the ball and to me it looked like it could have been even more than that, but they rarely did much with it. Shame, as I'd have absolutely fancied our chances of beating Hibs in another final if we'd managed to get there.

Surprised to see Eetu taking yet more stick on here (and can't people at least learn his name instead of calling him "the Finn" all the time?). I thought he looked pretty lively when he came on and he's at least eager to move the ball forward and have a shot at goal - qualities we really, really need in our team at the moment. For me he looks a bit unpredictable and I'd like to see what we can do with that - I don't want to see him forced into playing exactly the same way as Kane and May. We already have Kane and May to do that very well. What we need is someone who can offer us some thing different, some attacking spark.

Disappointed by the huge empty gap between the two small sets of Saints fans. It was hard enough for us to generate a bit of vocal backing for our team, without us being split up like that.

Wondered why there was a gap between the fans, anyone know why ??

11 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Wondered why there was a gap between the fans, anyone know why ??

I suspect they probably expected to sell more tickets and the gap would be filled in. If they had sold them p3 first then on to p2 and 1 there wouldn’t have been a gap but the club were perhaps told they had to sell p1 first (furthest away fron the other section of saints fans) or they just expected to sell more. Really made for a frustrating atmosphere as it was hard to get a song going in the more expensive seats but if we had all been together the atmosphere would have been much better. 

1 hour ago, sideline said:

A good gutsy defensive display but where has our attacking flair gone. In the latter part of last season we were not prolific but we were creating lots of chances especially on the flanks with the wide player and wing backs creating problems. This season we rarely get in cross balls that count if one excludes the Dundee match. I suspect much of the problem is the absence of McCann who sprayed the ball about and supported the front. This season our central midfield is more destructive than creative.

An important transfer window for us.

The loss of McCann and Kerr is the main reason we are so poor this season and Callum has gone so negative and working on the theory that if you don't lose goals you don't lose games.

The loss of McCann means the loss of a ball winner who is comfortable on the ball and can see a pass. I would have hoped that Bryson could fulfill that role but try as he might he has not got the same engine.

We are missing Kerr's composure and ability on the ball. The defence seem to panic all the time and just clear the ball and give away possession instead of taking the ball down and setting up an attack.

52 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

I suspect they probably expected to sell more tickets and the gap would be filled in. If they had sold them p3 first then on to p2 and 1 there wouldn’t have been a gap but the club were perhaps told they had to sell p1 first (furthest away fron the other section of saints fans) or they just expected to sell more. Really made for a frustrating atmosphere as it was hard to get a song going in the more expensive seats but if we had all been together the atmosphere would have been much better. 

Looking at the game yesterday the Hibs fans seemed to be closer together but that could have been down to the fact there was about 10000 of them.

Is there s Rangers end & a Celtic end as I think Hibs were at the other end which may be more compact as there seemed to be a natural gap between P and A at the end we were at.

13 minutes ago, Cagey said:

The loss of McCann and Kerr is the main reason we are so poor this season and Callum has gone so negative and working on the theory that if you don't lose goals you don't lose games.

The loss of McCann means the loss of a ball winner who is comfortable on the ball and can see a pass. I would have hoped that Bryson could fulfill that role but try as he might he has not got the same engine.

We are missing Kerr's composure and ability on the ball. The defence seem to panic all the time and just clear the ball and give away possession instead of taking the ball down and setting up an attack.

Loss of Kerr definitely impacts on attacking play as he often stepped forward into the midfield and beyond. No one else doing that role. Our passing forward is definitely poor and usually revert to the punt upfield.

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Surprised to see Eetu taking yet more stick on here (and can't people at least learn his name instead of calling him "the Finn" all the time?). I thought he looked pretty lively when he came on and he's at least eager to move the ball forward and have a shot at goal - qualities we really, really need in our team at the moment.

He chested the ball down on the 18 yard line and found space for a shot - we should play him in midfield as he showed more composure in those moments than the rest of the team.

2 hours ago, John Bonham said:

Cheers fir that

14 hours ago, saintgscot said:

At least you were not like the Celtic fan asking the wee guy where his passport was.

Admirable calling this nonsense out but just as a heads up the adjective you’re using to describe the guy is inappropriate. Article here discussing why. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/uk/coloured-offensive-why-term-greg-clarke-fa-chairman-what-say-comments-resigned-756234/amp

There were times in the game where we perhaps could have been braver on the ball, but I thought the tactics were the most likely to give us an opportunity to get through. Completely get the argument that the football in the league (especially at home) should be a bit more expansive and entertaining, but in a cup game I want to get through and being entertained is not at all a consideration. 

We limited the opportunities they had very well, and one small error from Zander and a missed handball and we were punished. But the effort and discipline was excellent and thought we gave a really good show of ourselves. 

The day was fantastic as well, massive well done to those who organised the shed, and to the young team who organised the march to the ground and never stopped singing all game. Superb being part of such a passionate and supportive crowd. Numbers might have been poor but couldn’t ask for more from those that were there. 

Really good defence of our trophy, hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves in the big one as well. 

Have to say with the suspensions and injuries it does make Saturday against Hibs quite interesting as we will be forced to play differently. No Kane, May, Middleton or Wotherspoon. Will be really disappointed if they go with MOH as loan striker. Seems like a great opportunity to try something different. Its another game no one will expect us to win.

7 hours ago, Ali91 said:

Admirable calling this nonsense out but just as a heads up the adjective you’re using to describe the guy is inappropriate. Article here discussing why. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/uk/coloured-offensive-why-term-greg-clarke-fa-chairman-what-say-comments-resigned-756234/amp

I get what your saying but I didn’t say anything about colour.

8 hours ago, Ali91 said:

I was telling my daughter the other day about being raised in Perthshire in the 70’s. I did not see a black person, a gay person or a disabled person, apart from on tv, until I was in my 20’s in the 1980’s. Our parents provided for us in terms of food, clothes and a roof over our heads, but we were mostly left to get on with it. I can’t recall my parents ever asking me about my job or giving me advice or even having a discussion about what I was doing or intending to do. Times have changed massively and, for some, that may take a bit of getting used to, including appropriate and inappropriate use of language.

20 hours ago, Cagey said:

Looking at the game yesterday the Hibs fans seemed to be closer together but that could have been down to the fact there was about 10000 of them.

Is there s Rangers end & a Celtic end as I think Hibs were at the other end which may be more compact as there seemed to be a natural gap between P and A at the end we were at.

I thought it looked like that but they seemingly only had 5000 tickets sold according to the radio. 

Yeah the Rutherglen end of the ground is commonly known as the Celtic end with the other side being the Rangers end. Dont know why assume its the sides nearest their grounds.   

The gap between P and A is simply down to 2 different stands. 

For those in the area behind the goals what on earth happened midway through the first half to cause so many polis suddenly head into the stand? 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Price! The area between the fans was £30 and no concessions. 

I don't think that makes sense - that price difference existed for the Celtic fans too, but they still sold those seats.

Hampden really is a bit crap. Rubbish view of the match, massive gap between the fans and the pitch, most of the seats are too low down and it's also too small for any cup final involving the OF. And it's pointless having it in Glasgow. I don't really understand what the SFA were thinking when they redeveloped it.

32 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I don't really understand what the SFA were thinking when they redeveloped it.

About 18 months ago the SFA acknowledged Hampden had "lost atmosphere" and had set up a group to look at redevelopment- moving the stands closer (getting rid of the stupid athletic track). Not heard anything since.

Problem is money. It basically requires a complete rebuild. They can't go to the government, as that will (rightly) send folk nutty about not spending on NHS etc.